redrocket

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Panamera 4S, Bimmer X3
Country flag
Have had my Turbo for over 3 months and about 2,000 miles. Absolutely love the car. Not much I don’t like. It is gorgeous, handles like a dream, I get thumbs up’s daily and have spent hours showing the car to strangers who just love it. I like the electronics, it has reasonable range, and OMG is it FAST! Once inside it fits like a glove. Just about the perfect car, except, who was the Einstein that designed the B pillar??? I’m a tall guy, 6’ 4”, and I have a helluva time getting in and out of the car. Because of the design of the B pillar, ingress/egress is a bitc*. I would love to take a Sawzall to the B pillar, although I guess if I am ever t-boned I’ll be happy it was designed that way.

I have found the best way to get in is to open the door, back up to the car and plant my rump on the seat cushion, and then rotate 90 degrees. Actually, for my build, I can’t find any other way to do it. Getting out is just the reverse, but I pull myself out with the door handle, with one hand pulling on the steering wheel. So that is not a huge problem as I can get in/out, although with some difficulty. Here’s the problem: at 2,000 miles I am noticing a little wear and lots of creasing of the leather on the left bolster of the drivers seat cushion. I am afraid that over time it could take on a bit of a shabby look. I bought this car to be a keeper. I applied a coat of Leatherique oil to the bolster today in an effort to help keep it supple.

So, I love the car except for that aspect. A more vertical B pillar would make the situation lots better. Anyone have suggestions on how to do a better job of getting in/out over what I am currently doing? I think if I was a shorter fellow it wouldn’t be so bad. Taking the Sawzall to my legs is not an appropriate response;)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Have had my Turbo for over 3 months and about 2,000 miles. Absolutely love the car. Not much I don’t like. It is gorgeous, handles like a dream, I get thumbs up’s daily and have spent hours showing the car to strangers who just love it. I like the electronics, it has reasonable range, and OMG is it FAST! Once inside it fits like a glove. Just about the perfect car, except, who was the Einstein that designed the B pillar??? I’m a tall guy, 6’ 4”, and I have a helluva time getting in and out of the car. Because of the design of the B pillar, ingress/egress is a bitc*. I would love to take a Sawzall to the B pillar, although I guess if I am ever t-boned I’ll be happy it was designed that way.

I have found the best way to get in is to open the door, back up to the car and plant my rump on the seat cushion, and then rotate 90 degrees. Actually, for my build, I can’t find any other way to do it. Getting out is just the reverse, but I pull myself out with the door handle, with one hand pulling on the steering wheel. So that is not a huge problem as I can get in/out, although with some difficulty. Here’s the problem: at 2,000 miles I am noticing a little wear and lots of creasing of the leather on the left bolster of the drivers seat cushion. I am afraid that over time it could take on a bit of a shabby look. I bought this car to be a keeper. I applied a coat of Leatherique oil to the bolster today in an effort to help keep it supple.

So, I love the car except for that aspect. A more vertical B pillar would make the situation lots better. Anyone have suggestions on how to do a better job of getting in/out over what I am currently doing? I think if I was a shorter fellow it wouldn’t be so bad. Taking the Sawzall to my legs is not an appropriate response;)
May you have to invest in a rotating seat cushion? Have a look on the internet

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Here’s the problem: at 2,000 miles I am noticing a little wear and lots of creasing of the leather on the left bolster of the drivers seat cushion. I am afraid that over time it could take on a bit of a shabby look. I bought this car to be a keeper. I applied a coat of Leatherique oil to the bolster today in an effort to help keep it supple.
Can't comment on the B-pillar but it might be worth a getting a leather coating to put on the bolsters to protect them a little.
https://www.gtechniq.co.uk/shop/auto/interior/l1-leather-guard-ab/
It's a UK link but I guess you can source in the US, or something equivalent.
The oils aren't generally of any use of this type of leather, which essentially has a clear coat on the top of it, so products don't soak in, they just sit on the top.

OP
OP
redrocket

redrocket

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I have found the best way to get in is to open the door, back up to the car and plant my rump on the seat cushion, and then rotate 90 degrees. Actually, for my build, I can’t find any other way to do it. Getting out is just the reverse, but I pull myself out with the door handle, with one hand pulling on the steering wheel. So that is not a huge problem as I can get in/out, although with some difficulty. Here’s the problem: at 2,000 miles I am noticing a little wear and lots of creasing of the leather on the left bolster of the drivers seat cushion. I am afraid that over time it could take on a shabby look. I bought this car to be a keeper. I applied a coat of Leatherique oil to the bolster today in an effort to help keep it supple.

May you have to invest in a rotating seat cushion? Have a look on the internet
Not a bad idea, but when I am crawling out of the car I work my way to the left side of the seat and am sitting on the raised bolster before I actually get out. That’s what causes the slight wear I am seeing. Sometimes being tall is handicapping.

OP
OP
redrocket

redrocket

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can't comment on the B-pillar but it might be worth a getting a leather coating to put on the bolsters to protect them a little.
https://www.gtechniq.co.uk/shop/auto/interior/l1-leather-guard-ab/
It's a UK link but I guess you can source in the US, or something equivalent.
The oils aren't generally of any use of this type of leather, which essentially has a clear coat on the top of it, so products don't soak in, they just sit on the top.
Thanks, I’ll look for something similar.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Nick Murray discussed this in his video back in april. This car will either keep you young or break your back.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’m almost your height (I’m 6’3”), and have absolutely no issues getting in or out of the car. Seems like something else is going on. Do you have a bad back? Anyway, sorry I can’t help you but I hope you work it out! Actually, one thing - would it help if you made the seat higher? Or adjusted some other way?

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag
Not a bad idea, but when I am crawling out of the car I work my way to the left side of the seat and am sitting on the raised bolster before I actually get out. That’s what causes the slight wear I am seeing. Sometimes being tall is handicapping.
I/m sure being tall certainly doesn't help but I don't think it's only an issue for tall people. I am 5'8" and I can still relate to your experience. I am used to putting my right foot first in the car then sitting but with the Taycan I find myself sitting first, as you described, then rotating 90-dgrs. At this point can only hope to see a future design improvement. Otherwise agree....car is fantastic.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Nick Murray discussed this in his video back in april. This car will either keep you young or break your back.

I hadn’t seen that video before. Good one! I totally agree with his grievances and he articulates them well. Hopefully Porsche saw this!

Anyway, back to redrocket’s issue. I think I know why I have no problem while he does, and we are about the same height. I have found that I like my seat in a car much further forward than most people. I don’t know why, I guess I like to be sitting up more. Whenever I get in a car that another guy has been driving, I almost always move the seat up, even if he is considerably shorter than me. Rocket - could you live with moving the seat up further, so the pillar isn’t so much in the way?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I use my left elbow and put it on the B-pillar.
That way you can "pull" yourself out.
My right hand is on the steering wheel.
Used together it's easy to get out.
Works great!

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I’m almost your height (I’m 6’3”), and have absolutely no issues getting in or out of the car. Seems like something else is going on. Do you have a bad back? Anyway, sorry I can’t help you but I hope you work it out! Actually, one thing - would it help if you made the seat higher? Or adjusted some other way?
I too am over 6' 3" and don't have any issues. That said, it could be my expectations. I used to own a '95 Mazda RX-7. Getting in that thing required some serious gymnastics.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Don’t worry about the leather wear, any good restorer can sort it out in a couple of years when it looks really tired