submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
So for three months and a couple of thousand miles, I learned that you don't have to place the car in park when finished driving. Foot on the brake and press the ON/Off switch for a few seconds. I thought that it had to be placed in PARK first.
Isn't it easier to just put it in Park? I stop the car, press Park, get out. No holding of Power button required.
Sponsored

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Isn't it easier to just put it in Park? I stop the car, press Park, get out. No holding of Power button required.
Thats exactly how I do it too. Park, get out, shut the door, walk away and lock the doors with the FOB. Park is a shorter press compared to the power button which requires a few seconds.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
To quote just one description:

“If the engine is shutdown with the DCT in either S, D or R, it will it directly go to P. If the engine is shutdown with the DCT in N, it will stay in N and will require another press of the Start/Stop button to go into P.”

A lot of complaints about this car not behaving like an automatic is simply because the M4 is NOT an automatic! :) TBH, always amazed me how people found this to be difficult to get!
I don't think the park was difficult and I got used to it (although I do like the separate park button on the Taycan; I use it, for example, when I'm waiting for curbside pickup orders).

What I did find difficult was the turn signal lever and the fact that it wasn't physically maintained. I would push it one way to change lanes, then have to push it back to stop it, but I would go too far and activate it the other way...then push it back the first direction to turn that off, only to reactivate the first direction. Just driving down the road alternating turn signals like a moron.

This is the real reason BMW owners don't use turn signals...

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I don't think the park was difficult and I got used to it (although I do like the separate park button on the Taycan; I use it, for example, when I'm waiting for curbside pickup orders).

What I did find difficult was the turn signal lever and the fact that it wasn't physically maintained. I would push it one way to change lanes, then have to push it back to stop it, but I would go too far and activate it the other way...then push it back the first direction to turn that off, only to reactivate the first direction. Just driving down the road alternating turn signals like a moron.

:), I've done that a few times but TBH equally so in other cars so indicator issues by no means unique to Bimmers. Going to sound like a bit of a fan boy here but honestly the M4 vert has been an absolute rock solid vehicle since I drove it out of the center in Munich Sep 12 2014 on a Euro delivery stint - apparently the very first US bound Euro delivery vert no less! I have literally not had a single issue, recall or mech problem 6+ yrs and a daily driver - possibly a first in all the cars I've owned - may be just dumb luck but of course now the I've said that I'm doomed :)!

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag

To turn off the signals in a BMW, you push the lever in the same direction you used to turn the signal on in the first place.

That is, to turn left, you push down past the resistance on the lever. To turn off the indicator, you push down again. This is the opposite of a regular turn indicator, where you push in the opposite direction.

BMW was giving us foreshadowing of the Tesla yoke: the "innovation" that nobody asked for and nobody wanted.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To turn off the signals in a BMW, you push the lever in the same direction you used to turn the signal on in the first place.

That is, to turn left, you push down past the resistance on the lever. To turn off the indicator, you push down again. This is the opposite of a regular turn indicator, where you push in the opposite direction.

BMW was giving us foreshadowing of the Tesla yoke: the "innovation" that nobody asked for and nobody wanted.
I’ll take your word for it since I don’t have the car anymore. I guess I never figured it out while I had it.

Last edited:

J0EL

First Name
Y1ADB1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
When completely stopped in traffic behind another car, the car creeps forward. I guess im not stepping on the brake hard enough so it creeps without me noticing.
To avoid keeping your foot on the brake when completely stopped in traffic, you can use "HOLD" braking. To activate HOLD, turn on innodrive and it works.

J0EL

First Name
Y1ADB1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
What's the trick to raise your wiper blades?
Im guessing the old school way... turn them on and calculate when to turn off your car :facepalm:

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
When completely stopped in traffic behind another car, the car creeps forward. I guess im not stepping on the brake hard enough so it creeps without me noticing.
To avoid keeping your foot on the brake when completely stopped in traffic, you can use "HOLD" braking. To activate HOLD, turn on innodrive and it works.
Actually, just push and hold the brake pedal firmly while stopped and the hold light will illuminate. Then you can take your foot off and the car won't creep forward.

J0EL

First Name
Y1ADB1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Actually, just push and hold the brake pedal firmly while stopped and the hold light will illuminate. Then you can take your foot off and the car won't creep forward.
Ive tried but it only works if im on an inclined road. Then hold kicks in from rolling backwards.
Is there a setting for this? I'll keep trying different things. Thanks for mentioning this

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ive tried but it only works if im on an inclined road. Then hold kicks in from rolling backwards.
Is there a setting for this? I'll keep trying different things. Thanks for mentioning this
No, it’s just as @nycebo stated. Just push the pedal in. If you already have it mostly depressed, you may have to release slightly and repress. InnoDrive isn’t required. It’s not even specific to the Taycan as my Macan does this also.

Great feature none-the-less. ?

Reactions: Dee

J0EL

First Name
Y1ADB1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
No, it’s just as @nycebo stated. Just push the pedal in. If you already have it mostly depressed, you may have to release slightly and repress. InnoDrive isn’t required. It’s not even specific to the Taycan as my Macan does this also.

Great feature none-the-less. ?
something may be wrong with my hold. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks!

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
What's the trick to raise your wiper blades?
Im guessing the old school way... turn them on and calculate when to turn off your car :facepalm:
Just after you switch the car off ("switch off operational readiness"), momentarily push the wiper control stalk down like you would for a single-wipe action. The blades will move up and stay at the top position. To lower them back to the normal rest position, just switch the car on again and repeat the down-press on the wiper stalk.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Press harder.

Same feature in other Porsche models.

Note that the brake / stop lights are also applied once hold is activated.
Sponsored