First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Charging right now.... app says: 60% /220 km (so estimated 366km @ 100% SoC) :(

Edit: I was charging from 45-92%, estimated range.: 361 km. (that means 392 km, so looks that I'm getting closer to 400km).

Btw: 43kwh were added... but 47% of the battery is 39kwh, so about 10% has been lost during chargin...

Edit #2: i looked on app, and now it says 343km only... so much about data/math consistency :facepalm:
Sponsored

Last edited:

clivep

First Name
Clive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2021
Country flag
I have a 2020 (MY2021) Taycan 4S + which has almost reached 20000 miles and recently had the 20000 mile service.

I had the software update in early August, since when on long journeys (anecdotally) I have not achieved the range that I have achieved previously and I have seen no signs of this improving. I did not report this to Edinburgh Porsche at my recent service which may be a mistake as the range problem has persisted in journeys since.

I would caution anyone about assessing their range performance with the charging data on the central display; the algorithm may not be based on the car’s actual performance. If you charge en route and are using the charging planner, as soon as you get back on the road, the range will often reduce from the charging prediction by up to 10% - even when your settings are at most economical (ie Range Mode, A/C Ecoplus). This has been a long term issue for me and trip data confirms it.

If you want to measure long term range performance, you have to use the trip data. However I also have some doubts over this! My "Total Trip Data" showed 33.6kwh/100mile consumption in March 22 (for some reason the bar graph shows the total to date up to 2nd March and then again to 10th March as well as to Oct22 - because I travelled into Europe 2nd March and back on the 10th!). Since then consumption has mysteriously improved for the 20000 miles to date, increasing to 30.7kwh/100 miles – almost 10%.

A scan of the trip data suggests that this is no longer being calculated correctly – at least for me. My guess is that the 33.6kWh/100mi figure was pretty accurate based on my experience up to March 22. I therefore decided to abstract the recent data to a spreadsheet using the “since charging” data figures.

From March 22 to the software update I did 4948 miles at an average of 33.99kWh/100Mi equivalent to an average range of 246 miles with the 84kWh available to the performance battery plus. I am quite happy with this performance because, living on the Pennines, there are a lot of short, very hilly trips with a cold battery.

From 3rd August to date, following the software update, I have completed 2298 miles @ 35.52kWh/100Mi equivalent to 236 miles range. This driving should have been no less efficient than the pre-update driving although I did use 19 inch aero wheels with winter tyres until late April and 20 inch wheels for the summer when I suspect average ambient temperatures have been better. The trips have been of similar nature although there were some longer, more efficient trips pre-update. I am not planning to increase the granularity of the analysis at this stage however!

The performance drop-off is 4% which seems to be significant. I have not noticed a reduction in recuperation on braking since the update although I have in recent months left the recuperation on permanently rather than coasting (largely out of habit because our Audi Q4 Etron Sportback has an automatic recuperation set on permanently) which is likely to reduce efficiency (see “driving in coasting mode” in manual) so this might explain the difference?

I will monitor a little longer before querying this with Porsche but I think they need my feedback on the total trip data!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
@clivep

To date, albeit with no where near the mileage you are logging, I am actually seeing a drop in range post-uPdate that I cannot (I don't think) attribute to the slight drop in temps here (we are still at 90F in PM but cooler overnight in 60s) vs Aug-Sep.

Have had a few funky charge sessions (impromptu bad planning!) so my trip data not terribly consistent right now but just using the max. 'predicted' ranges for Range and Normal mode as I have done over the last year also shows the drop in efficiency/predicted ranges - seems slow to recover just to where it was never mind any indication of an actual increase in range.

All that said, my expectations were low in regards the latter as being an Oct '21 build of a 2022 model car I did not expect any significant range changes TBH.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Range Test With New Software Update Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 9.08.13 AM

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
I think I must have seen the most loss in range since the big update.

I have a '22 4S with 21" wheels and was driving it mostly in Sport mode before the update and in Normal mode post update.

Prior to the update my range had been increasing to 260 miles @ 100%.

Post update, 2k miles later driving it the same way, my range is now 212 miles @ 100%.

WTF.
Have you looked at you center display to see if the new strategy has been invoked properly. Mine shows four wheel when I first start up in the morning for a couple miles. After that it shows rear wheel drive when cruising (especially with cruise control) even up slight upgrades. Rear wheel also continues when on highway at 70 (haven't tried higher yet). Four wheel recon when off accelerator.

