simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
but the site still needs to "allow" non-tesla's to charge - and that apparently varies by region as to which superchargers sites are "enabled" for non-Tesla's.
Yes - the approach is variable here by country. In the Netherlands it is all sites. Germany enabled/opened around half of SuC sites there literally overnight one day in March. I guess someone had a sudden desire to open a lot of them.

In the UK where the OP is - currently about 1/5 of total sites are open to non-Teslas; 24 out of around 117 sites or so and roughly 25% of totals stalls (265 out of 1100 odd)
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Tesla also recently lowered their prices per kWh and are now at least 10-20% cheaper compared to other networks without any subscription. With a subscription others will be 50% more expensive without any option to subscribe to get a lower price!

Great to see that there is a bit of competition coming to that market. The pricing models can be quite a nightmare in Sweden else. One Network here, charged me nearly twice the price compared to the Tesla price. And on top of that the 150 kW charger only delivered 48 kW

Tesla with subscription is about about 20% more expensive than Ionity prices with the Porsche Charge Card. So well worth looking into if you do a lot of longer trips or have no home charging. They also have worked very well for me.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
my suggestion is that govt's should word it as follows:

"if you're connected to and using the public electrical grid - the you must provide equal access to all road certified EV's for charging with out restrictions - if you're providing your own "closed" network for power and not connected to public infrastructure then you do not have to provide universal access and it can be left to business policy."

basically if you want to use electricity from "the grid" - then you must provide equal and unrestricted access

if you are installing your "own chargers" and powering them with your "own power supply" you can do what you want.

but I'm not a policy wonk - I'm an engineer.
Lol

Welcome to Portugal. You would love it 😁

But here it goes further "any publicly accessible charger regardless if on private ground must let charge any car with any energy provider" aka use the grid we all paid for? Then you have to let anyone charge

hhf2

First Name
Heiko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD PB
Country flag
Like most others here, I’ll echo that 30-230miles on a V2 Supercharger will take you whatever any regular old 150kw charger can give you. I haven’t tried the higher rate V3s yet.

To keep in mind; the Tesla SUCs are grouped. So if you connect to one already in use (2a 2b 2c etc), your charging speeds may vary.

you CAN charge at a regular rear-facing stall, but it might give you a little bump in the front plastic splitter when you hit the Tesla-Charging only sign 😄 Ah, the irony. 🤦‍♂️

The app and connect works flawlessly and Ionity would do well to just copy&paste whatever Elon did there (and only there!)

a lot of chargers have opened up here in Germany and Switzerland, which is great because they provide some genuinely gorgeous locations.

Hi. I assume some of you have used the tesla superchargers to charger your taycan. Can you confirm the approx time it takes to go from say 30 miles to 230miles. Can you also confirm how easy it is to do once you pull into the tesla charging bay and connect. How do you pay? Do you need an app etc?

Thanks Lewis
Porsche Taycan using tesla supercharging stations IMG_9970

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Like most others here, I’ll echo that 30-230miles on a V2 Supercharger will take you whatever any regular old 150kw charger can give you. I haven’t tried the higher rate V3s yet.
You’re not going to get more than 150kW out of a v3 in a Taycan (best case) so it’s going to behave more or less like a V2

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla with subscription is about about 20% more expensive than Ionity prices with the Porsche Charge Card. So well worth looking into if you do a lot of longer trips or have no home charging. They also have worked very well for me.
Elli (Drive Highway) will be more or less the same price as PCS at Ionity and superior if you charge at rip-off Porsche 350 kW garages as there’s no timed cost on the Elli.

hhf2

First Name
Heiko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD PB
Country flag
I think someone at Tesla decided to make a lot of money in light of sales not being what they should lately - that’s why so many are open now in Germany and Switzerland.

it’s pretty easy to use the app for it.

i wonder if Carplay automatically knows which Tesla SUCs are open to 3rd party brands 🤔

Yes - the approach is variable here by country. In the Netherlands it is all sites. Germany enabled/opened around half of SuC sites there literally overnight one day in March. I guess someone had a sudden desire to open a lot of them.

