G7SUM

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST 2023
Country flag
My latest 100% charge now reports 227 miles (13C ambient) so I still feel short changed but it has been creeping upwards.

This morning's 85% charge registered 189 miles (222 miles @ 100% equivalent).
Not quite what we were expecting to see...........
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Prior to uPdate Range Drive mode relied on the front motor (MY20, MY21+) almost exclusively. This has now been reversed with uPdate (assuming the Trip graphic is accurate).

My car is 2 years old now. I got 3.0 mile / kWh prior and now less - guessometer reports low 225 miles @ 100% SOC (PB+) whilst some folk in UK are seeing 280 - 300 miles (!!!).
I had not seen any lower or any higher range calculations after the uPdate. It gave a slightly better consumption on a long trip than before.
So today I was going yo do a range test. Weather is about 22 C so I charged the car to 100% and set out. The indicated range was 358 km ( 222 miles). Normal traffic situation and used the french motorways as well as local roads. Set out to try a long stint but an accident on the route cut the test short unfortunately. All adhering to speed limits.

Range at start indicated on GOM 358 km. (222 miles)
Driving distance. 145 km. (90 miles)
Average speed 66 km/h. (31 mph)
Average consumption 17.3 kWh/100km. (3.6 mi/kWh)
Remaining range on GOM. 261 km (160 miles) range at 71% SoC.

So overall quite a decent range and consumption. The weather was right, no cooling or heating required I think, no wind and no adverse traffic conditions.
My summary from that experiment is that the car performs better after the upgrade than before, but I do not have the exact same route documented.

Certainly not worse off in my case.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
I think I may have found why so many people are reporting different mileage results after the uPdate. This article shows a chart (hopefully from Porsche) showing what they expect for different variants and years.

Before the Update at highway speeds I got about 278 miles. I have not done a highway trip except back from the uPdate and I imagine that the battery management system was not properly calibrated- and may not be for a while. In addition, I was travelling 85MPH for a good portion of that trip. In a very unscientific look at M/KWH for each start before the uPdate and after I got an improvement of 1.0406 better M/KWH after the uPdate. The chart shows that I should have gotten 3.5% which is pretty close. If I apply that to the one highway trip before the update it would predict that I would get 289 miles.

WRT charging, I'm not as impressed. I traveled to the Electrify America charger this morning and set the charger as the destination. The charger was about 25 miles away (non-highway) and I monitored the battery temperature. It started at 75 degrees. Very soon after the start the temperature was 85 degrees. It continued to go up steadily as I got to the charger except that at the charger it was 110 degrees. It had always been 95 degrees +- before for my best charging speeds. The charge did not go as I had expected. Max was 166 KW and it was below 100KW by the time it had reached 65%. Total charge time was 19 minutes from about 25% to 65%. I did have the battery saving application on, but I actually thought that would make it peek at 200KW and hold it. I believe the battery was too hot for peek charging. I called Electrify America as it was charging to see if they could tell me whether the charger (350 unit) was the limiting factor or the car. She could not tell me.

Chuck J

Porsche Taycan Taycan Range Test With New Software Update Inside EVs article on uPdate mileage1

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I think I may have found why so many people are reporting different mileage results after the uPdate. This article shows a chart (hopefully from Porsche) showing what they expect for different variants and years.

Before the Update at highway speeds I got about 278 miles. I have not done a highway trip except back from the uPdate and I imagine that the battery management system was not properly calibrated- and may not be for a while. In addition, I was travelling 85MPH for a good portion of that trip. In a very unscientific look at M/KWH for each start before the uPdate and after I got an improvement of 1.0406 better M/KWH after the uPdate. The chart shows that I should have gotten 3.5% which is pretty close. If I apply that to the one highway trip before the update it would predict that I would get 289 miles.

WRT charging, I'm not as impressed. I traveled to the Electrify America charger this morning and set the charger as the destination. The charger was about 25 miles away (non-highway) and I monitored the battery temperature. It started at 75 degrees. Very soon after the start the temperature was 85 degrees. It continued to go up steadily as I got to the charger except that at the charger it was 110 degrees. It had always been 95 degrees +- before for my best charging speeds. The charge did not go as I had expected. Max was 166 KW and it was below 100KW by the time it had reached 65%. Total charge time was 19 minutes from about 25% to 65%. I did have the battery saving application on, but I actually thought that would make it peek at 200KW and hold it. I believe the battery was too hot for peek charging. I called Electrify America as it was charging to see if they could tell me whether the charger (350 unit) was the limiting factor or the car. She could not tell me.

Chuck J

Inside EVs article on uPdate mileage1.jpg
Yes we saw the chart and it is marred with anomalies plus it doesn't reflect real life. Most people see higher ranges than what's reported here.

Remember also that all cars are effectively MY23 now since uPdate. No known physical improvements have been made or introduced.

