A Taycan crashed and burned in China, a couple died inside the car due to door cannot be open from outside

OP
OP

garlokleung

First Name
GARLOK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN
Country flag
I am also a Taycan owner and very concern about this safety issue as well. According to the news, people cannot rescue the couple inside the car due to the door locked and cannot be open from outside. Policemen are still investigating the issue.

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I am also a Taycan owner and very concern about this safety issue as well. According to the news, people cannot rescue the couple inside the car due to the door locked and cannot be open from outside. Policemen are still investigating the issue.
Terrible and very sad news. I think locked doors are a problem with all cars in accidents, not limited to electric cars.

OP
OP

garlokleung

First Name
GARLOK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN
Country flag
Terrible and very sad news. I think locked doors are a problem with all cars in accidents, not limited to electric cars.
Yes, it is very upset and what is worse is that the couple have a 9-year-old daughter and now she lost her parents…

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
I for one accept the risk of a locked door in a crash. It seems a much better alternative than getting jacked at a traffic light.
First responders are equipped with devices to quickly break safety glass. It does not hurt to keep one in the console with a belt cutter combo.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Wonder why the doors don't unlock in the event of a crash? Wasn't that the case with the Tesla "S" where an occupant was found in the back seat?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I thought in the US cars had to have a feature where the doors unlock automatically when the car detects a significant impact. Glass breaker in the glove box is important.

People also need to keep in mind that the probability of a fire resulting from an accident is still lower in an EV than in an ICE car.

BurntToast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1986 944 turbo and 2022 Taycan GTS (soon)
Country flag
I believe the doors are supposed to automatically unlock if a crash is detected . I have a spring-loaded glass breaker in the arm rest but they don't work on laminated glass. In my mind it's better than not having any tools available to attempt an escape.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Doors are indeed supposed to automatically unlock in the event of a crash. If the crash happens to damage the systems that perform the unlocking, then you are out of luck. Very sad to see the video either way.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
OP
OP

garlokleung

First Name
GARLOK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN
Country flag
Doors are indeed supposed to automatically unlock in the event of a crash. If the crash happens to damage the systems that perform the unlocking, then you are out of luck. Very sad to see the video either way.
Yes, the locking issue is not only happened on electric cars. But the burning speed and fire of electric car is different compared with ICE cars. It does not give you much time to escape which makes it more dangerous especially if you got shock or dizzy after the crash and take a few minutes to wake up.

Reactions: B61

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Yes, the locking issue is not only happened on electric cars. But the burning speed and fire of electric car is different compared with ICE cars. It does not give you much time to escape which makes it more dangerous especially if you got shock or dizzy after the crash and take a few minutes to wake up.
I am certain an ICE car fuel tank rupturing in a crash and then exploding will happen far more quickly than an EV car catching fire.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
I believe the doors are supposed to automatically unlock if a crash is detected . I have a spring-loaded glass breaker in the arm rest but they don't work on laminated glass. In my mind it's better than not having any tools available to attempt an escape.
It would be interesting to see exactly what it takes to break our laminated glass windows. Little hammers, big hammers, etc. As a last resort, one can always use a 9mm solution (at least in the US) but that would pose other unintended risks/consequences for bystanders.

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Taycan CT 4S, '24 BMW XM, '23 Honda Ridgeline
Country flag
If people were around, why didn't someone break out a window to try and save the couple? Not sure how hard it would be to break the glass, but surely a rock or something could have been used. If the fire was already large, then I can understand, otherwise it seems as though there was a solution that was ignored in favor of only trying the door handles.

OP
OP

garlokleung

First Name
GARLOK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN
Country flag
If people were around, why didn't someone break out a window to try and save the couple? Not sure how hard it would be to break the glass, but surely a rock or something could have been used. If the fire was already large, then I can understand, otherwise it seems as though there was a solution that was ignored in favor of only trying the door handles.
News reported that the fire spread too fast and there is no enough time to try other solution to open the door to rescue them.
Sponsored