Propofoln

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I do moved to a Tacan from 3 sequential Telsa'. It is like stepping back in time SW while. How can a company like Porsche not get this right. it fails to impress both on-car and on the app. Whether the 'feel and handling over come these negatives as I settle into driving it is TBD
well I’m currently ddiving my model S plaid to pick up my dog from groomers, after driving my Taycan for a few hours this am. Turning the plaid in back to Tesla today for the buy back. I’d take the Taycan any day over the Plaid. This thing rides like crap and is Noisy
Sponsored

Martin OBrien

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
well I’m currently ddiving my model S plaid to pick up my dog from groomers, after driving my Taycan for a few hours this am. Turning the plaid in back to Tesla today for the buy back. I’d take the Taycan any day over the Plaid. This thing rides like crap and is Noisy
Well I hope I feel the same 3 months from now. What I am already convinced about is it will have to ride and handling that wins out as it won’t be the SW

Propofoln

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well I hope I feel the same 3 months from now. What I am already convinced about is it will have to ride and handling that wins out as it won’t be the SW
tesla truly is an iPhone on wheels. The driving experience isn’t in the same league as a Porsche

Martin OBrien

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
tesla truly is an iPhone on wheels. The driving experience isn’t in the same league as a Porsche
TBD in my mind. Performance is similar so it is all down to handling (not yet assessed). I kept my iPhone as nothing matched it.

Propofoln

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
TBD in my mind. Performance is similar so it is all down to handling (not yet assessed). I kept my iPhone as nothing matched it.
Ugh, you obviously have never driven both. The Tesla Plaid rides like crap compared to the Taycan. Bumpy, suspension feels schizophrenic compared to the smoothness of the Taycan. Yes it handles better too, I’m just talking about ride comfort.

Martin OBrien

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
c
Ugh, you obviously have never driven both. The Tesla Plaid rides like crap compared to the Taycan. Bumpy, suspension feels schizophrenic compared to the smoothness of the Taycan. Yes it handles better too, I’m just talking about ride comfort.
Correct, never driven a plaid but so far (couple of days) I am not wowed vs. Model 3 performance model

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
c

Correct, never driven a plaid but so far (couple of days) I am not wowed vs. Model 3 performance model
Rest easy. The Taycan is a better driving car. Not necessarily a better EV (particularly with the CCS charging problems in the U.S.) but for the person holding the steering wheel the Taycan is simply more rewarding. Unlike @Propofoln my Tesla was a very comfortable riding, good handling and quiet car (Performance S, 19" summer tires). Very customizable chassis settings. I still find the Taycan to be an order of magnitude better. The Porsche software is what it is and the learning curve could be less steep, but you can get it to do pretty much what you need it to do. Find some nice rural roads and push the car a little. You won't regret getting the Taycan.

Propofoln

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Rest easy. The Taycan is a better driving car. Not necessarily a better EV (particularly with the CCS charging problems in the U.S.) but for the person holding the steering wheel the Taycan is simply more rewarding. Unlike @Propofoln my Tesla was a very comfortable riding, good handling and quiet car (Performance S, 19" summer tires). Very customizable chassis settings. I still find the Taycan to be an order of magnitude better. The Porsche software is what it is and the learning curve could be less steep, but you can get it to do pretty much what you need it to do. Find some nice rural roads and push the car a little. You won't regret getting the Taycan.
mine were the 21 inch wheels, but giving my opinion driving both TODAY

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
mine were the 21 inch wheels, but giving my opinion driving both TODAY
Please don't think I am disputing how your Plaid drove. Far from it. I've not driven a Plaid much less yours. I was saying that even though I was coming from a car I thought was pretty nice to drive (and I did get a good one. Zero issues) the Taycan was a noticeable improvement. @Martin OBrien, coming from a Model 3, just needs more time driving his new car in order to appreciate just how good a driver's car it is.

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Tesla Model X Pld, '24 GLS450
Country flag
Tesla is funny because people either hate or obsess over them. The truth is they are very good cars and well worth the money (especially now after the price reduction). The X and S are MUCH better to drive than the Y and 3, respectively...but obviously twice the price...but you really feel that difference.

Tesla has made me take a lot of features for granted. I was looking at buying a RSQ8 the other day...$150K car...didn't have remote start. WTF.

Porsche not having a Dash Cam built-in when the cameras are already there. WTF.

Back to the topics at hand:

I agree that the preheat issues are a result of poor cell connectivity at the vehicle. I've had an issue with the app a couple times, but just need to log out of my porsche, then log back in.

If the '25 Taycan refresh is anything like the '24 Cayenne refresh...buy the '24 Taycan! I did NOT like what they did to the Cayenne...I don't know how you mess with the iconic shape of the headlights.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I do moved to a Tacan from 3 sequential Telsa'. It is like stepping back in time SW while. How can a company like Porsche not get this right. it fails to impress both on-car and on the app. Whether the 'feel and handling over come these negatives as I settle into driving it is TBD
I moved to a Taycan after a 50+ yeear long string of cars, all of which I kept quite a long time (and still have 2 cars I bought new 32 and 25 years ago.
I found the software in the Taycan massively more comprehensive than I needed in a car and I have hardly used any of it!

The ergonomics of the steering wheel and its controls are nice IMO but the touch screen is as cr@p as they all are, jack of all trades and master of the unintended selection, so was a bit disappointed the heater controls are on a screen but in the end I found I rarely need any adjustment and the only major irritation is switching seat heating on and off.

The last 2 inovations in a car that I really appreciated and genuinely made things more convenient were central locking and Sat-Nav, and I have satnav on my phone anyway and so don't need it in the car, though it is handier.

TBH the reason I didn't buy a Tesla was the poor ergonomics. I see that a touch screen solution is much, much cheaper to produce and versatile. But monumentally horrid IME. Control ergonomics has been sacrificed to interior styling too much over the last 20+ years or so IMO :)

Martin OBrien

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I moved to a Taycan after a 50+ yeear long string of cars, all of which I kept quite a long time (and still have 2 cars I bought new 32 and 25 years ago.
I found the software in the Taycan massively more comprehensive than I needed in a car and I have hardly used any of it!

The ergonomics of the steering wheel and its controls are nice IMO but the touch screen is as cr@p as they all are, jack of all trades and master of the unintended selection, so was a bit disappointed the heater controls are on a screen but in the end I found I rarely need any adjustment and the only major irritation is switching seat heating on and off.

The last 2 inovations in a car that I really appreciated and genuinely made things more convenient were central locking and Sat-Nav, and I have satnav on my phone anyway and so don't need it in the car, though it is handier.

TBH the reason I didn't buy a Tesla was the poor ergonomics. I see that a touch screen solution is much, much cheaper to produce and versatile. But monumentally horrid IME. Control ergonomics has been sacrificed to interior styling too much over the last 20+ years or so IMO :)
As a 50 years owner of 38 cars including every German brand I have to say I am an interface fanatic and nothing I have every owned comes even close to Tesla which is simple and intuitive to use. The learning curve is a tiny fraction of traditional cars including the Taycan and I have never needed to refer to a manual. The speed with which you can get to every function and its superb interaction with the app spoils you for much else. I bought the Taycan because it gets great reviews for “driving”, I wanted something different, the exterior lines appeal and I cannot but a Tesla S in the U.K. I hope in 6 months I will be past the learning curve and enjoying the reported “handling”. If you don’t care about the tech as you say then. Tesla is not for you. I currently predict my next car will be a Lucid Air or another ‘new entrant’ maker unless I become addicted to the Porsche

wlin

First Name
Will-I-Am
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' 9J1 CT, 21' 982 Jahre25, 21' Tesla WhtStar
Country flag
Agreed.

@Propofoln, @gtm, @f1eng , @Martin OBrien, and @SlyStyle all make very good points about each car.

Tesla is EV first and driver’s car second (iPhone on wheels), where Porsche is Driver’s car first and EV second (Performance GT trying to catch up on tech). No car is perfect and we are all blessed to have choices!

My 3 cents
Taycan CT: Great handling - feels like you’re gliding on a track especially at higher speeds, smoother and more civil ride, Amazing interior build quality (although the genuine leather scratches easily 🤬), Exterior appeal - bystander attention and “nice car!” comments (Definitely a negative if you like staying under the radar), Tech is still great (Night Vision, HUD, Massage Seating - not available in a Tesla!) but Remote ParkAsst is nothing compared to the TeslaBUT does have Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.

Model S Plaid: Fastest production car - blistering acceleration (able to out-accelerate an Audi RS7 on the hwy with ease), Amazing technology (Remote AC/windshield defrost, Summon - a gimmick feature buggy at times but makes you feel like James Bond in Tomorrow Never Dies back in 1997 w/ his E38 750iL 😬, Sentry mode cameras - you can almost use it as your security cameras for remote monitoring), unfortunately no Night Vision, HUD, Massage Seating or Apple CarPlay/Android Auto (but who cares with all the other tech that comes in the car!?).

Take each car for its merits and enjoy the best of what they offer. If you want the fastest car/pure speed and the best technology, get the Tesla. If you want an amazing driver’s car with a racing heritage and great build quality, get the Porsche.

Or, if you have the resources, get both 🙃

Sponsored

Last edited: