Dufferman12

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2018 9114S Targa, 1911 Model T Torpedo
Country flag
I have been having problems over and over with my car locking the doors when I lift the door handle and have the key in my pocket. When this happens the key flashes and I can unlock the door with the button on the key. Seems like something is wrong here. It is a 2022 4S
Sponsored

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Does this happen with all of your doors? Or just one? If it's just one door, it could be a small short in the door handle sensor. The little rectangle in the handle should be the only spot on the handle that should close the sensor circuit to trigger locking on contact, but I can imagine some scenarios where that becomes shorted so that contact with other parts of the handle could trigger the lock.

If it's what I am suspecting, then this problem should really only be happening with one of the doors, unless you were unfortunate enough to have the same anomaly happen to multiple doors.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
I have been having problems over and over with my car locking the doors when I lift the door handle and have the key in my pocket. When this happens the key flashes and I can unlock the door with the button on the key. Seems like something is wrong here. It is a 2022 4S
If you have comfort access what you are describing might be normal. Per the owner's manual:

"If the vehicle is unlocked and if a door, the hood, or trunk lid is not opened within 45 seconds, the vehicle is locked again automatically."

Assuming your car was locked to begin with if it unlocks when it senses the fob and you don't open in 45 seconds it re-locks itself and the handles retract. Grab a handle and it's locked again. I walk out to the garage, the car reacts to the key in my pocket and unlocks (presents the handles). I get distracted for half a minute, grab the handle and the car is locked again. Then I have to press the unlock on the fob. And my fob is flashing red. If you don't have comfort access then this has nothing to do with your problem and you should ignore me.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
If you have comfort access what you are describing might be normal. Per the owner's manual:

"If the vehicle is unlocked and if a door, the hood, or trunk lid is not opened within 45 seconds, the vehicle is locked again automatically."

Assuming your car was locked to begin with if it unlocks when it senses the fob and you don't open in 45 seconds it re-locks itself and the handles retract. Grab a handle and it's locked again. I walk out to the garage, the car reacts to the key in my pocket and unlocks (presents the handles). I get distracted for half a minute, grab the handle and the car is locked again. Then I have to press the unlock on the fob. And my fob is flashing red. If you don't have comfort access then this has nothing to do with your problem and you should ignore me.
The 45 sec rule applies with or without comfort opening option and is unrelated

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have this occasionally. After opening on approach it gives a beep and locks again. More often I have a problem with comfort closing. It reopens directly and takes 2-3 trials to lock or use the key. It is going in for this problem next week. Had this problem since delivery but they had some heaters to replace first.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Not sure if I get the nuance, but for me: i approach the car <2m car unlocks. Handles pop out. More than 45sec AND >2m away car locks itself again. Fob in my pocket not being touched.

OP
OP

Dufferman12

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2018 9114S Targa, 1911 Model T Torpedo
Country flag
Thanks but my car is not sensing my key fob at all. The handles do not pop out as I get closer. Hmmm

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have run into the case of trying to open the car and it's locking itself. Can't remember the exact circumstances, or how I eventually got into the car. Think I just continued to raise the drivers door handle until it opened.

Sometimes the car does not sense the key fob and does not present the door handles, however.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Not sure if I get the nuance, but for me: i approach the car <2m car unlocks. Handles pop out. More than 45sec AND >2m away car locks itself again. Fob in my pocket not being touched.
The door is relocking when the door is still being opened by the owner as the door sensor under the handle recess is detecting a touch to lock. Nothing to do with approaching, walking away without opening a door, trunk or frunk.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
The door is relocking when the door is still being opened by the owner as the door sensor under the handle recess is detecting a touch to lock. Nothing to do with approaching, walking away without opening a door, trunk or frunk.
Possibly, In my case it works like described above: fob in reach handles pop open, fob long enough out of range, handles retract. I was getting annoyed detailing my car, had to put the keys 3m away to make it stop.

shelt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S; '18 Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I have the same issue regularly ('22 4S - comfort access on). I step up to open the unlocked door and it locks the handles. It's not a 45sec issue either because I keep my key in a Faraday box and walk straight to the car when I take the keys out.

It seems random and I can't figure out why it happens. I've wondered about the sensor on the door handle causing it because it is touching the handle that seems to trigger the re-locking.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Possibly, In my case it works like described above: fob in reach handles pop open, fob long enough out of range, handles retract. I was getting annoyed detailing my car, had to put the keys 3m away to make it stop.
You could simply use the double tap to disable comfort opening to prevent this (check the manual).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I have this occasionally. After opening on approach it gives a beep and locks again. More often I have a problem with comfort closing. It reopens directly and takes 2-3 trials to lock or use the key. It is going in for this problem next week. Had this problem since delivery but they had some heaters to replace first.
I had the same closing problem, though even with the keyfob lock it would sometimes reopen. Problem went away as weather warmed up and it also didn’t seem to occur in a warm climate where I picked it up. Maybe I got the warm climate version of the Taycan - I know for sure I got the warm climate windshield washer fluid at PDI as it froze on me when I drove it into winter weather. It was also when the first self-unlock problem was (took me many tries to lock the car in the middle of a snowstorm).

Sandash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
So the car unlocks and door handles present themselves when you approach the car, but the car locks again when you pull on the handle?

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sounds like you have this issue. Needs a dealer visit to replace the door handle.

I had 2 of mine replaced but now the drive door handle is doing the same again so I'm sure there is more going on that just faulty circuit boards.

Edit: For me it was door locking immediately after unlocking... sometime with my hand still in the door handle lol
Sponsored

Attachments