SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I came across this during my research as I am on the fence of pulling the trigger on a 2022 4S order or not.

This is a really concerning reality to me and while I do not have one yet, my test 4S car that I drove long distance on the highway was consistent with this graph, so when I set it to Range mode, it dropped speed to 60 mph which is a nonstarter on a typical 70 mph highway I was going and still had 100 miles to go. I wonder if the current owners who take their Taycans on the highway driving at 80 mph basically run out of juice after traveling 170 miles.

I started mapping my long-distance routes that I plan to travel, and it appears I have to stop more times than I thought I would have to. No wonder when I told the dealer that I can totally make a 220-mile round trip in the tester, they told me, well it depends on many factors, well speed is a major one for sure.

For example, I drove a 280-mile round trip to one of my work locations with EA station 60 miles into the trip and 120 miles out of 140 miles one way of traveling highway potential as high as 90 mph following traffic. So, I had to charge 2 times at that location to make it, one time on the way over, and another on the way back to make it home.

Then another route is 540-miles round trip with EA stations at 100 miles, 165 miles, and 255 miles, with destination 270 miles away and all highway at least going 80 mph for 90% of the route. So, I had to stop 3 times to make all the way around and back home.

My point is that the actual range if traveling at highway speeds of 80-90 mph is around what the graph is showing which is 170 miles which is my intended use. I have to dig into the details at what speed and other condition someone has to travel to get 250+ miles but that would certainly not apply to my use unless I have to drive at 50 mph on the highway that the graph is recommending.

Source: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a36877585/ev-1000-11-electric-cars-long-distance-race/
I actually read it in the printed magazine but found above link online.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S PBP: Speed vs. Range 1641430927337
Sponsored

swhsv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
1) Default Max speed in Range mode can be customized in the PCM menus. 2) If you have PIRM and are using the built in Nav system to drive to a destination, the max speed will adjust automatically based on route, and available charging along the way, etc. In those cases, I’ve seen the “max speed” at 85mph. 3) Actual range depends on lots of things in addition to speed - wheel size, tire, outside temperature, etc. 173 miles seems low compared to what I’ve seen on interstate road trips in my 2021 4S with PBP, 20” Sport aero wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires, and 75-80mph speeds

Last edited:

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
YMMV but I went over 200 miles with range mode set to 85 and going at that speed as often as I could. I was actually glad to have the speed limiter as otherwise it'd be hard to control myself from going faster.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
I easily go 200 mi going 90mph in my 4s+ Probably about 220 if I go 100-0 SoC

70mph sustained has repeatedly been shown to be worth 300 mi distance. So this graph is BS.

Also I thought this was widely know. Speed significantly affect distance.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I have mainly studied the effect of different driving styles on fuel consumption, which is analogous to range on an EV.
Speed is a major influence. My 1991 Merc 500E did about 22mpg in normal driving but commuting back home to Oxfordshire from central France as quick as I sensibly could I got nearer 9mpg.

Drag goes up with speed squared so at higher speed by far the biggest burner of fuel or consumer of electricity is aerodynamic losses.
The actual drag is proportional to the drag coefficient multiplied by frontal area so wider wheels will be a bit worse and a big car is always worse - The Taycan has a much bigger frontal area than many cars but SUVs are the worst.

Given these facts the thing that works best for saving energy in racing is coasting at the end of the fastest straight (ie what saves most energy for the least loss of lap time)

On road cars being on a busy motorway in a stream of traffic travelling at the same speed makes a big difference, around 15% on average.
Nowadays if I am travelling for economy I follow another un-aerodynamic vehicle travelling at a similar speed to me. A Range Rover is a good choice IME, I don't get close and "slip-stream" like in racing, which would give a bigger gain, but still get around 10 to 15% better fuel consumption than the same speed on my own.

My old boss, Tony Rudd RIP, loved the Cote d'Azure and have a weekend there several times a year, he used to take a works car free in return to an engineering report on the journey (he was chairman of the company) and he told me he had found that the quickest way to get there was to modulate his speed because one fewer re-fuelling stop was quicker than going faster and having to stop once more for petrol.

I don't think the speculation in the article that range loss with speed of EVs not having multi speed transmissions is technically valid. Synchronous electric motor efficiency is much wider than any IC engine (which are actually not very good at all...) and it will be more down to the efficiency of the inverter over the frequency range anyway I think.

The reality is all vehicles use more energy at high speed whatever their power source.
The range of both an EV and an IC engined car is reduced at higher speeds but this seems to be always ignored in discussions of EVs.

Last edited:

Dan1923

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
1) Default Max speed in Range mode can be customized in the PCM menus. 2) If you have PIRM and are using the built in Nav system to drive to a destination, the max speed will adjust automatically based on route, and available charging along the way, etc. In those cases, I’ve seen the “max speed” at 85mph. 3) Actual range depends on lots of things in addition to speed - wheel size, tire, outside temperature, etc. 173 miles seems low compared to what I’ve seen on interstate road trips in my 2021 4S with PBP, 20” Sport aero wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, and 75-80mph speeds
I've dug into the PCM menus and can't find the place where you set the max speed for range mode. What's the selection sequence to get to the settings?
Thanks in advance!

Dan1923

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I've dug into the PCM menus and can't find the place where you set the max speed for range mode. What's the selection sequence to get to the settings?
Thanks in advance!
Found it. You have to press the "..." button with Driving selected

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks in advance!
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S PBP: Speed vs. Range 1641562714160

Then ...

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S PBP: Speed vs. Range 1641562661325

Note that PIRM may override your setting when active.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
I have gone on several road trips now (longest 1400 miles), in spring, summer and winter temps. It does depend on what the temps are as well as speed, but I average 80-90 mph on the interstates, which tend to be most of the trips I’ve taken and i get over 200 miles very easily and I dont use range mode at all. In summer/spring temps, i get over 250 miles of range fairly consistently. In winter (40F-20F), yeah it’s much closer to 200 miles but still over 200. On back roads where I average 45 -65 mph, I get much closer to 300 miles in range. This car really gets far better range than it is advertised. Where you lose range is those hard accelerations and going faster than 70 of course drains it faster, but 80- 90 doesnt totally kill it. BTW, i have the larger battery pack, so i can’t speak for the smaller one but from what I’ve seen, it’s not all that dramatically different.

samfrancisjr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
1641562714160.png

Then ...

1641562661325.png

Note that PIRM may override your setting when active.
When I am in the first screen above then I click the three dots it does not take me to Range drive mode configuration, it takes me to Options>Vehicle Settings - any idea why it won't take me to the Range drive mode configuration? Thanks!

PNWEV

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, Tesla Model 3, Mercedes 3500XD
Country flag
If I can make it 136 miles going 100 MPH without getting pulled over, I'm good. I'll push it home and be happier than driving my wife's model 3 a million miles.
Sponsored