Fishy

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, TVR Tuscan
Country flag
Hi everyone, brand new to this forum so still trying to find my way around, so apologies if this has been asked before. In a dilemma and asking for opinions please. Have owned a Tesla Model S since March 2018 and was fortunate enough to have got free supercharging from new. Placed order for new Tesla S back in June 2021 but despite several visits to Tesla dealer still no wiser as to when i may or may not see new car. Current Tesla has now covered 90,000 miles so im looking to replace and been looking at Taycan. I have Tesla charger fitted at home and also have 3 phase electricity so Tesla will charge at 51mph, so most nights even from empty will charge to full if i need it within 5 hours. With cost of electricity these days this is quite important as between midnight and 5am i am on a very cheap Kwh rate. It is too long a wait for a new Taycan so i am looking at a nearly new purchase. There are 3 questions / concerns i have really.
1. Will i miss the Tesla SuperCharger Network, 90,000 miles in 4 years without any problems at all, has anyone else who drives reasonable distances gone from Tesla to Taycan and regretted it because of charging issues?
2. Would i need to have the 22kw on board AC charger to benefit from my 3 phase Tesla charger at home or would charging speed be quick enough without this?
3. The car i am looking at does not have the Electric charging covers fitted, is this just a gimmick or is it a great feature?

Many thanks
Sponsored

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Hi everyone, brand new to this forum so still trying to find my way around, so apologies if this has been asked before. In a dilemma and asking for opinions please. Have owned a Tesla Model S since March 2018 and was fortunate enough to have got free supercharging from new. Placed order for new Tesla S back in June 2021 but despite several visits to Tesla dealer still no wiser as to when i may or may not see new car. Current Tesla has now covered 90,000 miles so im looking to replace and been looking at Taycan. I have Tesla charger fitted at home and also have 3 phase electricity so Tesla will charge at 51mph, so most nights even from empty will charge to full if i need it within 5 hours. With cost of electricity these days this is quite important as between midnight and 5am i am on a very cheap Kwh rate. It is too long a wait for a new Taycan so i am looking at a nearly new purchase. There are 3 questions / concerns i have really.
1. Will i miss the Tesla SuperCharger Network, 90,000 miles in 4 years without any problems at all, has anyone else who drives reasonable distances gone from Tesla to Taycan and regretted it because of charging issues?
2. Would i need to have the 22kw on board AC charger to benefit from my 3 phase Tesla charger at home or would charging speed be quick enough without this?
3. The car i am looking at does not have the Electric charging covers fitted, is this just a gimmick or is it a great feature?

Many thanks
Hi Martin
I haven't got my 4S CT yet...hopefully only another 5 weeks to go. I do a similar mileage to you so coming from a diesel X5 it's going to be interesting!
1. I'm sure you will miss the Tesla network until more of them are opened up and fitted with longer cables. That said it will depend where you live and your usual long routes.
2. I haven't ordered the 22kw charger. I rarely do two long runs on consecutive days so unlikely to need a big charge in one night. I also live very close to Beaconsfield Services which has 350kw Ionity chargers so on the odd occasion I do need to do a big charge in one night I can always drop in to Beaconsfield Services as I come off the motorway and get a quick part charge there and finish charging at home.
3. I haven't ordered the electric charge covers.....something else to go wrong!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I also have the plain covers and they work great. To me it was a requirement since I am also worried about the electric ones failing.
Quite, they fit into the gadget fan category IMO, not needed but some swoon over them.

They cost money, block the air curtain duct and are another thing to go wrong so not for me.

OTOH for some they are a mega cool gadget woth every penny.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Welcome. As a 2017 MX owner with 75K miles (and free supercharging) I can understand your concern, but there are more and more non-Tesla ultra fast charging options now than 5 years ago. Also as the Tesla network fully opens up it will be even less of any issue. The SC network is hands down the best thing about Tesla. I will still be in both camps so to speak as the X needs to stay for other duties.

If you have 3-phase at home then definitely 100% spec the 22kW charging option. I have the 3-phase at home and work and did. Previous harmonics issues should now be sorted by SW updates.

Electric charging covers are purely cosmetic rather than functionally necessary. Up to you.

Finally you may be in store for a longer wait on the Taycan than a new S. Many of us, yours truly included, are still waiting a year or more after placing our orders. Good luck.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I went from a Tesla to a Taycan.

There are lots of things better on the Taycan. Like driving capabilities, sound insulation and styling. But there also some things that you will miss when going away from Tesla.

For me the biggest difference is the lower level of 'usability' on the Taycan. (I am not sure this is the correct english word. I am not a native english speaker)

Tesla tries to make a good compromise between style/sport/comfort and usability. The trunk space, the back seats, the headroom, the frunk space,... is all much more usable on a Tesla.
Porsche sacrificed a lot of usability for styling.

On a Tesla (not counting potential bugs) most features work logic and effortless. The app, the plug-and-charge, the autolocking/unlocking, activating auto-pilot, setting a charging timer, planning a route,.... You see that they really thought about usability. (I agree sometimes it does not work because of software bugs, but the idea behind the design is very smart.)

With the Taycan, you have all the features but they do are not always 100% easy to use.
-The app does not connect with the car as smooth as the tesla
-The app is less user friendly. And has less features. Like starting the car with the app.
-Setting charging timers is super complex
-Activating and deactivating lane keeping is hidden deep in the menu's. No easy single and double tap
-Opening the frunk requires an additional hook to release
-Closing the trunk is not possible with the remote
-Auto locking/unlocking does not work so smooth.
-Tesla supercharing is super easy compared to going to other charging networks.

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
Coming from a 2019 TM3P (model S didn't fit in my parking lot :giggle: ) i got a Taycan 4S since 4 months or so and did few roadtrips.

1/Nothing beat Tesla network of superchargeur in term of practicality. In continental Europe other networks (Ionity come in mind) aren't that bad but they are not the same league still. However, having 800V tech is really neat and make the charging experience a lot better

2/No idea

3/ Electric cover are mostly cosmetic unless you are coming from a Tesla. As covers are also electric on the Tesla, i never bothered to close them (except when they opened during a washing session). On the Taycan, on top of looking cool they do close automaticaly. Is it a must have option? no. Is it nice to have? Yes because i'm fairly sure i would have forgot to close them a few times otherwise and would have look fairly stupid :CWL:

And i +1 to ben1 comment, almost everything is easier on a Tesla but i've absolutely no regret to have switch to Taycan

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
I've got a MY22 Taycan RWD Saloon.

I specced the 22kw charger and have never used it in my almost 5k miles driven so far. I wouldn't spec it next time.

I've got the standard charge cover and they are great. Like others i think the electric one is another thing to go wrong and are a bit of a gimmick. But no doubt to some they are the bees knees!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

Many thanks
  1. Depending on how much you use the Tesla superchargers today, and whether or not there are suitable replacements available on your travel routes. For me (in the US) I see sufficient proliferation of Electrify America where I would be driving my Teslas, hence not a big issue.
  2. Depending on how much charge you need each night that you are trying to squeeze into the 5hr window. Personally I ordered the upgraded onboard charger, even though it has only come useful once or twice a year on my Tesla (I have the 19.2KW charger on one of my Model S, so will have 19.2KW EVSE ready for the Taycan at home, though half the time it's useful for me is not at home).
  3. I agonized over Taycan powered charge covers for a while (silver lining of not finding an allocation for over a year perhaps?) but decided against them primarily because it would trigger my OCD by blocking the air scarfs, therefore making the car less efficient (range hit 1-5%, depending on who you ask). They just seem (to me) like a compromise of car's aerodynamics for a gadgety charge port cover. I like the appearance of a smaller charge port, but dislike the touch sensor fins, so a tie on the esthetics (again, for me).

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
  1. Depending on how much you use the Tesla superchargers today, and whether or not there are suitable replacements available on your travel routes. For me (in the US) I see sufficient proliferation of Electrify America where I would be driving my Teslas, hence not a big issue.
  2. Depending on how much charge you need each night that you are trying to squeeze into the 5hr window. Personally I ordered the upgraded onboard charger, even though it has only come useful once or twice a year on my Tesla (I have the 19.2KW charger on one of my Model S, so will have 19.2KW EVSE ready for the Taycan at home, though half the time it's useful for me is not at home).
  3. I agonized over Taycan powered charge covers for a while (silver lining of not finding an allocation for over a year perhaps?) but decided against them primarily because it would trigger my OCD by blocking the air scarfs, therefore making the car less efficient (range hit 1-5%, depending on who you ask). They just seem (to me) like a compromise of car's aerodynamics for a gadgety charge port cover. I like the appearance of a smaller charge port, but dislike the touch sensor fins, so a tie on the esthetics (again, for me).
I was not aware of the air scarfs and don't even know what air scarfs are. Can you explain please?

I've spec'd them although agree it's something to go wrong. My concern is vandalism or just me breaking the manual flaps off with the charge lead. They do look cool but expensive. But would both pack up at the same time meaning you can't charge. possible I guess.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I was not aware of the air scarfs and don't even know what air scarfs are. Can you explain please?

I've spec'd them although agree it's something to go wrong. My concern is vandalism or just me breaking the manual flaps off with the charge lead. They do look cool but expensive. But would both pack up at the same time meaning you can't charge. possible I guess.
The powered charge ports block the vent between the wheel well and the door side (the vent between the front bumper and wheel well remains open though). You can search this forum for some discussion on this topic.
Porsche Taycan Tesla S v Taycan 1666091510182

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The powered charge ports block the vent between the wheel well and the door side (the vent between the front bumper and wheel well remains open though). You can search this forum for some discussion on this topic.
1666091510182.png
I didn't know this so may remove from my spec. Do you know a thread I can read?

ljump12

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3
Country flag
I didn't know this so may remove from my spec. Do you know a thread I can read?
I'll give you the summary: it does block the vent (and therefore a very very slight range hit), but the vent is a poor design and the tire kicks up rocks and grime into the vent that gets slung onto the side of the car -- so you may actually prefer it to be blocked.

Also, the electric doors can be removed manually should they "break" for whatever reason -- so you'll never be blocked from charging.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'll give you the summary: it does block the vent (and therefore a very very slight range hit), but the vent is a poor design and the tire kicks up rocks and grime into the vent that gets slung onto the side of the car -- so you may actually prefer it to be blocked.

Also, the electric doors can be removed manually should they "break" for whatever reason -- so you'll never be blocked from charging.
Thanks. This makes it a difficult choice. I'm going full PPF but if the drag savings are minimal then stopping the dirt is desireable only to stop it looking dirty. And worse I've spec'd white

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag

This was taken by someone on a local website to show this vandalism does happen at the public charging points. Also, as the flap sticks out a LOT i can see how it can be damaged. It’s personal choice at the end of the day and aesthetics.

Porsche Taycan Tesla S v Taycan 0FD43895-69CE-4477-B617-06A4B04D63C0
Sponsored