Taycan - Daily Driver even in Winnipeg Winter?

OP
OP
TaycanCanuck

TaycanCanuck

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 AMG GLC43
Country flag
It's unclear if you will be plugging in every night. In that climate you should really should. If you have an issue, it will be the car sitting in a parking lot at -30C for a large part of the day. That is the temperature your battery will be at and it will be very slow to charge so you would not want to arrive at the lot with a low state of charge for the battery.
Sorry... I thought it would be obvious to have a charger at home. Absolutely. That is the convenient side of EVs - not having to go somewhere to wait and "fill up" on a regular basis.

So a typical winter day would be starting fully charged - and then drive around 40-60KM round trip - but parked outside for the cold days! I need to be able to take kids to soccer (yes, even in winter - but indoor facilities) which could be another 100KM return in a day. This is why I need the 150-200 in a day comfortably to avoid any range anxiety.
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I am considering purchasing a Taycan 4S. I know I am preaching to those who love Taycan's - enough to join a forum - but I am looking for honest feedback.

I like to drive one car. All year. But I live in Winnipeg - and yes - our winters can be harsh.

Range: No problem for me. Largely city driving with some highway in the summer.
Space: Kids are growing up. Enough space!
Performance: I think the 4S or GTS is the sweet spot. Feels good throughout the speed ranges for me.

I currently drive an AMG GLC43. I previously had an E550 and C43 (lower than a Taycan). My wife has a 2021 Yukon Denali - which we share on crazy winter days.

I have driven these EVs: Tesla 3, S, X, BMW i4 M50, iX M70?, Taycan base, 4S, GTS.
I also considered an Audi GT - but this Taycan is in stock. Anything I order may end up with a new "Luxury Tax" in the fall - which is not insignificant.

Questions:
Will this car give me enough clearance in the winter for most days?
Will range be OK in our really cold winter?

IMG_3676.jpeg
If you are considering the Taycan than you should also consider the Audi cousin - the e-tron GT sedan as well. Looks really good in person and is also on par with the cars you’ve owned/driven. If you have access to home charging and dont do alot of very long distance driving, then range shouldn’t rank high on your list in terms of decision making. I saw an Audi sedan today on the road in the same-ish color as the one in this photo and it looks fantastic. Also has real buttons inside (which I prefer). I am a wagon guy so the CT is for me but the Audi should be considered for those getting a sedan. There are fine details in terms of driving dynamics which make the Taycan more compelling for a primary daily driver where 1/2 the year is bad weather, the Audi shouldn’t be overlooked.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
I am considering purchasing a Taycan 4S. I know I am preaching to those who love Taycan's - enough to join a forum - but I am looking for honest feedback.

I like to drive one car. All year. But I live in Winnipeg - and yes - our winters can be harsh.

Range: No problem for me. Largely city driving with some highway in the summer.
Space: Kids are growing up. Enough space!
Performance: I think the 4S or GTS is the sweet spot. Feels good throughout the speed ranges for me.

I currently drive an AMG GLC43. I previously had an E550 and C43 (lower than a Taycan). My wife has a 2021 Yukon Denali - which we share on crazy winter days.

I have driven these EVs: Tesla 3, S, X, BMW i4 M50, iX M70?, Taycan base, 4S, GTS.
I also considered an Audi GT - but this Taycan is in stock. Anything I order may end up with a new "Luxury Tax" in the fall - which is not insignificant.

Questions:
Will this car give me enough clearance in the winter for most days?
Will range be OK in our really cold winter?

IMG_3676.jpeg
If you're interested you can check out a recent report of my first full-on Winter with my 2021 Taycan 4S.

Drove it in Edmonton in January. It was -34 C for a lot of the time. The Taycan was AWESOME.

Here's the link:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...rctic-blast-2022-stuttgart-strikes-back.8584/

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I drove my Taycan through two Colorado winters and racked up most of my miles in the mountains. I never once had an issue with clearance. Overall the car was rock solid in the snow. As you noted, range will suffer in the cold, but otherwise it is a great winter daily driver.

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
OP
OP
TaycanCanuck

TaycanCanuck

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 AMG GLC43
Country flag
I like this idea for you too.

Not sure if you like it, but there is a beautiful Neptune Blue cross turismo available in BC. You can see it here: https://finder.porsche.com/ca/en-CA/details/porsche-taycan-4-cross-turismo-preowned-Y56V6M

Transporting it to Winnipeg would be cheaper than the luxury tax.
Interesting.

I was working on a deal on a 4S with the local dealer and they sold it from under me. The is is a tactic by a greedy dealer…. So I won’t buy locally.

this one is interesting. I will consider - quickly!

OP
OP
TaycanCanuck

TaycanCanuck

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 AMG GLC43
Country flag
I drove my Taycan through two Colorado winters and racked up most of my miles in the mountains. I never once had an issue with clearance. Overall the car was rock solid in the snow. As you noted, range will suffer in the cold, but otherwise it is a great winter daily driver.
What model?