Reactions: B61

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
Yes we saw the chart and it is marred with anomalies plus it doesn't reflect real life. Most people see higher ranges than what's reported here.

Remember also that all cars are effectively MY23 now since uPdate. No known physical improvements have been made or introduced.
I was just addressing the percentage improvements, not the total.

Chuck J

Olicanian

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, SL.
Country flag
I’m taking the car in on Monday for three software update, plus fixing the jammed open charge port. There’s also a yellow and occasional red ‘electrical fault’ warning light on. And the SatNav is in German today.

Sounds as if it needs a reet good fettlin’ as they say in these parts.

Last edited:

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag

+1.
Compared with that chart for CT4, I had opposite numbers before uPdate: 400-420km (250-262miles)
Now, after uPdate: 365-375 km (228-234miles)….which is close to 235 miles in the chart for 2023.

I still think that might be just coincidence and worse range is simply based on battery degradation after one year of usage…

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Charged to 100% the other day on my '21 RWD PB+ (update done a few weeks ago) and range was 248. That was a pretty common number before the update, but I was only getting 230's at 100% right after the update. My driving has all been local and normal. At this point, I would not say any extra range with the update, but no loss either.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I just looked through a lot of data from two very similar drives. Same starting point and same destinations and using similar routes. This 6 to 8 days driving through Europe and back, from italian border up through France, up to Stockholm and back. The mixture of very fast driving on the German motorways and normal roads is similar. In both cases there was some city driving as well but only a limited portion. The average temperature was similar on the cars display, but I have no exact details of the average temperature. There were days with more than 35 degrees C and some with rain and 15 to 18 degrees. Alldata taken from the MyPorsche website for my car.

Some data prior to uPdate
May- June 2022
Distance driven : 6901 km (4294 miles)
Average speed: 73 km/h. ( 45 mph)
Average cons: 24.1 kWh/100 km (2.6 mi/kWh)

August- Sept 2022. Post uPdate
Distance drive:. 8507 km. (5286)
Average speed: 85 km/h. (52 mph). +16%
Average cons: 23.3 kWh/100 km. (2.7 mi/kWh) - 3%

So looking at this the average speed had increased by 16% with the average consumption decreasing 3%!! Since speed is one that has a huge influence on the consumption, I think it looks like the uPdate did improve my cars performance in this respect. I still have not achieved more than 380 km range on the GOM though.

But overall I am quite happy with the improvement in range and in particular the stability and functionality of the uPdate. Still some quirks with the navigation, but now know these and make my own plans for charging stops and etc.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mine is similar to yours and that I am getting about 4% better range after the update.

Chuck J

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had my first opportunity to DC charge my 4S after the uPdate and was pleasantly surprised. I plugged in at a battery temperature of 93 degrees and 35%. The charger ramped to 110KW and stayed there until over 85% I don't like to fast charge past 90%, but it was still charging at 95KW when I unplugged at 90%. Before the uPdate on the same charger, I was down to 50KW after about 70%.

Chuck J

Olicanian

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, SL.
Country flag
Finally had my upgrade last week and am awaiting the improvements, if any. So far, the only difference I can see is that the consumption is now described as kWH/100 miles rather than how many miles per kWh.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Latest home charging data - need to add a few trips to the trip data but no significant deviations from the trends here i.e. the uPdate has had zero effect on my car's performance metrics but again nothing more than I expected and very happy with it to date.

In my somewhat unusual case the general consistency of elevation, temperature, AC use and driving style metrics all point towards driving dynamics as a primary impact on my efficiency and range variation as compared to areas with dramatic differences in e.g. seasonal weather, elevation etc. - literally YMMV :)!

Porsche Taycan Taycan Range Test With New Software Update Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 8.20.41 AM

Porsche Taycan Taycan Range Test With New Software Update Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 8.19.55 AM

Porsche Taycan Taycan Range Test With New Software Update Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 8.20.18 AM

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Now that's some data!

I'm really thinking the charging speed increase above 50% is the largest benefit. That, combined with the extra 10 miles will make road trips better. Unfortunately for me, my typical road trip has extremely limited and unreliable charging stations so I have to use my ICE car for those.

Chuck J

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Now that's some data!

I'm really thinking the charging speed increase above 50% is the largest benefit. That, combined with the extra 10 miles will make road trips better. Unfortunately for me, my typical road trip has extremely limited and unreliable charging stations so I have to use my ICE car for those.

Chuck J
Yeah, does seem like a lot but all available in the App or Porsche web site - only additional data is my recording with my phone the SOC after every home charge (in first plot).

BTW, saw your post re DC charging but TBH, I'd be very surprised if the uPdate had any effect on DC charging speed - I could be 100% incorrect here but will be interesting to see how your future DC sessions behave as I suspect the variation you saw there is almost entirely due to the DC charger's behaviour rather than the uPdate.

I need to check the list of changes in the uPdate but don't immediately recall anything re DC charging improvements - do you?
Sponsored