Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
I have not seen anything to suggest the Taycan uses the motors for braking outside of recup. I’m not sure why they would add additional components for the extra heat dissipation when the friction brakes are already there?

I’ve also never seen a motor dissipating any substantial heat on its own in the wild. Every application I’ve seen (1000+?) had either a regen front end or resistors (or nothing and had to coast [mostly]). Not saying it’s not out there, just that I’ve never seen it.

How much power could you dissipate through the stator? And for how long?
there are no extra components required, it’s using what’s built into the motor. At high speed, your existing motor always does this (field weakening). Your motor is anywhere from say 60-95% efficient, so it already dumps a lot of heat that comes from the stator coils. The cooling system in the motors is the primary thing that allows the taycan to do repeated acceleration runs, they do generate significant heat, not anywhere near an ICE but still significant - more than several your microwave for example.

for clarification, only permanent magnet AC motors or reluctance motors can do this. DC motors would need a resistive or similar load to dissipate heat. Similar with inductance motors, even though they’re AC.
Sponsored

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Unknown to me, but while searching for lost coins under the driver's seat I noticed this:

Porsche Taycan Taycan Secret Tips and Functions IMG_1833

The brake pedal mechanism is made of CARBON FIBER. Perhaps the whole Taycan series has this?

And no, I don't have a Taycan Turbo ... it's a Taycan 4S.

Pretty cool!

p.s The Stabuck's drink is there for, uh, relative size? A pointing device? Thirsty?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Unknown to me, but while searching for lost coins under the driver's seat I noticed this:

IMG_1833.jpeg

The brake pedal mechanism is made of CARBON FIBER. Perhaps the whole Taycan series has this?

Pretty cool!

p.s The Stabuck's drink is there for, uh, relative size? A pointing device? Thirsty?
All Taycans have this.
Pretty cool 'ey? ?

But, the big unanswered question is: did you find them? ?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I would love to use some of this "software" area to have additional customizable keys. Ie: Direct to SiriusXM, Direct to Apple Music, etc.
Better yet, allow this display to show a picture from an external source and send back touch inputs. It would allow for integration with aftermarket devices, like radar detectors, laser jammers, etc.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag

IMG_1833.jpeg

Pretty cool!

And I thought I’ve seen everything! I believe you guys but I have to Go check right now myself!! ?

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Last week, while travelling across some twisty roads in South of France, I found that pushing the rotary knob when map is displayed in the central display, you can set the zoom to auto (default) or manual. I it is very useful to set a closer range so it displays the road in detail and then you are able to see how sharp is the next turn ahead.
Hypothetically speaking of course, this is a great feature if you are driving curvy back roads above posted speed limits (accidentally, of course). You know what's coming next.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
There is a curry hook folded up on the top of the boot (trunk)!

I think this is part of the storage pack - but an absolute essential bit of kit.

To get the Makhan King Prawns, sag Dal and Pilau Rice home without spillage.
Is there a mango lassi straw also? Because that would make it complete.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
So for three months and a couple of thousand miles, I learned that you don't have to place the car in park when finished driving. Foot on the brake and press the ON/Off switch for a few seconds. I thought that it had to be placed in PARK first.
No different than my current M4 - fairly std. I think in modern vehicles other than pure manual cars.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
No different than my current M4 - fairly std. I think in modern vehicles other than pure manual cars.
It’s a little different. I had an F80 M3 and if I remember right, not only did you not have to put it in park, you couldn’t put it in park, separate from turning it off. There was no park in the shifter or any other button. I could be remembering it wrong, but I that’s how I remember it.

That’s the only car I’ve ever driven like that.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
It’s a little different. I had an F80 M3 and if I remember right, not only did you not have to put it in park, you couldn’t put it in park, separate from turning it off. There was no park in the shifter or any other button. I could be remembering it wrong, but I that’s how I remember it.

That’s the only car I’ve ever driven like that.
To quote just one description:

“If the engine is shutdown with the DCT in either S, D or R, it will it directly go to P. If the engine is shutdown with the DCT in N, it will stay in N and will require another press of the Start/Stop button to go into P.”

A lot of complaints about this car not behaving like an automatic is simply because the M4 is NOT an automatic! :) TBH, always amazed me how people found this to be difficult to get!
Sponsored

Last edited: