Deleted member 6348

For Americans who don’t understand the role of places like Ukraine and the Czech Republic in the automotive supply chain, think of those places as Germany’s “Mexico” when it comes to manufacturing. They’re places with significantly cheaper labor.
Sponsored

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
As an ignorant American, why can't Porsche et al just get that labor elsewhere? Is there something unique about the availability of these parts in Ukraine? I imagine something like a "wire harness" doesn't require rare materials only found in this specific country. But again, ignorant American here.

It just seems bizarre to me that these giant companies have no other sources from which to supply their multi-billion dollar businesses.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
As an ignorant American, why can't Porsche et al just get that labor elsewhere? Is there something unique about the availability of these parts in Ukraine? I imagine something like a "wire harness" doesn't require rare materials only found in this specific country. But again, ignorant American here.

It just seems bizarre to me that these giant companies have no other sources from which to supply their multi-billion dollar businesses.
I think you are significantly underestimating the investment in infrastructure and training, as well as scale of production that the Ukraine facilities present. Ukraine was a peaceful and developing country and whilst I'm sure these companies had in place DR/BC plans to deal with the situation, they might not have been considered a risk worth investing the huge amount of money in to mitigate/avoid. Hindsight is, of course, a wonderful thing

ananas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Interesting. I placed my deposit a couple of weeks ago and was told a September delivery is a realistic expectation for a Sport Turismo RWD. I’d imagine my dealership would have told me if that was the case here as September is too optimistic with 3 months of production stop. I am based in UK.

AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S, 2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
My sales advisor was at a Porsche training workshop a couple months ago. He said he was told that Ukraine workers would work to produce items at night (people still need money to buy food and live), and defend their country during the day. Amazing. If I have to wait few months because they're a bit busy, I'm okay with that. Transfering production elsewhere takes time - and a learning curve.

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
I think you are significantly underestimating the investment in infrastructure and training, as well as scale of production that the Ukraine facilities present. Ukraine was a peaceful and developing country and whilst I'm sure these companies had in place DR/BC plans to deal with the situation, they might not have been considered a risk worth investing the huge amount of money in to mitigate/avoid. Hindsight is, of course, a wonderful thing
Thank you for the response!

backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
For Americans who don’t understand the role of places like Ukraine and the Czech Republic in the automotive supply chain, think of those places as Germany’s “Mexico” when it comes to manufacturing. They’re places with significantly cheaper labor.
As a European I find that really uneducated, demeaning and ignorant to say. Both with regards to Mexico and to Europe. Mexico, Czech Republic and Ukraine are radically worlds apart.

JamesP

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
Interesting. I placed my deposit a couple of weeks ago and was told a September delivery is a realistic expectation for a Sport Turismo RWD. I’d imagine my dealership would have told me if that was the case here as September is too optimistic with 3 months of production stop. I am based in UK.
Yes - I got told similar for a RWD ST for a deposit I put down in late Feb. Suspect the various options will hold it up.

frietzak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
My sales advisor was at a Porsche training workshop a couple months ago. He said he was told that Ukraine workers would work to produce items at night (people still need money to buy food and live), and defend their country during the day. Amazing. If I have to wait few months because they're a bit busy, I'm okay with that. Transfering production elsewhere takes time - and a learning curve.
Don't think this story is true because the factory is close to the border with other euopean countries. I don't see them working at night and defending the country at the other side? But alot of people left the country, joined the army etc so ofcourse there is less capacity. Leoni also have alot of other factories across Europe and even the world so i guess there are possibilties for production there but it will take some time.

Y1BDB1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, CT4S
Country flag
As a European I find that really uneducated, demeaning and ignorant to say. Both with regards to Mexico and to Europe. Mexico, Czech Republic and Ukraine are radically worlds apart.
I’m curious what you find ignorant and offensive about that comment. A quick internet search shows the annual income in Germany is 47000 and Czech is 22000. The Ukraine is 3600. Is a country having lower cost of labor demeaning? Or is stating that fact demeaning? Mexico and the Ukraine are thousands of km apart.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
I have a feeling that in the near future, parts availability might not be as big an issue for German manufacturers as energy availability.

If Russia decides to shut the taps on the gas pipeline (as I believe they have to Poland and Bulgaria), Germany will be in trouble.

I wonder if they might be preparing to build up gas/oil stocks? Or ramping up preparations? Get their big industry to halt/massively scale back activity, get stocks right up, restart industry whilst seeking alternate supply and if Russia play silly buggers, close industry down again until the alternates are in place.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I’m curious what you find ignorant and offensive about that comment. A quick internet search shows the annual income in Germany is 47000 and Czech is 22000. The Ukraine is 3600. Is a country having lower cost of labor demeaning? Or is stating that fact demeaning? Mexico and the Ukraine are thousands of km apart.
It's Ukraine not "the Ukraine" so perhaps you could start there?

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It's Ukraine not "the Ukraine" so perhaps you could start there?
background for the benefit of all

During most of the 20th century, Ukraine (whether independent or not) was referred to in the English-speaking world prefaced with the definite article, i.e., "the Ukraine". This is because the word ukraina means "borderland" and so an article would be natural in the English language; this is similar to "Nederlanden", which means "low lands" and is rendered in English as "the Netherlands". However, since Ukraine's declaration of independence in 1991, the use of the definite article in the name has become politicized and is now rarer, and style guides advise against its use. According to US ambassador William Taylor, as of the 2010s using "the Ukraine" implies disregard for Ukrainian sovereignty. The official Ukrainian position is that "the Ukraine" is incorrect, both grammatically and politically.​

Y1BDB1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, CT4S
Country flag
background for the benefit of all

During most of the 20th century, Ukraine (whether independent or not) was referred to in the English-speaking world prefaced with the definite article, i.e., "the Ukraine". This is because the word ukraina means "borderland" and so an article would be natural in the English language; this is similar to "Nederlanden", which means "low lands" and is rendered in English as "the Netherlands". However, since Ukraine's declaration of independence in 1991, the use of the definite article in the name has become politicized and is now rarer, and style guides advise against its use. According to US ambassador William Taylor, as of the 2010s using "the Ukraine" implies disregard for Ukrainian sovereignty. The official Ukrainian position is that "the Ukraine" is incorrect, both grammatically and politically.​
So is it the Federal Republic of Germany or is the ‘the’ insulting? I didn’t capitalize the word The as part of its name I used it as an article. I’m from The Canada so what do I know about knowing stuff.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So is it the Federal Republic of Germany or is the ‘the’ insulting? I didn’t capitalize the word The as part of its name I used it as an article. I’m from The Canada so what do I know about knowing stuff.
oh I don't give a fuck dude, I'm not passing judgment for someone saying Ukraine or The Ukraine. I've heard it both ways from Ukrainians

if a Ukranian wants to correct me I will of course listen to them.
Sponsored

Last edited: