Taycan Options Advice

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Mainly for pleasure/entertainment, as I don't truly need a car (it is much cheaper to rent a car when necessary and uber to work). However, once I get one, I will use it as a daily driver. Money is not an issue, but I don't want to spend money on things that I am not going to appreciate (i.e., I can't tell the difference between a 150$ wine and a 500$ wine; so I don't see a reason to buy the one for 500$).
D@&n. That response is the equivalent of telling a waiter “surprise me”! I don’t even know how to help you with constructive advice even though I want to!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Square[]

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
D@&n. That response is the equivalent of telling a waiter “surprise me”! I don’t even know how to help you with constructive advice even though I want to!
Haha. Well, that's the honest answer. I got great advice on this forum and have a decent idea of the options I should get. Planning to visit a few dealerships next weekend to explore the specifics.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Mainly for pleasure/entertainment, as I don't truly need a car (it is much cheaper to rent a car when necessary and uber to work). However, once I get one, I will use it as a daily driver. Money is not an issue, but I don't want to spend money on things that I am not going to appreciate (i.e., I can't tell the difference between a 150$ wine and a 500$ wine; so I don't see a reason to buy the one for 500$).
Checking out the cars/options at a dealer if they have appropriate vehicles available is a great way to make a decision.

However, if money isn't an issue I'd err toward getting options I "might" appreciate rather than regretting not getting an option later on. My 4S ended up being priced, with options, well above the starting price for a Turbo. I followed the "no regrets" optioning method and so far, only 1000 miles in, no regrets :)

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Checking out the cars/options at a dealer if they have appropriate vehicles available is a great way to make a decision.

However, if money isn't an issue I'd err toward getting options I "might" appreciate rather than regretting not getting an option later on. My 4S ended up being priced, with options, well above the starting price for a Turbo. I followed the "no regrets" optioning method and so far, only 1000 miles in, no regrets :)
Haha. Sounds familiar

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I thought the same. :)

Taking the cue from the wine, I would spec:
  • 4S
  • light to medium color, so that the black accents pop
  • 20 inch wheels and up
  • Bose
  • rear axle steering
  • black door sills
  • black window frames
You then you might think about:
  • perhaps some extra leather for luxury feel
  • perhaps large battery for range if you need it
  • perhaps InnoDrive, if you like tech helping you with long distance driving.
I have that, minus InnoDrive plus:
  • PTV - goes around corners like crazy
  • sound and heat insulation glass - like it quiet.
Everything else in the car, which is not standard anyway, I find to be a gimmick, which fades away after time anyway...

Davy021

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Must Have: Sports Sound! Some will say no but that's the biggest difference to me. We also have a new Tesla and the sound gives it more soul.

Performance Plus battery I honestly can't tell bc I charge at home every day.

Mission E wheels is what makes the car so beautiful. I LOVE it. w/the required brakes I get zero brake dust.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Must Have: Sports Sound! Some will say no but that's the biggest difference to me. We also have a new Tesla and the sound gives it more soul.

Performance Plus battery I honestly can't tell bc I charge at home every day.

Mission E wheels is what makes the car so beautiful. I LOVE it. w/the required brakes I get zero brake dust.
Sport sound is safety issue in Urban areas. I can’t tell you how many times people would just jump out in front of me when driving the silent Tesla.

I really like the carbon fiber blade wheels. Slightly annoyed because Porsche marketing suggested that the wheels were lighter, but I came to learn later that it is merely a form of the other Taycan wheels with the aesthetic upgrade of Carbon. I was willing to pay for weight savings, but likely would not have just for aesthetics. That said, they are really beautiful and fit the appearance of the car very well.

Franky

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (since 08/2021)
Country flag
A very personal view from a german:
Definitely important:
PDCC & Rear Axle stearing (--> huge improvement in handling)
21 inches: The car feels much more 'planted'. Moreover, 20-inches-tyres are designed for economy, therefore breaking distance is considerably longer (I have bought mine w/ 20 inches, but have switched to 21 - and I'm not a freak who considers each turn as a race track...). The 21-Pirellis don't affect range that much.
Head-up display (--> your eyes will stay where they belong to while driving :)...)
If leather seats: seat heating & ventilation (today we'll have > 40°C here in Germany...)
Sport Chrono (if you want to set up individual settings for engines and suspension)
if possible: all the assistants
Good to have:
matrix lights
18-way seats
pano roof
(you'll need it for roof box)
surround view (cheaper at the end of the day :)...)
Avoid:
Any brakes upgrade: unless you enjoy a driving style that is not really appropriate for a reputable car driven by a responsible person, you will mostly use regen braking. And if you just get the urge to have a thrilling ride every now-and-then: standard brakes are still Porsche brakes! :)... And there are downsides w/ both optional brakes: replacement (if needed) is far more expensive, they are heavier or at least not much lighter (because much bigger calipers), which means that the advantage claimed the most (--> less unsprung weight) is modest at best.
Everything else is just a matter of taste.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Avoid:
Any brakes upgrade: unless you enjoy a driving style that is not really appropriate for a reputable car driven by a responsible person, you will mostly use regen braking. And if you just get the urge to have a thrilling ride every now-and-then: standard brakes are still Porsche brakes! :)... And there are downsides w/ both optional brakes: replacement (if needed) is far more expensive, they are heavier or at least not much lighter (because much bigger calipers), which means that the advantage claimed the most (--> less unsprung weight) is modest at best.
Everything else is just a matter of taste.
agreed with everything except this. The coated brakes are heavier than the standard brakes, but Porsche has said that the PCCBs are almost half of the weight of the normal brakes. Saving that much unsprung weight helps ride quality. I’ve seen a number that each 1 lb of unsprung weight savings equates in terms of performance to 5-7 lbs of total weight loss for the car. Now, you could point out, correctly, that I’m a hypocrite because I picked 21” rims, which are heavier than the smaller rims, but I prefer to think of PCCBs as offsetting a bit of the weight. Is it night and day? Probably not. Does it help? Probably so. Is it worth the cost? Well, that depends. I do like no brake dust because my cars otherwise don’t tend to get too dirty and I only wash them 4-6 times per year or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Square[]

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I called a bunch of dealerships in the Bay Area regarding 4S/GTS:
- 12-24 months wait at MSRP at most places
- 6 months wait with 10% markup for 4S/GTS at two places

The best offer I received is a 6-8 months wait for a 4S at MSRP from a large dealership that is 1 hr away.
The earliest I can get a GTS at MSRP is 13 months:(

Last edited:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Picture didn’t capture HUD this time, but the busy display shows why I tend to focus on HUD. You can also see how driver assist symbols in green can easily get lost in all of the baubles. I also don't understand why they did not integrate all of the information into the driver's assistance display shown in the left circle. I wish Porsche has a software update suggestion forum that they actually monitored and acted upon.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Options Advice DF0E2696-4CAD-4EFF-A92F-29053EF7FADC

Last edited:

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Are you building the car for you and intend to keep it? Or think you’ll swap it out in a couple years? I buy my cars for me and so get the options and spec I want and not what I think will hold value best.

Generally, a lower level car with high options will lose more than a higher level car with less options. But, I feel a lower car with the options you really want will bring the most pleasure :)

OP
OP

Square[]

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I just went over the GTS options with the dealer.

Unsure about these three options:
1) rear 2+1 - I don't need it, but having a 5th seat may make it easier to sell the car in the future. My skis are the only thing that is likely to be in the back.
2) tech package. The dealer says that it is highly desirable for a GTS, and most buyers elect to choose it. On the other hand, I hear that the passenger display is entirely useless. I am leaning towards keeping this one.
3) PDCC. Conflicting opinions about this option for non-track use.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I just went over the GTS options with the dealer.

Unsure about these three options:
1) rear 2+1 - I don't need it, but having a 5th seat may make it easier to sell the car in the future. My skis are the only thing that is likely to be in the back.
2) tech package. The dealer says that it is highly desirable for a GTS, and most buyers elect to choose it. On the other hand, I hear that the passenger display is entirely useless. I am leaning towards keeping this one.
3) PDCC. Conflicting opinions about this option for non-track use.
From what I've read having the 2+1 may help with storing your ski's/golf clubs, etc. since the center seat can be folded down to permit a pass through from the trunk?

The tech package offers a number of things that I personally like, including the passenger display and heads-up display. My wife loves the passenger display. The only time I'd call the passenger display useless is if you never have a passenger.

I have the PDCC but haven't driven a Taycan without it. Unless you are trying to trim some $$ my methodology was to get any option that I thought I might regret not getting later on, and yes, I ended up with a lot of options ;)

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The only time I'd call the passenger display useless is if you never have a passenger.
I think it was @daveo4EV (sorry if I’m wrong) that once pointed out the screen takes the place of some gloss black trim and how people spend as much or more on higher grade interior trim options (or something to that effect). Regardless of my feeling on the usefulness of the screen, I have a hard time arguing with that one point.
Sponsored