This is why the Taycan is the way to go

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Agreed…but one can get a lot at @Porsche for $155k ….
Well, at least you can put a deposit down at Porsche. Gotta say though, that deposit receipt in my email mailbox is amazingly silent, no squeaks or rattles whatsoever, but being a scan of a photocopy and very poorly worded, it has some quality issues. ;)
Sponsored

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
As many said here, one is a practical appliance with digital gizmos (and no Apple Car play), shopping cart brakes and suspension, sent unfinished into this world with plastic squeakier than a 2002 blackberry phone.

The other one is a performance car with personality.

What's the point in comparing IKEA to Hermes furniture?

ps. about going fast: a lot of Teslas here in Switzerland. But no one in their right mind goes for spirited drives in the Alps - They want to bring the family home alive
The brakes on both of my Model Xs were outstanding. The suspension with the 22” rims was more than sufficient for any way you should be driving in public, but you could tell when I put on 19” rims and winter tires. I never experienced any squeaking.

I agree entirely that they are aiming at different markets, but that doesn’t make the Teslas garbage.

I am a Porschephile at whom the Taycan Cross Turismo is squarely aimed (and who has been driving Porsches on the streets and racing Porsches on the tracks for more than 20 years) so I need no convincing of its qualities. But I do wish that the Porsche technologies were more intuitive like the Tesla.

I think the better way to explain the difference is that Tesla is a great software company that built a good car (and a great charging network for the coasts in the US), while Porsche is a great car company that builds great cars with mediocre (nearly shameful) technology/software, although it is improving on that point

Last edited:

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
The brakes on both of my Model Xs were outstanding. The suspension with the 22” rims was more than sufficient for any way you should be driving in public, but you could tell when I put on 19” rims and winter tires. I never experienced any squeaking.

I agree entirely that they are aiming at different markets, but that doesn’t make the Teslas garbage.

I am a Porschephile at whom the Taycan Cross Turismo is squarely aimed (and who has been driving Porsches on the streets and racing in Porsches on the tracks for more than 20 years) so I need no convincing of its qualities. But I do wish the Porsche technology were more intuitive like the Tesla.

I think the better way to explain the difference is that Tesla is a great software company that built a good car, while Porsche is a great car company that builds great cars with mediocre (nearly shameful) technology/software, although it is improving on that point
I don't disagree, although I tried a model S in the mountains and suspensions were barely ok-ish and brakes scary (did not try the X). The cabin is fascinating for the first 10 minutes, then it feels cheap (maybe squeaks are not in all units, still there are so many videos and reports around...)

did not say it's garbage. Kudos to Tesla for early disruption of the industry. But if I need a car capable of generating emotions, well, that's something else.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't disagree, although I tried a model S in the mountains and suspensions were barely ok-ish and brakes scary (did not try the X). The cabin is fascinating for the first 10 minutes, then it feels cheap (maybe squeaks are not in all units, still there are so many videos and reports around...)

did not say it's garbage. Kudos to Tesla for early disruption of the industry. But if I need a car capable of generating emotions, well, that's something else.
Understood completely. I have actually never driven an S.

For emotion, I’ll still take my normally aspirated, manual transmission 911 Club Coupe any day. Compared to the Model X with ludicrous mode or the Taycan, it would struggle to keep up in a straight line (and maybe, but just maybe, in the corners for the Taycan), but the sound when I hit 7 or 7.5K rpm and the feeling when I take that certain corner I will never admit at 120 mph is inspirational. And the Porsches do inspire confidence when you drive them (particularly the 911, but that‘s probably just because I have had so much more seat time in 911s). My Taycan CT has every suspension option and the ceramic brakes, so I look forward to “experimenting“ a bit with the car.

P.S. I used to live in Konstanz am Bodensee, which is probably where I picked up the pesky Porsche addiction . . .

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
Understood completely. I have actually never driven an S.

For emotion, I’ll still take my normally aspirated, manual transmission 911 Club Coupe any day. Compared to the Model X with ludicrous mode or the Taycan, it would struggle to keep up in a straight line (and maybe, but just maybe, in the corners for the Taycan), but the sound when I hit 7 or 7.5K rpm and the feeling when I take that certain corner I will never admit at 120 mph is inspirational. And the Porsches do inspire confidence when you drive them (particularly the 911, but that‘s probably just because I have had so much more seat time in 911s). My Taycan CT has every suspension option and the ceramic brakes, so I look forward to “experimenting“ a bit with the car.

