Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I’m sorry, but I don’t think this is correct. You aren’t destroying energy. You are converting it. And if it’s not going into the battery, then it’s going into heat. And it’s unlikely the motor can handle the heat dissipation on its own. It almost certainly requires braking resistors.

Citing almost two decades of induction and permanent magnet motor control. ?
I wasn't serious. ?
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Kidding aside, I think when the battery is full, energy from the battery is used to create a magnetic field which slows down the rotor (permanent magnet) so no recuperation but inversed induction.
If the battery is ready for collecting energy, the proces reverses: no power is applied to the stator but now the rotor generates power cuz of the induction field.
It's pretty straight forward if you look at it.
Magnetism is so cool! ?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Kidding aside, I think when the battery is full, energy from the battery is used to create a magnetic field which slows down the rotor (permanent magnet) so no recuperation but inversed induction.
If the battery is ready for collecting energy, the proces reverses: no power is applied to the stator but now the rotor generates power cuz of the induction field.
It's pretty straight forward if you look at it.
Magnetism is so cool! ?
I think I’m still going to disagree. Then you’d have energy flowing from the battery to the motor? and from the vehicle to the motor ? …and then going where? We have to put the vehicle energy somewhere. I don’t see where it’s going into this scenario. It still has to be dissipated as heat.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
As far as I could gather online: the battery is not full at 100% SoC on the display. There is still some buffer kWh in the battery left. If you would put energy into those buffer kWh too and have the battery at real 100%, the car should stop recuperating.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I think I’m still going to disagree. Then you’d have energy flowing from the battery to the motor? and from the vehicle to the motor ? …and then going where? We have to put the vehicle energy somewhere. I don’t see where it’s going into this scenario. It still has to be dissipated as heat.
Obviously you don't get it.
Never mind. ??‍♂

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
When in doubt, redirect power from the impulse engines to the main deflector.

Then reverse the polarity.

It works in Star Trek. ;)

p.s. I've nicknamed my Taycan 4S "the Spaceship" so this strategy works flawlessly.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
... energy from the battery is used to create a magnetic field which slows down the rotor (permanent magnet) ...
While that might be possible (a Porsche engineer would need to answer this one), I know that on my Tesla when you are at full charge, regeneration simply stops working and the only way to slow the car down is to use your brakes.

I'm not sure if there is a display on the Taycan which shows the flow of electricity from the battery (when you are using electric power) and into the battery (when you are generating electric power). On the Tesla, I can see this on the main display.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
While that might be possible (a Porsche engineer would need to answer this one), I know that on my Tesla when you are at full charge, regeneration simply stops working and the only way to slow the car down is to use your brakes.
it is possible, as that’s exactly what regen is. “Energy from the battery to create a magnetic field to slow the rotor” is regen. It’s creating a magnetic field whose energy is sourced from the battery, but it’s running behind instead of ahead of the rotor so it generates a negative torque to slow the motor, which generates energy into the stator which is sent back to the battery. So, the flow of energy is from the motor to the battery.

I suspect Dee is just messing with us with the additional comments, but it confuses people who aren’t familiar if it’s not clear he’s joking. Someone on another thread appeared convinced their car generated power in city driving and recup in general appears to be fairly misunderstood by a number of people on the forum.

I'm not sure if there is a display on the Taycan which shows the flow of electricity from the battery (when you are using electric power) and into the battery (when you are generating electric power). On the Tesla, I can see this on the main display.
Yes, there are radial gauges that are presumably proportional to power in the center tube for this, but no numbers. Blue to the right for motoring. Green to the left for regen.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
When in doubt, redirect power from the impulse engines to the main deflector.

Then reverse the polarity.

It works in Star Trek. ;)

p.s. I've nicknamed my Taycan 4S "the Spaceship" so this strategy works flawlessly.
That’s what I do when i run into highly localized distortions in the space time continuum. Except when my bussard collectors are full, of course.…?

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
FYI, made a couple edits for clarity on 8/13 to the below:

It is indeed possible to generate negative torque in the motors without putting all of the regenerative energy into the battery. Using a similar principle to field weakening, the phasing of the rotor and stator rotational fields can be made to ‘waste’ a portion of the [edited] energy into heat in the stator coils (ie: the motor) this heat is removed either into a conversion to battery or cabin heat via heat pump or a heat exchanger (not being 100% familiar with the taycans heating system). If it’s not needed to heat something, it would go to the radiators and be used to heat ambient air.
Whether or not porsche uses this technique vs just applying the friction brakes is hard to know without more information. It’s generally known that Tesla doesn’t employ this strategy and instead just turns off regen completely at 100% SOC.

I built a motor controller (inverter) and wrote the software for my DIY EV conversion. Not saying I’m the foremost expert, but my controller did Clark and parke transforms and employed field weakening, and I had to tune its efficiency, so I’ve demonstrated some of this in practice. :)

It doesn’t actually answer your question though!

Last edited:

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
that’s exactly what regen is. “Energy from the battery to create a magnetic field to slow the rotor” is regen.
Normally people refer to 'regen' as regenerating power for the battery (recharging the battery). When you recharge the battery using the motor, the car naturally slows down since the motor is now a generator creating power.

I have not heard regen being used as a term to describe slowing the car down without recharging the battery. I guess its possible but as noted, a Porsche engineer would need to say whether this is done on the Taycan or not. To use the motor as a generator without recharging the battery, you would need a load (a very very big resistor) to accept the power coming from the motor/generator.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Normally people refer to 'regen' as regenerating power for the battery (recharging the battery). When you recharge the battery, the car naturally slows down since the motor is now a generator. I have not heard regen being used as a term to describe slowing the car down without recharging the battery. I guess its possible but as noted, a Porsche engineer would need to say whether this is done on the Taycan or not.
Regen is the motor generating power from an external force. It’s doesn’t have to go into the battery. It’s doesn’t have to be recovered at all. It could also be dissapated as heat either through the motor or more often though resistors, or it can be used by another motor on a common DC bus. Regen is just the process of generating the power. It doesn’t say anything about what’s done with the power. There’s no indication the Taycan does this outside of recup for the battery.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is indeed possible to generate negative torque in the motors without putting regenerative energy into the battery. Using a similar principle to field weakening, the phasing of the rotor and stator rotational fields can be made to ‘waste’ as much energy as you’d like into heat in the stator coils (ie: the motor) this heat is removed either into a conversion to battery or cabin heat via heat pump or a heat exchanger (not being 100% familiar with the taycans heating system). If it’s not needed to heat something, it would go to the radiators and be used to heat ambient air.
Whether or not porsche uses this technique vs just applying the friction brakes is hard to know without more information. It’s generally known that Tesla doesn’t employ this strategy and instead just turns off regen at 100% SOC.

I built a motor controller (inverter) and wrote the software for my DIY EV conversion. Not saying I’m the foremost expert, but my controller did Clark and parke transforms and employed field weakening, so I’ve demonstrated this in practice. :)

It doesn’t actually answer your question though!
I have not seen anything to suggest the Taycan uses the motors for braking outside of recup. I’m not sure why they would add additional components for the extra heat dissipation when the friction brakes are already there?

I’ve also never seen a motor dissipating any substantial heat on its own in the wild. Every application I’ve seen (1000+?) had either a regen front end or resistors (or nothing and had to coast [mostly]). Not saying it’s not out there, just that I’ve never seen it.

How much power could you dissipate through the stator? And for how long?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I suspect Dee is just messing with us with the additional comments, but it confuses people who aren’t familiar if it’s not clear he’s joking.
I'm not messing here.
Once you "short circuit" a motor and add power to the stator (from the battery) you can reverse the turning field, also known as engine breaking.
Instead of feeding the rotor you're slowing it down with the reversed turning field.
I don't know how I can be more clear, maybe it's my English.
If you have a little knowledge about electric motors you would understand.
So, my explanation raises more questions than answers and that's probably my fault. ??‍♂
I'm sorry, it's all in there... ?

Last edited:

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
That’s what I do when i run into highly localized distortions in the space time continuum. Except when my bussard collectors are full, of course.…?
Is it just me, or is the signature Taycan sound very similar to the warp engines ramping up to Warp 9 ... ? :cool:
Sponsored