Ferdinand

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S as of Feb 2021; before, BMW i3
Country flag
My model year 2021 Taycan 4S (U.S.A) got its at-dealer software update 10 days ago. At first I thought there were no problems, but a couple of times since, even though I have Comfort Access activated, when I get into the car the steering wheel and driver’s seat do not return to the positions I set. And though the outside mirrors fold back into their driving position, they do not return to the positions I had set. (The first time that happened, I noticed only after I had pulled onto the highway and realized I couldn’t see the rear side views properly, which caused some consternation as I find the buttons to correct the mirror positions small and placed too far back for easy correction without having to look down at them when I’d rather keep my eyes on the road, front and rear. My BMW i3 had larger, better placed controls for that.) This seems to be an intermittent problem, and I’ll want to see more of what happens before calling my Porsche dealer. The first time it happened I think the steering wheel and driver’s seat came back into their proper positions, and it was just the side mirrors that didn’t, but I’m not sure. Now that I’m aware of the problem, I’ll take more care to notice exactly what’s happening. Anyone else have this problem with a MY 2021 4S?
Sponsored

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I dropped of my 2020 at the dealer today and they happily took it for the WMA5/7 update. They said they have three other Taycans with the update in progress. So there is certainly NO global stop for the update.

However, I still believe @Benjamin and probably his local Porsche center has trouble with the updates either due to wrong procedures followed by their technicians or defective tech equipment.

I'm going to guess that the reaction from folks is due to the fact that the original statement was made in a rather unequivocal manner, and is simply not true. The software has not been withdrawn by Porsche, and whoever made this statement to the poster was highly uninformed and borderline irresponsible. You can't stand up in a movie theater and shout 'Fire', which is basically what has happened here.

It's been documented that the update is quite involved and difficult for some dealerships to install. This is what should have been communicated early on, and any dealer that has cancelled appointments because of this difficulty is not a high quality dealer. I honestly suspected this because the dealer response '...the cars don't drive off the lot anymore..' doesn't indicate a high level of technical acuity.

I'm sure the original poster did not intend to start a 'fire drill', and had the best intentions to notify fellow owners of a potential problem. I think we have enough information at this point to move ahead. This is one of the best and most civil forums I've experienced, and the folks here have the best intentions in mind, and I certainly think we can lower the temperature here.

Last edited:

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Got my car back today. I went in knowing I was the first one the dealer was attempting, and it took them two tries to get it to work. Car was throwing codes after their first attempt, so they re-did the whole process.

Going on a road trip tomorrow, so good luck to me. :p

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
After update courtesy hood and trunk opening no longer work. Called dealer they told me they are aware of this issue but now seeing issues with gps/ navigation. Anyone know how courtesy opening actually works. Dealer implied sensor burned out with update. Not sure this makes sense

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
Got my car back today. I went in knowing I was the first one the dealer was attempting, and it took them two tries to get it to work. Car was throwing codes after their first attempt, so they re-did the whole process.

Going on a road trip tomorrow, so good luck to me. :p
Hope all goes well!

Being suspicious of my dealer quality I called to verify my appointment on April 6th and to also see how things were going with other folks’ updates. To not much surprise they didn’t realize the duration of the update and it’s now rescheduled for the middle of May.

Given I was headed out on a 3 week road trip this weekend, probably best to do it later after they have some practice.

Last edited:

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The software has not been withdrawn by Porsche, and whoever made this statement to the poster was highly uninformed and borderline irresponsible. You can't stand up in a movie theater and shout 'Fire', which is basically what has happened here.
That is highly uninformed person seems to be the OP since he later said

The wording was: "we do not get the vehicles from the yard, because the update does not go through".
That is about 10,000 miles (16,000 km) from the drama statement that the update is withdrawn because it bricks cars.

Rekool3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2020 911 Carrera 4S
I've just now read this entire thread, and the stress level has been all over the scale. I've had a trouble-free Turbo S since December 2019, and frankly haven't checked in too much here on the Forum since Don left. ( a sad day). Just been lovin my car! (11,800 miles worth)

I did get the email from Porsche for the software updates, and am scheduled for the 13th, knowing it will be a couple of days, as my model gets the most "new" features, or so I am told by my service dept. I'm looking forward to it, and frankly am glad it's still more than a week out. More time to hear your experiences and solutions.

We are a passionate group, no question, but let's try and remember that we are here to help and learn from each other. No need to get wound-up just because some post seems to be erroneous or the voice of doom, or whatever.

On we go, eh? I will share my part when my turn comes. Meanwhile...

Cheers

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I have however noticed a number of erroneous Collision Warnings pop up since the update, I should check my sensors at the front of the vehicle to ensure they’re clean. Hopefully it’s just something trivial like that.
That would be annoying, since I already have plenty of collsion warnings, and I would love to have the option to permanently disable that thing!

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
That would be annoying, since I already have plenty of collsion warnings, and I would love to have the option to permanently disable that thing!
You can select warning sensitivity: "fast, normal, late".
I'm on "late" at all sensors.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
After update courtesy hood and trunk opening no longer work. Called dealer they told me they are aware of this issue but now seeing issues with gps/ navigation. Anyone know how courtesy opening actually works. Dealer implied sensor burned out with update. Not sure this makes sense
Check the comfort settings in the PCM - you may find that some options such as rear trunk opening have been unchecked. If so just check them and it should be fine.

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan '19 (Crayon), Taycan 4S+ '21 (Black)
Country flag
Check the comfort settings in the PCM - you may find that some options such as rear trunk opening have been unchecked. If so just check them and it should be fine.
Good chance this works. Got mine back after the update (4 weeks or so ago) and one of the few settings that got lost was that one.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
You can select warning sensitivity: "fast, normal, late".
I'm on "late" at all sensors.
now you are laughing, but since a few years ago I am an insider. I was in Dubai in a bedouin desert tent smoking happily away as suddenly this guy sits next to me. We joked around and he said: Hey, our marketing team went on a research trip to the low lands and you won’t believe it. What marketing? For our new EV. They found out why powerful EVs are so popular there. He said, they have this new favourite past time they call it the hunt! The hunt? What BS is that? Well, they smoke a few with their buddies and then drive their EV around town and when they see a bicycle in the middle of the road, speed up and break really hard very close to scare the living shit out of them. I said, no way, you make this shit up. He said, no really, we even wrote a few extra lines of codes only for our Dutch customers!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
now you are laughing, but since a few years ago I am an insider. I was in Dubai in a bedouin desert tent smoking happily away as suddenly this guy sits next to me. We joked around and he said: Hey, our marketing team went on a research trip to the low lands and you won’t believe it. What marketing? For our new EV. They found out why powerful EVs are so popular there. He said, they have this new favourite past time they call it the hunt! The hunt? What BS is that? Well, they smoke a few with their buddies and then drive their EV around town and when they see a bicycle in the middle of the road, speed up and break really hard very close to scare the living shit out of them. I said, no way, you make this shit up. He said, no really, we even wrote a few extra lines of codes only for our Dutch customers!
I know, I was there.
But we got this thing called "night view assist" where the car detects animals, bicycles, pedestrians etc.
Guess what? The car automatically brakes when you're too close to them...
I mean, what point is it targeting an object but you can't even hit it?!
Tell me.
Sponsored