taycan replacement

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
my lease is expiring in a couple of months and I am looking for a replacement.

right now I am considering Polestar, BMW I5, MB eqs, and a lucid.
another taycan is unlikely

can anyone offer any insights about these cars?
Sponsored

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
EQS is a completely different experience. Amazing suspension and comfortable, but nowhere near reactive and fun as Taycan.

Didn’t like the RAS on it either. Prob great for professional chauffeurs in a big city though:)

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag

Hands down the Polestar!

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Having driven all of the cars on your list, and owned a few---

LUCID - They are still suffering some build quality issues. Overall, it drives nice and small, given the size it is a well packaged machine. There are some good points here, like efficiency and the materials feel really nice. But the limited service areas still, and the little mfg imperfections, might sour experience. Seems hit or miss from people. I'd suggest one of their promotional 18 month leases if you go this route as that offers you a safe short period of time to see if you were happy or not. This from your list is probably my top pick.

Polestar - the "2" is the second pick from your list, in that they are super fun cars. I have had 2x of them both AWD but neither are the new RWD-biased version which should drive even better. That said being on a Volvo platform, the steering is a bit numb compared to porsche, and the suspension crashes a bit hard over bumps. I'd avoid the Performance trim just because the suspension is still not adaptive and you have to manually adjust; and you're forced into bigger wheels. But if you live somewhere with nice roads maybe that'd be worthwhile. It has amazing Google AAOS interface + CarPlay/AA options. I really like Polestar, and personally cannot wait for the 4 (the 3 is cool but I'm not a huge SUV person)

As for the rest---
Every MBZ EQ-series vehicle I've driven has left me feeling like I'm a bit too young to appreciate them (I'm in my late 40s). They are supply and smooth but lack any real driving excitement. Full of features, soft and supple, but a bit too disconnected from the road. I'd say the EQE SUV might be sweet spot of the range right now. BMW i4 drives better than the i5, the latter is fast, but again, heavy and no good steering feedback. I like how the i4 M50 drives, but I hate the styling, and the interior feels bit "old school" compared to Taycan, Lucid, Tesla, etc. BMW i5 interior feels more updated, but then the ergo is odd; the light across dash is not continuous (poor design choice), door bins are small, and driving experience was a let down on the M60 version.

Hope this helps-- pardon my rambling!

PS: I've owned P*2 and BMW i4 -- and driven all of the rest but not owned. ;)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Very different cars you have listed.

Here is a review of the new i5M60 and Harry was not impressed.

EQS is nice to travel long distances but very much a boat to drive.

How about the i4M50.

I did not like the Polestar at all. Very cramped and no good range or charging when I borrowed one. Also lots of problem for the owner then, but that is 18 months ago.

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Taycan CT 4S, '24 BMW XM, '23 Honda Ridgeline
Country flag
A good number of Bimmerpost forum members already have their i5s so may want to ask there. As far as the others go, I dropped my Lucid allocation as they didn't have a showroom or service center anywhere near me, Polestar was not on my list as I preferred others over it. Have you considered any of the Evs from Hyundai or Kia, granted not a great dealer experience but they get great reviews and price points are pretty good.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
@TXSchnee brings up a valid point about the Korean cars; dont sleep on those, they are far nicer than the Hyundai/Kia vehicles of a decade ago. I've driven most of those and would seriously consider a few of them.

High lights for me include the Genesis GV60 which is on the eGMP platform; in Performance trim its fast, it's got amazingly nice features, and I think it is stylish. Also if you're a sedan sort of person, the IONIQ 6 in Limited trim drives WAY faster than the #s on paper would have you think, and interior is really nice (not Porsche nice, but for the cost, great band for buck). Also, if you want something a bit more raw/visceral, the Kia EV6 GT (actual GT, not hte GT line; look for the acid green brake calipers) is stupid fast! It's basically a Tesla Model Y Performance, with more refinement and spunk!

OP
OP
kort

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What about Taycan’s little brother, the e-tron GT? Too similar to Taycan for you to consider?
part of the equation is lowering my costs. a lucid, I5 or eqe would be less costly. I think the polestar is out because of range concerns. my son drives a gas genesis and likes that car but I am wary of the hyundais as a whole.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag

Maybe look at the MB EQE sedan. The EQS was a very large floating isolation chamber. Quite the opposite of the Taycan's road feel. The EQE is about the same exterior dimensions as the Taycan with better interior packaging. Lots of configuration options. Similar range to the Taycan. Lots less money. Decent balance of ride and handling. It was #2 on my list. The Taycan won out on it's chassis and looks.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Taycan is hard act to follow

I'm considering

BMW i4 M[whatever]
Taycan .2
Going back to ICE

Taycan has it's issues, but when surveying alternatives ticking all the boxes is difficult.

Taycan's _ONLY_ problem is Price

the CT/ST models are pretty strong in my opinion and in the running for my next vehicle when it comes time to dump the 2020 Taycan Turbo

Irv09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020; Panamera GTS; 911
Country flag
I moved from the Taycan Turbo to the Polestar P2. It has been a blast to drive and it reminds me of my old BMW 330 with the ZHP package. The range has been better than my Turbo and I was a bit frustrated by the software and technical support side for the Taycan. I had the dropped LTE issue with my Taycan and it spent three weeks (total) in the shop with no solution.

OP
OP
kort

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Taycan's _ONLY_ problem is Price
price is a big part of the equation for me, I need to lower my overhead and I can save around 1k a month going with an EQE, I5 or lucid. the polestars can be had at bargain basement prices and other than range and overall blandness of the car might be worth looking at.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
We have both a 2022 4CT (bought used, in late Aug) and a 2023 i4 M50 (bought new, in May).
I checked out the i5 at a dealer this past fall, but did not have time for a test drive.
If the i5 Touring had been slated to come to the U.S., then I probably would have chosen that over the 4CT. The 4CT definitely handles better, and the 14-way seats are amazingly outstanding, but the i4 has some edges in other areas, which the i5 should also have.

And if price is a factor, then a used i4 M50 should be tempting!

Did lots of research on the Lucid, and even went for a short test drive in the AGT. Sure seemed like a nice vehicle for what it is, with some overlap for target audience with the Taycan, but definitely more biased toward the luxobarge end of the spectrum, as compared to, say, why, an actual Porsche! And of course the FUD factor with a startup company and limited service availability in some regions.

In theory the EQS would have ticked off all my boxes. But the SG review sums it up with "not at all sporty" and every other review has some variation on this. Seems like the balance that MB gets right with the regular S series (and that Lucid achieves with the Air) just isn't there at all with the EQS.

I'm surprised a Polestar is on the list. Sure, the upcoming 5, but all the other Polestar models seem rather underwhelming. Not bad, but just not compelling. Especially coming from a Taycan!

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
With the prices on CPO Taycans falling into a reasonable range, you might want to consider looking at a used Taycan as a way to bring your cost down.

Of course, that assumes you are comfortable with the Taycan and only are concerned about the cost. I’m also assuming you would compare the CPO vehicle cost to purchasing your own car at the end of its lease. Keep in mind that sometimes dealers add an extended warranty to both the car and the battery on CPO vehicles.

With so much change and uncertainty in the EV world, and with the possibility that some vendors might actually go out of business (e.g., Lucid), I decided to purchase both my 2021 Taycan and my wife’s 2021 Lexus off of lease and just sit it out for the next 6 to 12 months.
Sponsored