LewChappers

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Hi. I assume some of you have used the tesla superchargers to charger your taycan. Can you confirm the approx time it takes to go from say 30 miles to 230miles. Can you also confirm how easy it is to do once you pull into the tesla charging bay and connect. How do you pay? Do you need an app etc?

Thanks Lewis
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Yes I have done so multiple times.
You need to check that the SuC has chargers positioned “side ways” else the cable can be very short to reach the Taycan.

Secondly you need to have the 150 kW option for the charging in your Taycan to get up to 150 kW. Else you will be limited to 50 kW.

You do need to have the Tesla app to pay and register a payment card in the app. You will find the chargers under your account option “Charge your non Tesla”.

once you pull up at a SuC, identify the charger location on the map and choose the charger that is free and numbered like 2a, 3c, etc. . Simple plug your car in and tap the charger number and click start charging.

It will start very quickly to charge and is very similar to a normal 150 kW charger.

In my experience they have all worked superbly and never had any problems.

Porsche Taycan using tesla supercharging stations IMG_0313

OP
OP
LewChappers

LewChappers

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
thank you very much - crikey thats a short cable!

hopw would I know if i have the 150kw charging option?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Will be stated on your spec and invoice. You can also check with your service guy to get all the options by VIN number

mikezhang31

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

It’s an option that you have to tick on your options list when you built the car

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
1) To pay: it is easy. Just download the Tesla app. Register. Link to credit card. At the charger: choose the charger on the map. Select the specific charging station. Start charging.
2) To connect: before driving to a Tesla charger check in apps like Chargemap photo's of the charging location. You can check the orientation of the chargers. If they are 'next' to the parking spot, it is fine. If they are in front of the car and there is no high curb between the charger and the parking spot, it is fine. If they are at the front of the parking spot and there is a high curb between it, the cable is too short.
3) Charging speed: Maximum speed is 134 kw. I would count with an average of 120kw if you start low and go up to 75-80%. That translates to 10 to 14 minutes to charge 100km. I personally count that a charging stop at a good charger like ionity of fastned is 15-20min. At charging stop at Tesla is 25-30min.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
crikey thats a short cable!
Yep. Tesla chargeports are at the back, so a long cable isn't needed. Tesla will likely have longer cables on their newer chargers.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
Yep. Tesla chargeports are at the back, so a long cable isn't needed. Tesla will likely have longer cables on their newer chargers.
I have used Tesla Superchargers in New York state and they had several installed so that you could pull up to them on the SIDE..that made charging easy IF those are available..(otherwise you take two spots - a technique to be avoided if at all possible!)

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
This sounds great but of all the superchargers I have visited in Canada (mostly the Toronto GTA) none have the css (?) retrofit to accommodate other vehicles. Some of them do have the side mounted superchargers, allowing you to pull in vs back in, but I’ve never seen the universal plug (yet!) for non-Tesla cars.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
1) To pay: it is easy. Just download the Tesla app. Register. Link to credit card. At the charger: choose the charger on the map. Select the specific charging station. Start charging.
2) To connect: before driving to a Tesla charger check in apps like Chargemap photo's of the charging location. You can check the orientation of the chargers. If they are 'next' to the parking spot, it is fine. If they are in front of the car and there is no high curb between the charger and the parking spot, it is fine. If they are at the front of the parking spot and there is a high curb between it, the cable is too short.
3) Charging speed: Maximum speed is 134 kw. I would count with an average of 120kw if you start low and go up to 75-80%. That translates to 10 to 14 minutes to charge 100km. I personally count that a charging stop at a good charger like ionity of fastned is 15-20min. At charging stop at Tesla is 25-30min.
Do you need an adapter to plug into the Tesla S/c?

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Note the following:
  • Not all UK Tesla super chargers are ‘open’ to/for non Tesla’s
  • There are diff versions that have different charge speeds, V3 is the latest and they do not share load with the adjacent charger - V1, V2 share load I.e. x1 veh charging at a’‘ or ‘b’ = full rate charge inline with charger limits, if x2 charge, the load will be shared
  • Be aware that for a Taycan to charge at a Tesla super charger - you will take up x2 Tesla charge spots due to diff between charge port locations on the Taycan to Tesla

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
in north america (Canada, US, Mexico) - yes a physical adapter is required.

so far there are only 10-15 supercharger "sites" with the Tesla MagicDock adapter - so usage is limited - roll out goal is at least 20% of all tesla sites in US by end of 2024 to get Govt. grant money..

personally I think it should be mandated for universal access and Tesla can control congestion using that age old market force called "price control"…

we'll see how this goes - so far it's slow and inconsequential - I'm hoping that Tesla exceeds the 20% manadate, but I'm not optimistic.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
in north america (Canada, US, Mexico) - yes an adapter is required.

so far there are only 10-15 supercharger "sites" with the Tesla MagicDock adapter - so usage is limited - roll out goal is at least 20% of all tesla sites in US by end of 2024 to get Govt. grant money..

we'll see.
we are lucky in UK - no need for adaptor on the limited Tesla sites that a Taycan can charge

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Not in Europe. It is all CCS.

(You do need an adapter for pre-2017 model S/X to plug into CCS chargers. But that's another story.)

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
Note the following:
  • Not all UK Tesla super chargers are ‘open’ to/for non Tesla’s
  • There are diff versions that have different charge speeds, V3 is the latest and they do not share load with the adjacent charger - V1, V2 share load I.e. x1 veh charging at a’‘ or ‘b’ = full rate charge inline with charger limits, if x2 charge, the load will be shared
  • Be aware that for a Taycan to charge at a Tesla super charger - you will take up x2 Tesla charge spots due to diff between charge port locations on the Taycan to Tesla
Is there a map of the open superchargers?
Sponsored