Taycan in cold climates - your experience?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
how is that you cannot get 230-250 peak (not average)? I had 200-205 (peak) at one Ionity, end of Dec, -8 celsius (that is 17 F), initial SOC 11% and 28 celsius initial battery temp. And with the PCM battery protection on...
I think I could get more if I unticked the PCM option.
The EVSE may not be offering up the higher throughout even though it may be rated up to 350kW - one of the many variables we can't control.
Sponsored

ElGordo

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Turismo (2)
Country flag
CT drives amazingly well in snow.

As the subject is specific to Taycans in cold climates - here are two engineering flaws…curious if anyone has a work around or if I am just dumb.

1. Any snow that collects on the hood turns into a solid block of ice if you don’t clear it quickly as there’s no heating system underneath to melt it like on an ICE vehicle.

2. When we have a car outside in a snow storm I can’t seem to be able to lift the front or rear windshield wipers off the glass. The mechanism doesn’t seem to allow it at least not in any obvious manner.

Invariably they freeze to the windshield so when you preheat the car, the top portion will melt but all the snow below them has to be physically removed or it freezes as well. This also means the wipers themselves have to be cleaned repeatedly to get the frozen ice off so they can actually do their job.

Odd and imprecise engineering vs the Porsche standard of excellence esp in cold climates.

Any suggestions? Curious how others handle this when a garage isn’t an option.

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Has anyone ever experienced door handle frozen shut and won’t popped up after unlocking?

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
2. When we have a car outside in a snow storm I can’t seem to be able to lift the front or rear windshield wipers off the glass. The mechanism doesn’t seem to allow it at least not in any obvious manner.
Does this help? Same process as changing the wiper blades, except leave the arms up and folded out while parked in the snow. From the Good To Know app:
Porsche Taycan Taycan in cold climates - your experience? 0FB5A31D-5A3D-4D85-A285-B558FF67790A

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
RWD car for me and on summer tyres. Had a day of snow a few weeks back and the rear was poor to the extent that I had to get pushed up a very mild incline. Thought it would be better due to the weight of the car and its distribution. No doubt would be better on winter tyres but cant justify for the odd day of disruption!Didn't have the usual ICE option of being able to drop a gear to get some traction. Learning as I go along but stole the other half's X5 for the day!

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
RWD car for me and on summer tyres. Had a day of snow a few weeks back and the rear was poor to the extent that I had to get pushed up a very mild incline. Thought it would be better due to the weight of the car and its distribution. No doubt would be better on winter tyres but cant justify for the odd day of disruption!Didn't have the usual ICE option of being able to drop a gear to get some traction. Learning as I go along but stole the other half's X5 for the day!
Honestly, anything with summer tires is going to be miserable in snow. They become so hard that they might as well be plastic wheels on a toy car. Even on bare pavement, you're likely still taking a good deal of risk if the temp is below freezing..

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
The EVSE may not be offering up the higher throughout even though it may be rated up to 350kW - one of the many variables we can't control.
Yes sure, I did not make it explicit, but I felt from his message he had never experienced faster charging. So I thought something was off...

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
how is that you cannot get 230-250 peak (not average)? I had 200-205 (peak) at one Ionity, end of Dec, -8 celsius (that is 17 F), initial SOC 11% and 28 celsius initial battery temp. And with the PCM battery protection on...
I think I could get more if I unticked the PCM option.
Presumably because your battery was already at optimal temp and the SOC only 11%. So you get the best of both worlds.

aoua

First Name
Aoua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross Turismo
Country flag
Based in Montreal where excessive and unnecessary cold is the norm in the winter.
i went from a 2022 etron RS GT that I wasn’t happy with to a 2022 CT.

1- battery more stable, the etron would fluctuate wildly in kms left when the temp would drop. Almost 1/3 of the range would disappear in 10 minutes of driving at -20 Celsius.
this has not been the case with CT

2-slip and slide with RS GT. Latest Nokians on 20 winter rims. I couldn’t control the slide when I came across ice or an inch or two of snow. I’ve been navigating these winters for 25 years. My wife’s q5 was better than the RS. CT stops quicker and minimal slide on the exact same roads with similar conditions.
And I have 21s ( pirelli sottozeros )

3- etron rs seems to heat up quicker when left outside.
My observations…..

now if only I could figure out how to get the rear camera wash to work lol…

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Based in Montreal where excessive and unnecessary cold is the norm in the winter.
i went from a 2022 etron RS GT that I wasn’t happy with to a 2022 CT.

1- battery more stable, the etron would fluctuate wildly in kms left when the temp would drop. Almost 1/3 of the range would disappear in 10 minutes of driving at -20 Celsius.
this has not been the case with CT

2-slip and slide with RS GT. Latest Nokians on 20 winter rims. I couldn’t control the slide when I came across ice or an inch or two of snow. I’ve been navigating these winters for 25 years. My wife’s q5 was better than the RS. CT stops quicker and minimal slide on the exact same roads with similar conditions.
And I have 21s ( pirelli sottozeros )

3- etron rs seems to heat up quicker when left outside.
My observations…..

now if only I could figure out how to get the rear camera wash to work lol…
Rear washer - push the wiper stalk away from you to operate the wiper and washer for both window and camera - there is no button on the PCM Park Assist camera view as per sedan.

ElGordo

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Turismo (2)
Country flag
Does this help? Same process as changing the wiper blades, except leave the arms up and folded out while parked in the snow. From the Good To Know app:
Meant to say thank you earlier.
This worked like a charm!

Grateful for your response!

Jsherid!

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 CTS-V Wagon (M6), 928S4
Country flag
We don't get much in the way of snow here in Dallas but we do get an ice storm every two or three years (this year we've had two--luck us) and I had to drive my 4S on ice covered roads, it was amazingly sure footed. It helped that I drove at responsible speeds and grew up driving in snow. My only complaints were that the windshield wipers gathered ice that never melted even with the defroster going full blast and that running the defroster uses a stunning amount of electricity!

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Rides well in the snow with all seasons. Heats up quickly as well. Range is abysmal in the winter,
Sponsored