f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I think you meant "was" not available (when you ordered)? Because a GTS Sport Turismo is currently available.

This thread de-railed pretty quickly. lol.

Back to the topic, sorta - go with the GTS. It comes with a lot of the options you'd pay a lot more for in the 4s.
No.

The GTS never has been available with a Cross Turismo version and still isn't. It was the first to be offered in Sport Turismo spec though, which later became available for all models.

As with any options whether the extras included in the price of a GTS are worthwhile to any individual depends on whether they want them or not.
In my case almost all the extras included were either items I did not want or were not compatible with options I did want so a GTS wasn't worth it for me even though at the time I looked the wait was shorter than a CT 4S.
Sponsored

LXSC

First Name
GTS Tycoon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S - BMW I8, Soon Cherry Tycan GTS
Country flag
Extended leather
Pano roof
Rear Axle Steer
360 panoramic cameras
Bose
Sports Chrono
Matrix lights
Air suspension (std probably)
Performance Battery plus (std probably)
PTV+

Much of the above comes in various packs for the US market.
How about -NIght Vision and OHD

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
How about -NIght Vision and OHD
Night Vision is really cool and helpful if you drive in areas with animals or pedestrians with unexpected behavior BUT it would be one of the first options to forego if you were watching budget.

I don’t know what OHD is

Last edited:

LXSC

First Name
GTS Tycoon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S - BMW I8, Soon Cherry Tycan GTS
Country flag
Night Vision is really cool and helpful if you drive in areas with animals or pedestrians with unexpected behavior BUT it would be one of the first options to go if you were watching budget.

I don’t know what OHD is

OHD - I'm sorry I should've clarified.

this is referred to head up display by Porsche.

Some other companies call on-screen head up display.

I tried to configure a new Porsche GTS with appropriate options. I could not get it.
However the configuration I made along with the Monterey Porsche advisor we managed to get it in.

It may be hidden with one of the packages.

This may be more important than "NIGHT Vision"

Focusing back and forth between the usual display and the frontal view does take time.
You may want to test drive this on a BMW. And I feel this is a very important feature.

Good luck,

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OHD - I'm sorry I should've clarified.

this is referred to head up display by Porsche.

Some other companies call on-screen head up display.

I tried to configure a new Porsche GTS with appropriate options. I could not get it.
However the configuration I made along with the Monterey Porsche advisor we managed to get it in.

It may be hidden with one of the packages.

This may be more important than "NIGHT Vision"

Focusing back and forth between the usual display and the frontal view does take time.
You may want to test drive this on a BMW. And I feel this is a very important feature.

Good luck,
Got it. I really like OHD a lot, and it is more useful than night vision, but I do think it would be one of the first options to drop if watching budget.

OTPSkipper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune Blue Taycan
Country flag
@TDinDC,

A mile back in the thread, you said the Taycan battery ev technology and the iPhone had similar depreciation trends. Th is is just not true. iPhone is based on cmos silicon technology. This is a technology that has doubled its capability for the same cost every 4 to 5 years for 6 decades. Yes double. 100% improvement in what you can do on a cmos die every 5 years. It’s been happening for so long there is a huge infrastructure and investment capital available to come up with new things to do with all that silicon space. We are talking high volume production improvement too. These new generations are developed to go into immeadiate high volume production.

This is not true with EVs. Battery tech dosnt have that kind of growth. It’s got lots of people working on it, but silt is a small fraction compared to cmos development workforce. You were hoping for 5%. I think that is optimistic at volume production. But even that is nothing compare to the 100% improvement that cmos silicon will make in the same amount of time.

EVs are a different beast.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@TDinDC,

A mile back in the thread, you said the Taycan battery ev technology and the iPhone had similar depreciation trends. Th is is just not true. iPhone is based on cmos silicon technology. This is a technology that has doubled its capability for the same cost every 4 to 5 years for 6 decades. Yes double. 100% improvement in what you can do on a cmos die every 5 years. It’s been happening for so long there is a huge infrastructure and investment capital available to come up with new things to do with all that silicon space. We are talking high volume production improvement too. These new generations are developed to go into immeadiate high volume production.

This is not true with EVs. Battery tech dosnt have that kind of growth. It’s got lots of people working on it, but silt is a small fraction compared to cmos development workforce. You were hoping for 5%. I think that is optimistic at volume production. But even that is nothing compare to the 100% improvement that cmos silicon will make in the same amount of time.

EVs are a different beast.
The development of EVs and the EV market has changed dramatically over the past 8 years so much so that my desire to keep the first EV I bought back then (and it’s value on the resale market) has declined so precipitously that I personally would not want to own it (which is the context in which I mentioned the iPhone because I similarly don’t want my 8 year old iPhone, not because I was comparing the technologies) , which is in stark contrast to my 911 from 16 years ago. The differences are striking. But this isn’t a debate with a right or wrong answer, so lease or buy, who cares? In either event, the approach to options is the same.

Last edited:

OTPSkipper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune Blue Taycan
Country flag
The development of EVs and the EV market has changed dramatically over the past 8 years so much so that my desire to keep the first EV I bought back then (and it’s value on the resale market) has declined so precipitously that I personally would not want to own it (which is the context in which I mentioned the iPhone because I similarly don’t want my 8 year old iPhone, not because I was comparing the technologies) , which is in stark contrast to my 911 from 16 years ago. The differences are striking. But this isn’t a debate with a right or wrong answer, so lease or buy, who cares? In either event, the approach to options is the same.
Ok. I get it. To some extent, I am trying to justify my buy decision. But what has really happened in the last 8 years is more car vendors have entered the fray. The technology hasn’t really changed much for EVs. We just added more vendors that engineered the technology differently. That’s why I bought a Taycan. I wanted an ev but I couldn’t stomach a Tesla. But that trend will slow down a lot over the next 5 years. There are only so many car companies. I don’t think the startups are long for this world. Tesla did it. But it is going to be very hard for any others. This is because the technology really isn’t changing that fast to allow startups to step out.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok. I get it. To some extent, I am trying to justify my buy decision. But what has really happened in the last 8 years is more car vendors have entered the fray. The technology hasn’t really changed much for EVs. We just added more vendors that engineered the technology differently. That’s why I bought a Taycan. I wanted an ev but I couldn’t stomach a Tesla. But that trend will slow down a lot over the next 5 years. There are only so many car companies. I don’t think the startups are long for this world. Tesla did it. But it is going to be very hard for any others. This is because the technology really isn’t changing that fast to allow startups to step out.
Not that my opinion matters, but I really do think this is not a win/lose decision. It’s a matter of small percentages. Time may very well prove that the purchase decision was wise, and you may be able to recapture 5-10% more value than I will be able to do so, but we both drive fantastic cars and this is just a fun little bet to try to maximize value.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Nope. Unless you have issues with wild animals don't bother with NV. OHD - waste of money given the superb digital cockpit already in front of you, why duplicate!?
Personal choice, but I love the heads up display. So much so it really irritates me when I drive my wife's SUV or my small truck that don't have that capability. I'd recommend anyone considering it to drive a car with it and see what they think.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Personal choice, but I love the heads up display. So much so it really irritates me when I drive my wife's SUV or my small truck that don't have that capability. I'd recommend anyone considering it to drive a car with it and see what they think.
It is a personal choice and have driven both a CT and RWD for a day with HUD.

Best to compare like for like vehicles and in the case of the Taycan the inclusion of the HUD felt superfluous to me due to the digital cockpit arrangement.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was just out driving and realized that I personally really like the HUD. I like it because, once you get it properly configured, it provides very useful information into exactly the right position so that you do not need to look at your dash at all.

One feature that I appreciate the most is the inclusion of symbols for the drivers assistance technologies. On the dash, it is small and at the bottom of the screen. You really can't easily see it. And it is important to see because I really do not like how the Porsche system shuts off without any audible or tactile warning: the only way to know that the car is not steering is that the symbols go from green to grey. I think it is a huge flaw because you might think the car is steering when it really is not (of course I have my hands on the wheel and would not wreck -- so the impact isn't that you wreck the car but that you never really rely on the assistance technology, so what's the point). In any event, the symbols are right there on HUD and you can easily see when steering is on and off without looking for it. You can see them in the picture below on the left bottom. They are grey because I do not have any of the assistance systems turned on for driving in town (I only use it on long highway trips or in stop and go traffic).
Porsche Taycan Taycan Options Advice tempImageDmw6qo

Porsche Taycan Taycan Options Advice D242BB05-2AB7-47EB-A70A-33BBC1893119

OP
OP

Square[]

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
If you ask like this, I gotta ask:

1. Is money any issue?
2. Why do you buy a Taycan?
Mainly for pleasure/entertainment, as I don't truly need a car (it is much cheaper to rent a car when necessary and uber to work). However, once I get one, I will use it as a daily driver. Money is not an issue, but I don't want to spend money on things that I am not going to appreciate (i.e., I can't tell the difference between a 150$ wine and a 500$ wine; so I don't see a reason to buy the one for 500$).
Sponsored