In the UK where the OP is - currently about 1/5 of total sites are open to non-Teslas; 24 out of around 117 sites or so and roughly 25% of totals stalls (265 out of 1100 odd)

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
i wonder if Carplay automatically knows which Tesla SUCs are open to 3rd party brands 🤔
If you charge route via Zap-Map using CarPlay you can filter for non-Tesla SuC sites. You can probably do a similar thing in ABRP or the like.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have used Tesla 3 times. Two V2
Chargers. First one just to try and I couldn’t park close enough and had to take two spots. Just 2 minutes to see if it would work.

second V2 150 Kw was last weekend. I preconditioned and was at 35% SoC. Still only had 66 Kw. No one parked next to me left and right. 4 Teslas charging total 10 chargers.

I used a v3 250 kw charger last winter and it gave a message charging was limited to 100 Kw by the charger. Not a big problem because we planned to have dinner anyway.

so from my experience charge speeds were not great at all. However both times I had used them because Ionity stations were too busy. From that point of view I was happy they were available. Connecting is fast and easy.

mjw930

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, ‘21 Ridgeline (modded)
Country flag
Do you need an adapter to plug into the Tesla S/c?
In the US the chargers opened up have a “Magic dock” installed to convert to CCS1, what we use in the US and Canada. In Europe and the UK Tesla had to use the standard CCS2 connector every other EV uses so no adapter required.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah, really. They moved the DC charging port because the steering wheel is on the other side ?
Weird. And Tesla did not move the charging port for RHD countries ?
Teslas port location is really only designed / driven by the Supercharger arrangement - which is globally consistent. Also the fact that Tesla tries to minimise complexity and reduce extraneous changes. They probably figured it would be OK.

On the other hand Porsche which has two charge port locations - possibly figured that a DC port on the right-side of a car in a RHD country would be sub-optimal for things like on street DC charging from the kerbside. So parking with the flow of the traffic on the left side of the road, the universal DC/AC port also on the left makes sense. Just as it does for LHD cars which would naturally park on the right side of the road.

laua

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, V60, CT4S incoming
Country flag
I’m pleasantly surprised to see Tesla superchargers with CCS support along the I90/I87 corridor from NYC to Canada. Combined with the relatively dense EA network in the area, I feel pretty good about making the trip to Canada. However, totally different story north of the border. Charging situation looks pretty atrocious.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
thank you very much - crikey thats a short cable!

hopw would I know if i have the 150kw charging option?
It is very short. So short you have to park in the bay on the right to use a charger situated on the left thereby hogging two bays unless you are at the end where you can park in the adjacent none Tesla bay. 20% to 80% takes about 90 mins at 50kw. It's slower but there's normally plenty of free bays at the one use.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
There’s a total of 24 sites open currently to the public in the UK.

Original 15 opened on 18/05/22

• Aberystwyth
  • Adderstone
  • Aviemore
  • Banbury
  • Birmingham St Andrews
  • Cardiff
  • Dundee
  • Flint
  • Folkestone Eurotunnel
  • Grays
  • Manchester Trafford Centre
  • Thetford
  • Trumpington
  • Uxbridge
  • Wokingham

Added later

• Heathrow T2 & 3 (opened non-Tesla 05/05/23)
  • Guildford (opened to non-Tesla 04/05/23)
  • Merry Hill (28/04/23)
  • Dorking (opened to non-Tesla 18/04/23)
  • Carmarthen (opened 21/02/23)
  • Harrogate (opened to non-Tesla Jan-Feb 2023)
  • Romford (site opened 22/02/22, opened to non-tesla Jan-Feb 2023)
  • Sidcup (site opened 25/09/22, opened to non-tesla Jan-Feb 2023)
  • Newport (opened 9/12/22)
I use Sidcup. It's 2 mins from the A20 so very useful if coming from Kent or going.
Sponsored