I normally drive in Range mode and I have 20" wheels. My recent "since charging" data shows 3.5 miles/kwh. That's up from an average bar reading of about 3.2. My total of 12,000 miles shows 3.8 which consists of about 3,000 miles of highway at 75. I live in a rural area so a lot of my driving is 55-60 with average trips of 10 miles. Bar in May is before uPdate, bar for October has about 1,000 miles after uPdate.

Chuck J

Porsche Taycan Taycan Range Test With New Software Update Screenshot_2022-10-11-My Porsche

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Have you looked at you center display to see if the new strategy has been invoked properly. Mine shows four wheel when I first start up in the morning for a couple miles. After that it shows rear wheel drive when cruising (especially with cruise control) even up slight upgrades. Rear wheel also continues when on highway at 70 (haven't tried higher yet). Four wheel recon when off accelerator.

Chuck J
Indeed - the front motor is rarely used in normal conditions for drive - the complete opposite prior to uPdate (and with Range drive mode).

Reactions: B61

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Not the most scientific testing.

Prior to the uPdate I've gotten around 2.7-2.9kwH/100mi and post update 2.9-3.1kwH/100mi. I haven't confirmed further, but it feels like normal mode range has improved significantly, while range mode is give or take the same given other factors. Seems to make sense since range mode already decouples the front motor as needed already and the update would change normal drive to do similar as possible.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Not the most scientific testing.

Prior to the uPdate I've gotten around 2.7-2.9kwH/100mi and post update 2.9-3.1kwH/100mi. I haven't confirmed further, but it feels like normal mode range has improved significantly, while range mode is give or take the same given other factors. Seems to make sense since range mode already decouples the front motor as needed already and the update would change normal drive to do similar as possible.
Prior to uPdate Range Drive mode relied on the front motor (MY20, MY21+) almost exclusively. This has now been reversed with uPdate (assuming the Trip graphic is accurate).

My car is 2 years old now. I got 3.0 mile / kWh prior and now less - guessometer reports low 225 miles @ 100% SOC (PB+) whilst some folk in UK are seeing 280 - 300 miles (!!!).

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Prior to uPdate Range Drive mode relied on the front motor (MY20, MY21+) almost exclusively. This has now been reversed with uPdate (assuming the Trip graphic is accurate).
I was driving in Normal mode most of the time, since i don’t like speed limitation in Range mode.
(I know, it’s possible to “overrule” it, but still….)

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

My car is 2 years old now. I got 3.0 mile / kWh prior and now less - guessometer reports low 225 miles @ 100% SOC (PB+) whilst some folk in UK are seeing 280 - 300 miles (!!!).
That's weird. Before the uPdate I had watched the dash panel that shows torque distribution and range mode seemed Rear biased and then switching to front mostly when coasting. Guess-o-meter for total range between 230-240 miles or so, now it's closer to 250. Either way, that drop in range is not expected and should be looked into by Porsche.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
That's weird. Before the uPdate I had watched the dash panel that shows torque distribution and range mode seemed Rear biased and then switching to front mostly when coasting. Guess-o-meter for total range between 230-240 miles or so, now it's closer to 250. Either way, that drop in range is not expected and should be looked into by Porsche.
I have a MY21 car and if you have MY22 then this "enhancement" may already have been applied to your car. UPdate varied across MYs.

Flagged to Porsche already and car gets its 2 year service next week so we'll see what's what - it could be battery deterioration.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I have a MY21 car and if you have MY22 then this "enhancement" may already have been applied to your car. UPdate varied across MYs.

Flagged to Porsche already and car gets its 2 year service next week so we'll see what's what - it could be battery deterioration.
Here’s my theory: new version of software is cpable to recognize battery degradation…

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
Here’s my theory: new version of software is cpable to recognize battery degradation…
Wouldn't that be interesting that the software could open up a little more battery (for various reasons)

Chuck J

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Wouldn't that be interesting that the software could open up a little more battery (for various reasons)

Chuck J
There has always been 10% of the gross capacity reserved for management - perhaps this buffer is too high.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There has always been 10% of the gross capacity reserved for management - perhaps this buffer is too high.
That's true, but what I was thinking was that could save some pending battery warranty charges by just opening up a little buffer. :)

Chuck J

Last edited:

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's true, but what I was thinking was that could save some pending battery warranty charges by just opening up a little buffer. :)

Chuck J
That's probably true... I think the Taycan's battery has one of the larger buffers among EV? It would be nice to just have more of the range available on day 1.
Sponsored