Taycan connection to the "outside world" and its importance.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I have been concerned about any need for a Taycan to have permanent or almost permanent connection to the "outside world".

I have reasonable wifi signal in my garage and a reasonable 4G 'phone signal too but at my brother's home in the Scottish borders there is zero phone signal and any internet connection is very slow - no point in video and photographs download very, very slowly.
At our daughter's house on Anglesey in Wales there also is zero phone signal and I am pretty sure their excellent high speed internet connection does not have wifi strong enough to reach to where I park.

I have never owned a car that ever needed any sort of external connection but am concerned not doing so in a Taycan could lead to problems like discharged 12V battery or crashed OTA software problems.

Generally I find it best to disable all automatic software updates and just do them when I know I have access to a fast enough connection for long enough.

Anybody got any ideas about if this will be a problem? So many companies just take it for granted that everybody has connection all the time it is amazing.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have been concerned about any need for a Taycan to have permanent or almost permanent connection to the "outside world".

I have reasonable wifi signal in my garage and a reasonable 4G 'phone signal too but at my brother's home in the Scottish borders there is zero phone signal and any internet connection is very slow - no point in video and photographs download very, very slowly.
At our daughter's house on Anglesey in Wales there also is zero phone signal and I am pretty sure their excellent high speed internet connection does not have wifi strong enough to reach to where I park.

I have never owned a car that ever needed any sort of external connection but am concerned not doing so in a Taycan could lead to problems like discharged 12V battery or crashed OTA software problems.

Generally I find it best to disable all automatic software updates and just do them when I know I have access to a fast enough connection for long enough.

Anybody got any ideas about if this will be a problem? So many companies just take it for granted that everybody has connection all the time it is amazing.
Unfortunately the Taycan can't connect to an external WiFi hotspot (Russian spec cars can and is permitted) so that WiFi option is out for connectivity to the car.

In US you can purchase a cellular extender that connects to your WiFi (router) but they aren't available in UK and so another non-starter.

The only current option that I'm aware of is to rely on the standard LTE connectivity that you get with the car and activate for 3 years with your Porsche Connect Services - everything goes through this.

You can add a separate 4G data package but this is only for sharing through the car's PCM internal wifi hotspot to occupants of the car (in the same way that you'd share your phone data package with enabling the hotspot feature) for devices which either don't have a data package or aren't LTE enabled but WiFi capable. This option won't help.

12V battery won't be an issue - this was resolved as part of WMA5 / 6 and is now topped up from the HV battery should it loose juice.

Software updates are few and far between - to date relate to mapping updates, calendar updates, news updates and other 'soft things'. Nothing material has been pushed to the Taycan to date.

Disabling updates and / or switching Privacy Mode on will only disable updates that you are notified off and remote access to the car. This does not mean that Porsche can't access the car - signal permitting. For this reason there is no reason to either disable the updates or enable privacy mode. Major software updates are performed at the dealership (luckily).

I honestly don't think you need to be overly concerned - frustrated for sure as access via My Porsche App will be sporadic should you have cause to use it (you don't actually need it and is for convenience only).

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unfortunately the Taycan can't connect to an external WiFi hotspot (Russian spec cars can and is permitted) so that WiFi option is out for connectivity to the car.

In US you can purchase a cellular extender that connects to your WiFi (router) but they aren't available in UK and so another non-starter.

The only current option that I'm aware of is to rely on the standard LTE connectivity that you get with the car and activate for 3 years with your Porsche Connect Services - everything goes through this.

You can add a separate 4G data package but this is only for sharing through the car's PCM internal wifi hotspot to occupants of the car (in the same way that you'd share your phone data package with enabling the hotspot feature) for devices which either don't have a data package or aren't LTE enabled but WiFi capable. This option won't help.

12V battery won't be an issue - this was resolved as part of WMA5 / 6 and is now topped up from the HV battery should it loose juice.

Software updates are few and far between - to date relate to mapping updates, calendar updates, news updates and other 'soft things'. Nothing material has been pushed to the Taycan to date.

Disabling updates and / or switching Privacy Mode on will only disable updates that you are notified off and remote access to the car. This does not mean that Porsche can't access the car - signal permitting. For this reason there is no reason to either disable the updates or enable privacy mode. Major software updates are performed at the dealership (luckily).

I honestly don't think you need to be overly concerned - frustrated for sure as access via My Porsche App will be sporadic should you have cause to use it (you don't actually need it and is for convenience only).
Thanks.
I would prefer it if there was a mode so it just worked like all the cars I have had for the last 50 years with no need for any sort of connectivity needs whatsoever. Dealer update is the best option for me.

After being an early adopter of file based music listening 20+ years ago I have gone back to CDs and LPs simply because of early obsolescence or slow software updates required in the hardware I used. My CD player works perfectly after 25 years but I have gone through thousands of pounds worth of digital hardware for streaming and playing my own music files all of which are now door stops due to being too old to update, too slow or no longer supported.

It would be a shame if I ended up with a car that gets worse as it gets older for these sorts of reasons :(

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks.
I would prefer it if there was a mode so it just worked like all the cars I have had for the last 50 years with no need for any sort of connectivity needs whatsoever. Dealer update is the best option for me.

After being an early adopter of file based music listening 20+ years ago I have gone back to CDs and LPs simply because of early obsolescence or slow software updates required in the hardware I used. My CD player works perfectly after 25 years but I have gone through thousands of pounds worth of digital hardware for streaming and playing my own music files all of which are now door stops due to being too old to update, too slow or no longer supported.

It would be a shame if I ended up with a car that gets worse as it gets older for these sorts of reasons :(
The hope is connectivity will improve - you may get lucky with your LTE module and is less fussy in terms of a solid connection than mine is.

For any updates your car will pick them up as and when but annoyingly whilst it notifies you of the update (held if you don't permit auto update) but once applied there is no log you can access to refer back to.

Also bear in mind that if you subscribe to PVTS+ (Security Tracking) that it uses its own box of tricks and talks to Vodafone (Vodafone service) and is a separate annual subscription.

Sadly much tech these days is 'disposable' to a point and has a limited shelf-life. In the case of an EV I'm sure the vehicle will continue to work but there will come a point that it can't be upgraded but remains functional. Is that a problem - too early to call?

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
can we add our own sim card to use for data?

I have unlimited data and currently transfer data from my sim to the one in my car so i can record my dash cam to the cloud and also kids passengers can use car data in our cayenne. I cant seem to locate if ther eis a sim card slot (dont have our car yet so cant just check and couldnt find it in the GTK app

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sadly much tech these days is 'disposable' to a point and has a limited shelf-life. In the case of an EV I'm sure the vehicle will continue to work but there will come a point that it can't be upgraded but remains functional. Is that a problem - too early to call?
I have no problem if it remains functional. I haven't missed not having updates to my car for the last 50 years and none of thethings which may benefit from being on line or improve with updates are of any interest to me.
My concern is that it eventually just won't boot up.

I have PC based music servers which basically no longer work because of incompatibility to software updates and an iMac I bought thinking it would make a good music server with a big screen for artwork but it no longer will take any OS updates and boots so slowly I basically don't bother to use it any more.

If an EV (or a music server...) was super cheap because it is in reality a disposable re-cyclable commodity that would be fine but they are not.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
can we add our own sim card to use for data?

I have unlimited data and currently transfer data from my sim to the one in my car so i can record my dash cam to the cloud and also kids passengers can use car data in our cayenne. I cant seem to locate if ther eis a sim card slot (dont have our car yet so cant just check and couldnt find it in the GTK app
No you can't add a physical SIM. The available 'e-sim' is reserved for the data package and is internal to the PCM / hidden elsewhere. Historically the PCM in Porsches has had a physical slot.

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
No you can't add a physical SIM. The available 'e-sim' is reserved for the data package and is internal to the PCM / hidden elsewhere. Historically the PCM in Porsches has had a physical slot.
had a feeling that would be the case!

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

I had/have the same concern about Taycan's need for "outside world" connection. At least some of the "outside world" connection are the Porsche Connect services. My 2022 4S has at least 43 Porsche Connect services listed in the PCM (Home...Settings...Privacy & Porsche Connect...List of all Porsche Connect Services).
Not all of the items on the list are media and navigation aids, which you would expect to require outside connection.

Among the services listed are:
Authentication, Car Control, Car Assist, Charging, and Online PCM Updates.

Some of the services are grayed out, meaning that they cannot be deactivated by the driver, or bypassed even by enabling Private Mode. Authentication and Emergency Call are two of these.

The questions are:
What "essential functionality" - not media and navigation aids - does the car lose if there is no "outside world" connection?
What functions/services/features in addition to those in the Porsche Connect list are lost if there is no "outside world" connection?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I had/have the same concern about Taycan's need for "outside world" connection. At least some of the "outside world" connection are the Porsche Connect services. My 2022 4S has at least 43 Porsche Connect services listed in the PCM (Home...Settings...Privacy & Porsche Connect...List of all Porsche Connect Services).
Not all of the items on the list are media and navigation aids, which you would expect to require outside connection.

Among the services listed are:
Authentication, Car Control, Car Assist, Charging, and Online PCM Updates.

Some of the services are grayed out, meaning that they cannot be deactivated by the driver, or bypassed even by enabling Private Mode. Authentication and Emergency Call are two of these.

The questions are:
What "essential functionality" - not media and navigation aids - does the car lose if there is no "outside world" connection?
What functions/services/features in addition to those in the Porsche Connect list are lost if there is no "outside world" connection?
For "essential functionality" isn't the answer 'none' - the car will function without any connectivity (barring PVTS+ for security tracking / theft measures - this would disable the car if stolen) - and in time dependent Connect services would be out of date?

For the secondary question the PVTS+ would be one plus Porsche's own back door to your car (which we know / assume exists).

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is certainly going that way but not for me yet!
My current car has the sat nav map installed and it is updated annually. I can optionally connect using my phone to get traffic information, which is useful rather than essential.
For music I mainly use radio of my own files on a memory stick and I do have a sat nav on my phone with the whole of Europe in it but it is no longer supported since on-line is more profitable but a PITA when you go places with no phone signal so I keep it for as long as the maps are reasonably valid..

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
It is certainly going that way but not for me yet!
My current car has the sat nav map installed and it is updated annually. I can optionally connect using my phone to get traffic information, which is useful rather than essential.
For music I mainly use radio of my own files on a memory stick and I do have a sat nav on my phone with the whole of Europe in it but it is no longer supported since on-line is more profitable but a PITA when you go places with no phone signal so I keep it for as long as the maps are reasonably valid..
I seldom even use my phone in the car (I find I can't concentrate on the phone and driving at the same time) so often don't even have the Bluetooth switched on.
I do use the Internet radio for streaming (v useful for me) a lot.

Otherwise its DAB stations.

Don't have Apple carplay / Spotify / streaming services etc etc and use a USB for my own music library.

I find the Nav with RTA useful and the App quite useful (sometimes laggy).

So I agree with the OP.....but it's like everything else in life. Its only going one way, so you may as well embrace the tech to work for you.

They won't suddenly stop making connected cars and use less tech (but I wish they would).
Just more and more reliance on (5G) connectivity.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I seldom even use my phone in the car (I find I can't concentrate on the phone and driving at the same time) so often don't even have the Bluetooth switched on.
I do use the Internet radio for streaming (v useful for me) a lot.

Otherwise its DAB stations.

Don't have Apple carplay / Spotify / streaming services etc etc and use a USB for my own music library.

I find the Nav with RTA useful and the App quite useful (sometimes laggy).

So I agree with the OP.....but it's like everything else in life. Its only going one way, so you may as well embrace the tech to work for you.

They won't suddenly stop making connected cars and use less tech (but I wish they would).
Just more and more reliance on (5G) connectivity.
Let's hope 5G doesn't interfere with the tech on the Taycan then given this week's delays in US due to aircraft safety concerns!

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@f1eng : I live in farm on the country with almost no GSM signal, but I don’t have any problems with updates…they are done, when I’m outside, when i’m driving or the car is being parked in the garage at work where LTE is available.

kanthai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My Taycan was imported from the UK and has a UK e-sim. Suffice to say, my car didn't have any connection at all for most of its life (4500km). The only thing not working is Porsche ID related services such as Porsche connect app, OTA, FoD. The NAV is working but useless, as it only has an EU map. Surprisingly, Smart-lift did work, despite not seeing anything on the map. I guess it only utilizes GPS coordinates and does not use map data.

If you want reassurance that your Taycan will not need an internet connection to function properly, yes it will, but you have to make do without Porsche ID.

No connection = No Porsche ID = forever guest mode.
Sponsored