• Total voters

kocero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman 981, 992 Carrera 4S
Country flag
Hello,

I'm planning to get my first Taycan, which is hard to decide, because prices in my country are different from other countries.

I have two options; first is 2022 Taycan 4S which is brand new, second is 2020 Taycan Turbo S 3600 miles and of course Turbo S has better options than 4S.

Both are in same price but I'm not sure about the year difference. Are there any production differences or something that I should know about the year difference? And also what is the exact range difference between 4S and Turbo S after the update? Thank you so much.
Sponsored

thinkbusiness

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
What kind of a comparison is that? Even with the (low) mileage difference, you are comparing a 130K car to a 230K car. It’s like asking would you buy a new 4S or a Lamborghini with 5000 miles.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I would have a tough time choosing between those. The power of the Turbo S is amazing and hard to give up once you have tried it. On the other hand, the 2022 has Plug and Charge, and Porsche has had some time to sift through some of the issues in the 2020's (e.g., the heater which often failed).

This comes down to what you value - power or having a new car with a few more little things worked out.

ClubIsolation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Country flag
In situations like this I usually ask my self “which decision would I regret or not”. In this case, if the power of the 4S is adequate for you, it’s unlikely you would ever regret getting the new car. However, if you end up with the Turbo S and get annoyed by not having “plug and charge” and other things that may have been worked out, then it’s likely you may regret that purchase vs the new car. I guess in this case it depends if you really enjoy the launch experience frequently or not. It’s not like a 911 where the Turbo actually looks different and special. These cars are virtually identical in appearance. I’d probably get the new one. Or rather, the GTS I just bought.. :)

Last edited:

Icey4s

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo S, 21 Audi SQ8, 20 330i, 19 M5 C
Country flag
I have a 21 4s PB+ and actually was just able to drive a Turbo S yesterday for the first time. I will say, the power of the Turbo S is astonishing. That car was brutal launching it! I have a very high spec 4S ($149K) MSRP) so maybe that has something to do with it, but other than the added power, I didn't see the value in the Turbo S being $50+K more 🤷

I understand your case is a little difference as the price is similar, but another thing to maybe consider is warranty. Unless the Turbo S is certified.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
What are the options on each, what are the stickers, and what are the asking prices?

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
If the turbo s comes with a certification and it’s the color and wheels you like ,that’s the answer

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a 21 4s PB+ and actually was just able to drive a Turbo S yesterday for the first time. I will say, the power of the Turbo S is astonishing. That car was brutal launching it! I have a very high spec 4S ($149K) MSRP) so maybe that has something to do with it, but other than the added power, I didn't see the value in the Turbo S being $50+K more 🤷

I understand your case is a little difference as the price is similar, but another thing to maybe consider is warranty. Unless the Turbo S is certified.
I am itching to test drive the Turbo in particular, but similarly have a highly spec'd 4S with the pretty much exactly the options I'd want except RAS and PDCC, which I understand makes active driving on country roads etc more fun.

The only real reason I am tempted to upgrade is that the 4S feels like it's "running out" of acceleration steam somewhat at higher speeds. I would presume the Turbo keeps this up better, but feedback is welcome!

Icey4s

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo S, 21 Audi SQ8, 20 330i, 19 M5 C
Country flag
I am itching to test drive the Turbo in particular, but similarly have a highly spec'd 4S with the pretty much exactly the options I'd want except RAS and PDCC, which I understand makes active driving on country roads etc more fun.

The only real reason I am tempted to upgrade is that the 4S feels like it's "running out" of acceleration steam somewhat at higher speeds. I would presume the Turbo keeps this up better, but feedback is welcome!
I now have a 21 Turbo S haha! Completely agree with you on the 4S acceleration. I mean don't get me wrong, it was plenty quick but the Turbo S is just on another level as far as speed.

There are also a fair amount of upgrades that my 4S didn't have that I didn't know I was missing until I got the Turbo S. The 18-way seats, carbon interior and exterior, race tex roof, head up display, burmester and I love the deviated stitching I have on the Turbo S. Best car I have ever owned, hands down.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I now have a 21 Turbo S haha! Completely agree with you on the 4S acceleration. I mean don't get me wrong, it was plenty quick but the Turbo S is just on another level as far as speed.

There are also a fair amount of upgrades that my 4S didn't have that I didn't know I was missing until I got the Turbo S. The 18-way seats, carbon interior and exterior, race tex roof, head up display, burmester and I love the deviated stitching I have on the Turbo S. Best car I have ever owned, hands down.
So is there any actual difference in driving experience between Turbo and Turbo S if you exclude TS' higher output in overboost mode? Assuming they are comparably spec'd.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
The Turbo S is probably a little quicker when driving, not just on launch control. The 49-74 speed is 0.2s faster which is the same as the difference from Turbo to GTS and from GTS to 4S. And there are other standard features that most people won’t spec as extras on a Turbo like the ceramic brakes and handling features that people might spec

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For what it’s worth, I have a Turbo which feels like overkill a lot of the time. It is quite good fun though. Not sure how I would feel going back to a 4S although I was very happy with it when I had one. Never driven a Turbo S - probably best to keep it that way!

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Will try the Turbo and report back. Wondering if that is the point of no return for "upgrading" though:)

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Will try the Turbo and report back. Wondering if that is the point of no return for "upgrading" though:)
When I picked up the Turbo the sales guy told me it was a significant upgrade. I didn’t really believe him - until I drove it. He was right. 0.8s doesn’t sound much, but you can really tell the difference

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I don’t think you’ll have regrets getting the best. Plus you’ll already save a ton on depreciation. But I’m biased, I bought a 1 year old turbo s late last year, and it’s a joy to drive every day.
Sponsored