TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why doesn't this car have an automatic driving mode? The computer is quite capable to modifying many parameters in milliseconds.
If I am driving sedately it should automatically use the lower power modes (like Range supposedly does).
If I moderately use the accelerator it should configure itself to a more aggressive setup, and so on.
Then when I relax go back to a "softer" setup. Sure keep the manual modes as they are today. Of course the real issue is that Porsche is not
a software company and they are to conservative and analog/hardware centric old school.

Spoiler control:
1. If the spoiler helps aero, why doesn't it ever deploy in Normal drive mode?
2. If it helps grip in a different position on Sport, why doesn't it deploy in other modes if user is accelerating or driving over a certain speed?
3. Does it deploy in hard/emergency braking? It should.

Range mode:
1. If I hit the maximum speed (mine set to 85Mph), and I continue to mash the accelerator for more than 3 seconds it should reconfigure to normal or sport mode!

Why isn't there a mode that the car drives in front wheel drive only? Using the smaller motor by itself should in theory get better mileage.
This would also help to balance the normal rear drive wearing of the rear tires more quickly so the front and rears wear more similarly.
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Why isn't there a mode that the car drives in front wheel drive only? Using the smaller motor by itself should in theory get better mileage.
Range mode is front wheel drive only on car's with all wheel drive. It does use rear motor in range mode when pulling off (to reduce torque steer) but once moving the rear motor is deactivated. Its one of the main "features" of range mode.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Why doesn't this car have an automatic driving mode? The computer is quite capable to modifying many parameters in milliseconds.
If I am driving sedately it should automatically use the lower power modes (like Range supposedly does).
If I moderately use the accelerator it should configure itself to a more aggressive setup, and so on.
Then when I relax go back to a "softer" setup. Sure keep the manual modes as they are today. Of course the real issue is that Porsche is not
a software company and they are to conservative and analog/hardware centric old school.

Spoiler control:
1. If the spoiler helps aero, why doesn't it ever deploy in Normal drive mode?
2. If it helps grip in a different position on Sport, why doesn't it deploy in other modes if user is accelerating or driving over a certain speed?
3. Does it deploy in hard/emergency braking? It should.

Range mode:
1. If I hit the maximum speed (mine set to 85Mph), and I continue to mash the accelerator for more than 3 seconds it should reconfigure to normal or sport mode!

This would also help to balance the normal rear drive wearing of the rear tires more quickly so the front and rears wear more similarly.
you "wishes" you have could be implemented but at what cost?
both monetary and capability wise.
the car would need more/bigger processors adding weight.
I think that you answered your own remarks with "porsche" is not a software company.

OP
OP
TayTaySD

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Range mode is front wheel drive only on car's with all wheel drive. It does use rear motor in range mode when pulling off (to reduce torque steer) but once moving the rear motor is deactivated. Its one of the main "features" of range mode.
Great, where is this information? It isn't in the manual.

This brings me to another improvement. The "Power" screen should have two arcs, one showing status of front motor and second one showing status of rear motor. Make the arcs different size since the two motors are different size and thus pulling different currents at different times.
Also shows recuperation is likely different for the two motors. Of course make this configurable
so the average user might select the less busy display of two arcs and just use the combined display as shown today.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I agree. I know BMW and other vehicles that have different modes also now tend to have an "auto" setting. Land Rover has it as well as part of their terrain response system. Surely Porsche can figure this out.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I'm sorry but while reading I thought this was a joke / troll post...

"Then when I relax to go softer". You want the car do auto guess your mood of driving. Again I'm sorry but I have no idea what you are looking for. Sounds more like you need a taxi and not a car.

Spoiler
1. "The adaptive rear spoiler and adjustable cool air intakes will adjust to improve dynamic driving. The spoiler will extend at 56 miles per hours, 99 mph, and 124 mph. This feature takes the Taycan from an electric vehicle to a sports car." This is for dynamic and not efficient driving.
3. This is not a McLaren. I don't think while breaking the Taycan spoiler would do any noteworthy improvements.

Range
1. That might be something they could add. Could be useful. A little movement with your hand towards the mode switch would be a lot quicker than waiting 3 full seconds on full throttle...

Other points were already answered as they are already in the car. All I can add to the "double bars" in the power screeen: why add more and more details to that screen? Do you really need to know that while driving? Reading tiny letters in front of you while driving, I don't think thats smart. The general power bar is more than enough.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Of course the real issue is that Porsche is not a software company and they are to conservative and analog/hardware centric old school.
Yep, of course the real issue is that Porsche builds cars to be driven by the driver, not ipads on wheels.

I, as well, assumed you're trolling. And still do.
If not - I might be getting to old for this.
This forum has changed -a lot- in the last 3-6 months.

OP
OP
TayTaySD

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tigerbalm: thanks for that info, I had not played with that screen. Yes the "All wheel drive" information is interesting to see the engine mapping. I still wish they would integrate that into a sort of "Advanced Power" screen mode for the "power" display. Since they have the data, as a software engineer that is less than a man-week to code & unit test to add to a different display.

Kreshi: Where did you find the spoiler information, it isn't in my PDF manual? Driving in range mode I have never seen the spoiler display "up" on the central screen that it was deployed. The computer knows what "mood" I am in by my application of the accelerator, brake pedal, steering wheel, G-meter, tire slip, wheel angel and probably 10 other sensors. That is how the stability control system already works today. The computer knows all of this information already. If I floor that accelerator, guess what driving mode and car setup I want?
Leave the manual select modes as done today. I happen to believe the computers in the car can do many, many things MUCH better than I can. I have raced my Corvette at the track. I learned early on to leave all the electronic stability systems on because the computers can control the car far better than I can, and 99.9% of drivers. No I haven't purchased manual transmission cars for 30 years. My point about the spoiler is, it can already do these things, it takes 5 lines of software to do them in a few different situations (like hard braking).

I'm all for display modes that go from very basic information, to lots of data, allow the user to decide. This is after all a performance car. I don't need all this information on my mini-van.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I know exactly what the OP means.
Auto is like a mode where the car decides if it should use Normal or Sport based on your current driving style. For example, if it detects you are accelerating hard or taking fast turns, then it makes throttle more responsive and tightens up the suspension. Then once you drive on constant speed on a a highway it goes back to softer settings.
In BMW that is actually the setting I used to drive and it did a good job and saved me from manually switching between Normal and Sport multiple times while driving.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TayTaySD

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yep, of course the real issue is that Porsche builds cars to be driven by the driver, not ipads on wheels.

I, as well, assumed you're trolling. And still do.
If not - I might be getting to old for this.
This forum has changed -a lot- in the last 3-6 months.
I'm 59, this is my first Porsche, I'm a retired software engineer, no I have never owned Teslas (I do own Tesla stock). Yes I own Bitcoin, dabbled on GME stock, so definitely not that "average" Porsche owner.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I'm 59, this is my first Porsche, I'm a retired software engineer,
and therein is the problem :D

as others noted the porsche is a sports car that they've been able to add electric propulsion to. maybe a tesla with all it's gizmos would more suited to a techie like you

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
37, First P as well, Active SW engineer, Never owned T, Never owned BC, never owned GME.
We're pretty similar, deduct 2 decades and investments. All good, brother.

I fully agree P can improve, *easily*, on the software-side of things.

OP
OP
TayTaySD

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
and therein is the problem :D

as others noted the porsche is a sports car that they've been able to add electric propulsion to. maybe a tesla with all it's gizmos would more suited to a techie like you
I don't want to get into a flame war. I'm curious, where do you draw the line at for useless "gizmos"? Anti lock brakes, stability control, automatic transmission, automatic spoiler, automatic shocks...?

The Taycan is drive by wire, accelerate by wire, steer by wire, brake by wire, automatic headlights, automatic climate control, sophisticate charging, Apple car play, guidance systems, the list of "gizmos" goes on and on. Most car manufacturers don't even make manual transmission cars anymore.

We all have our definition of what a "Sports" car is. I would love P to accelerate faster into the
digital era. I would LOVE to fully configure my car via an APP(I would run it on a PC because even my huge Apple phone is hard to use...). How about unlocking using facial recognition, or even
my phone? I've been using home automation for more than 30 years, so yes I would like to see that brought into cars. Just wait until AR is integrated into our cars...

OP
OP
TayTaySD

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe we can agree on what to call this more advanced display and driving modes?

- Teen Mode
- Engineer Mode
- Geek Mode
- Porsche Car Play mode
- Fighter Pilot mode
- ???
Sponsored