Try not to get a flat tire… backordered

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
I have a screw in my front tire (21”) and the tires are all on back order. Earliest I can get a new one is in 5 days….?
Sponsored

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Had to resort to a plugged P Zero Elect recently as my screw was way too close to the sidewall. Fun times.

OP
OP
Fedex77

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah the annoying thing is that there are very few tires in that size range, and Porsche sources from all 4 brands, so depending on your build you may end up with Pirelli, Goodyear, Continental (like me) or Michelin.

Pirelli and Goodyear have some stock of tires. Continental had a tire in Indiana that they are shipping (why Porsche does not overnight these tires is beyond me). Michelin has no tires available in the USA - so if anyone has a flat, good luck finding a matching new tire.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What's worse, if there is significant wear you will need at least two tires. If you have 4WD, you will be hit with the "conventional wisdom" that you need four tires or Porsche will invalidate your drivetrain warranty. While this may have made sense in ICE cars where the front and rear are connected through a drive shaft, with completely separate motors in the 4WD Taycans it does not make sense. The impact on handling though would be a completely different story...

I lucked into four Pirelli P4Z NF0-spec (Porsche approved) summer tires to replace the Conti all seasons (21" wheels). Well I say lucked in - bill was just over $2000...

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Did you try taking it to get patched not at a Porsche dealer?

I literally just had the same issue and it went right through my center front passenger tire on my Boxster. I took it to discount tire and they patched it for free. I'm glad it was dead center tire and could be patched, the guy there was telling me the Pirelli's had been on back order for month.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I was informed (verbally) by my dealer that as long as same axle tires have similar tread depth (under 15% difference), it is okay to change a single tire. You may have different tread depths on different axles, as there is no mechanical connection between them and there is also no diff to suffer accelerated wear. Due to three separate punctures, I had to change all four tires as they had only 2 or 3k kms. left before reaching the tread depth indicators, the first time. The second time I had to change my 2 rears as they had 50% percent thread left. The third time, I was able to change only one as it had only consumed 10% of the tread depth since new.

Last edited:

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I have a screw in my front tire (21”) and the tires are all on back order. Earliest I can get a new one is in 5 days….?
Lucky. I was told two weeks for my 20" rears (Pilot Sport 4s). Fortunately, I'm only losing a couple pounds of pressure a week from the nail, so I can manage.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I destroyed a front tire on Friday night. Luckily, the dealer I had the car towed to could find a tire. I was really worried, given there's none available on tirerack.com.

The service advisor said the distributor is requiring dealers to show a work order to get a tire to make sure noone is ordering them to put in inventory.

Since car was towed in Friday night, I'm not getting it back until today.

jimshadow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, DB9, 599, Denali, X1, Tiguan
Country flag
Starting to get low tread depth on my Contis. Was looking at Tire Rack and noticed their inventory was low so I Ordered. Glad that I did. I’ll likely need new tires by the time snow falls so <PHEW>!!!

OP
OP
Fedex77

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Starting to get low tread depth on my Contis. Was looking at Tire Rack and noticed their inventory was low so I Ordered. Glad that I did. I’ll likely need new tires by the time snow falls so <PHEW>!!!
how long did they last? I only have 1500 miles on mine

OP
OP
Fedex77

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you try taking it to get patched not at a Porsche dealer?

I literally just had the same issue and it went right through my center front passenger tire on my Boxster. I took it to discount tire and they patched it for free. I'm glad it was dead center tire and could be patched, the guy there was telling me the Pirelli's had been on back order for month.
If the tire was more than a week out I would patch it, but not a huge fan of doing so. I have the tire and wheel warranty so the tire replacement is covered anyways

VOLT4GE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
How many miles do you have on those? I also have Continentals on my 4S and I’m wondering how much mileage I can reasonably expect to get out of them.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What's worse, if there is significant wear you will need at least two tires. If you have 4WD, you will be hit with the "conventional wisdom" that you need four tires or Porsche will invalidate your drivetrain warranty. While this may have made sense in ICE cars where the front and rear are connected through a drive shaft, with completely separate motors in the 4WD Taycans it does not make sense. The impact on handling though would be a completely different story...

I lucked into four Pirelli P4Z NF0-spec (Porsche approved) summer tires to replace the Conti all seasons (21" wheels). Well I say lucked in - bill was just over $2000...
This makes no sense regardless of drivetrain - whoever is giving you that advice is really over reaching. 2 tires, yes, but all 4 tires needing to wear at the same rate or the warranty can get pulled...not a chance that happens.

The tires dont wear at the same rate so the logic doesn't hold. Porsche wouldn't void your warranty, especially if they know the law in the US that protects a consumer here (Magnusson Moss). Also, "Porsche approved" - what does that mean? Are you talking about weight code and tire size - if so, that would be reasonable, but they cant deny a brand as unacceptable that meets the engineering specs.

Are you using hyperbole, or do you have an example?

Last edited:

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Also, "Porsche approved" - what does that mean? Are you talking about weight code and tire size - if so, that would be reasonable, but they cant deny a brand as unacceptable that meets the engineering specs.

Are you using hyperbole, or do you have an example?
"NF0" tires are literally Porsche spec tires. Using other tires obviously can't void your car warranty, but Porsche is one of the brands that has their own tire specs.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=26

Climax_F82

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
22 Taycan
Country flag
Guys, DM me the tire size and brand you need. I'll check availability. Never heard of a tire taking 1 to 2 weeks . I've ordered taycan tires 20s and 21s. They usually arrive same day or longest 3 days. Michelin, conti, pirelli EV porsche tires. I keep a few in stock as well.
Sponsored