P.S. I used to live in Konstanz am Bodensee, which is probably where I picked up the pesky Porsche addiction . . .
:)
I have the 992 turbo s too, and kissed the ground in Zuffenhausen. So I understand

Dr.Ericthedrill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Audi RS3, Nissan Serena
Country flag
I don’t own a Tesla but I frequently ride one as close family members and friends own them. Compared to my Taycan the fit and finish is of course not in the same league but then I’m paying a lot lot more for my car. There have been issues affecting my family members Tesla S and 3, such as door handle won’t pop out, locked trunk , a door won’t open when button pressed and water leak in boot. But no breakdowns so far. I have to admit there is a lot of hate in the car community where I live namely because of the driving attitude of some of these owners. There are a lot of accidents that involve Teslas, and if I were to guess it’s likely the fault of the driver and not the car. But because performance has never been this cheap, some Tesla owners just drive like crazy here accelerating maximally at every opportunity. I personally have been at the receiving end of some Tesla driver antics, but again I stress it’s the drivers fault. This however makes me more aware if a Tesla is behind me and trying to over take me or if a Tesla is looking to speed across a junction because the driver thinks he or she can do it before me car arrives at the junction.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Taycan is an overkill for this. The quality of a Tesla Model 3/Y is way worse than their Hyundai/Kia counterpart.
Got a Kia garage at the end of the road. The demo car is a red EV6. The sales guy said he's told customers to meet him outside "by the red car" for a test drive and when he has got the key and gone to show them the EV6 they are waiting by my Taycan. He's had to bring them down gently. Happened more than once. The EV6 is a very good car. It's got all the features the Taycan has including cameras in the wing mirrors. Looks very well built. 12 month waiting list at that garage.

JonS1234

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Model S Plaid, Model X LR
Country flag
I
If you want a quality car for $150k plus. This is legit been my experience with tesla for the past few years since introducing the mass produced 3/y lines

As an owner of a fully loaded 2020 Taycan Turbo and a 2022 Model S Plaid I’ve got to say this video is BS. The trim squeaking may be real but the console test is total BS. I’d argue that the center console is much better built than the Taycan and a league better than the Lucid Air GT that I was cross shopping for the Model S.

I’ve got no issues with my Model S and it even squeaks much less when driving than my Taycan.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’d argue that the center console is much better built than the Taycan . . .
Really? I’m a fan of Tesla but this seems super hard to imagine. I’d take my Taycan back to the dealer and ask for the center console to be replaced if the center console on a Tesla is much better built than yours.

JonS1234

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Model S Plaid, Model X LR
Country flag
No kidding. You must have a lemon. After 5 Tesla (2 s one x and 2 3ps) and on my second Taycan the Porsche is next level quality.
It’s all a matter of personal perspective. I mentioned the model years as well because both sides have improved. 2020 was the first year for the Taycan and they have improved manufacturing gradually, same thing on the Tesla side. A 2015 Model S is no comparison for a 2022 Taycan or Model S.

Others have rattly Taycans though so I’m not alone.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/interior-rattles.11629/

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s all a matter of personal perspective. I mentioned the model years as well because both sides have improved. 2020 was the first year for the Taycan and they have improved manufacturing gradually, same thing on the Tesla side. A 2015 Model S is no comparison for a 2022 Taycan or Model S.

Others have rattly Taycans though so I’m not alone.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/interior-rattles.11629/
I’m not disputing your claim, but it’s not a matter of opinion. It is either more rattly than a Tesla or not. That is an issue of fact. If your Taycan is more rattly than a Tesla, take it back and demand a replacement. I’m being serious not argumentative or sarcastic

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I personally like the look of my model X. Especially with the wing doors open , :)
You must have your eyes closed, when you walk up from behind!

This forum is too pessimistic about Tesla's build quality. It is partially right for the model 3. But in my experience the build quality and the look of the X and S is fine.
Lucky you! 218 pages of owner "issues"

Official data: Over 10 Percent of Tesla Model S EVs Fail Germany’s Strict Inspection After 3 Years. That is at the bottom of the list and only compares to Dacia, a very cheap east European brand. And yes, it reflects my personal experience.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Apparently a lot of people.
A lot of people dress ugly, too, and most of them even know it.

Why they buy ugly? Most would love to have the money (market access) to buy beautiful. Sales numbers do not equate to preferred taste.
Sponsored