Week 2 : Electrical System Fault- park safely

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Hi Archimedes, quoted range for performance battery by Porsche from the website is
Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 08.01.01.png

My question is has anyone achieved this or even close to this as in the 2 weeks i had the car it never indicated anything more than 210 miles in range mode. Taking account of cold weather (say -20%) it should say 254 miles.... I have an electric yacht and the slower you go the further you go (massive difference). I was wondering if I have a defective battery and thats why the question. I'm looking forward to getting the car back from the garage and driving really slow zzz to see how far I can get. I realise its completely un Porsche like and it should be driven as though you have just stolen it ;)
Google "EV hypermiling techniques" if you want to really push it. Also check out threads like this:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...s-610-km-single-charge-non-stop-driving.1240/

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
To be clear I am referring to the battery remaining range at your destination.

Typically this fluctuates a percent or two from the original estimate assuming you keep to the speed limits on your journey.

NAV continually calculates SOC as you progress and typically you can end up with a few percent more rather than less.
This is exactly what I’m talking about, just with different result. For example, car is fully charged, says range 200 miles. I need to go 150 miles, so I should have 50 miles or 25% charge left at the end. I plug the route into the NAV and my range estimate immediately drops to 175 miles and my SOC % at destination estimate reads only 14%. Then as I drive, the actual use is accurate to the original estimate and I arrive with 50 mile range left and 25% state of charge. This happened to me repeatedly on my recent trip. The NAV use rendered my range and SOC at destination estimates totally wrong.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This is exactly what I’m talking about, just with different result. For example, car is fully charged, says range 200 miles. I need to go 150 miles, so I should have 50 miles or 25% charge left at the end. I plug the route into the NAV and my range estimate immediately drops to 175 miles and my SOC % at destination estimate reads only 14%. Then as I drive, the actual use is accurate to the original estimate and I arrive with 50 mile range left and 25% state of charge. This happened to me repeatedly on my recent trip. The NAV use rendered my range and SOC at destination estimates totally wrong.
Ok so that is most odd.

Firstly, the total range shouldn't alter. In 2 years I've never witnessed this.

Secondly, depending on routing, speed (slower or faster than national limits) and drive mode the range remaining will alter.

Do you have the Charging Planner active? What is the minimum SOC set for arrival at your destination?

Feels like a software bug. As an aside but possibly related I charged my car at the weekend at home to 85% and had 185 miles of range reported. I didn't use the car all day but the following morning the battery had gained 10 miles and was reporting 195 miles (same ambient temp).

I tend to ignore the estimate these days.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Interesting that in your situation they're replacing just the faulty cell and in mine they're replacing the whole battery. Sounds like identical issues.
I posted a poll in the FB group and it seems most of the red electrical error repairs were the HV Charger or a cell and not the battery. Personally, I would rather they replace the whole battery. I think the whole battery takes a day to do (From other members info) and the cell takes 3 days. And my dealer has done 1 (one). Thus the need for the regional rep to be flown in to help.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Ok so that is most odd.

Firstly, the total range shouldn't alter. In 2 years I've never witnessed this.

Secondly, depending on routing, speed (slower or faster than national limits) and drive mode the range remaining will alter.

Do you have the Charging Planner active? What is the minimum SOC set for arrival at your destination?

Feels like a software bug. As an aside but possibly related I charged my car at the weekend at home to 85% and had 185 miles of range reported. I didn't use the car all day but the following morning the battery had gained 10 miles and was reporting 195 miles (same ambient temp).

I tend to ignore the estimate these days.
Rather, ICE cars have been doing this...FOREVER. Range always alters - thanks to your driving patterns as the baseline. Fill up your tank and have been doing nothing but city and DTE will be small in comparison to long haul driving as its basis for the calc.

This seems to be well understood for ICE vehicles, but for some reason electric cars are introduced and everyone expects this calc to be linear.

I think of it as an 'educated guess' based on the input factors. I don't see it as a bug or an indicator that my battery is somehow taking in less energy.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Rather, ICE cars have been doing this...FOREVER. Range always alters - thanks to your driving patterns as the baseline. Fill up your tank and have been doing nothing but city and DTE will be small in comparison to long haul driving as its basis for the calc.

This seems to be well understood for ICE vehicles, but for some reason electric cars are introduced and everyone expects this calc to be linear.

I think of it as an 'educated guess' based on the input factors. I don't see it as a bug or an indicator that my battery is somehow taking in less energy.
I think we understand that but this is a different issue and the range should not alter from standstill after putting in a destination - that's what's odd - it should be the same starting point and before a wheel has turned.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think we understand that but this is a different issue and the range should not alter from standstill after putting in a destination - that's what's odd - it should be the same starting point and before a wheel has turned.
Depending on how advanced the calc is in factoring variables. If it's only doing that when entering a destination, wouldn't it just be accounting for terrain and traffic and the additional variables and then adjusting accordingly?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Depending on how advanced the calc is in factoring variables. If it's only doing that when entering a destination, wouldn't it just be accounting for terrain and traffic and the additional variables and then adjusting accordingly?
The point is that the only thing that changes is the battery SOC at the destination and therefore the range.

In two years+ of ownership my range estimate at the START of a journey does not alter on the basis that I use NAV or not. It remains exactly the same. That would be / is completely nuts.

NAV will take ambient, altitude, speed limits and possibly traffic into consideration to calculate SOC at the end of a journey and whether you need to charge en route (Charging Planner) or not to maintain your preset SOC at journey's end.

RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
I posted a poll in the FB group and it seems most of the red electrical error repairs were the HV Charger or a cell and not the battery. Personally, I would rather they replace the whole battery. I think the whole battery takes a day to do (From other members info) and the cell takes 3 days. And my dealer has done 1 (one). Thus the need for the regional rep to be flown in to help.
@PDACPA have you gotten any further updates on when the parts will arrive and the repair completed? I was just told that there are 18 cars in the US waiting on HV batteries from Germany and I'm number 19, meaning I'm looking at multiple months before my Taycan is repaired. Not happy.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@PDACPA have you gotten any further updates on when the parts will arrive and the repair completed? I was just told that there are 18 cars in the US waiting on HV batteries from Germany and I'm number 19, meaning I'm looking at multiple months before my Taycan is repaired. Not happy.

I have a case open at Porsche NA as this is unacceptable that I am down almost a month, and if they meet their repair deadline, could be 6 weeks for a brand new car. They had advised me last Friday that the parts were arriving 2/22/2023 (and the dealer did the same). However, the dealer said 1 part was missing and on my call today with Porsche NA, she said that part was still not in inventory. They are not replacing my entire battery. They claim there is a bad HV cell and going to replace it. That is my issue. I would rather they replace the battery than crack it open and fix a cell and put it back together. The dealer has done it 1 time. They are flying a field tech in to assist. Not confidence inspiring.

Do you have a case open with PCNA?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I have a case open at Porsche NA as this is unacceptable that I am down almost a month, and if they meet their repair deadline, could be 6 weeks for a brand new car. They had advised me last Friday that the parts were arriving 2/22/2023 (and the dealer did the same). However, the dealer said 1 part was missing and on my call today with Porsche NA, she said that part was still not in inventory. They are not replacing my entire battery. They claim there is a bad HV cell and going to replace it. That is my issue. I would rather they replace the battery than crack it open and fix a cell and put it back together. The dealer has done it 1 time. They are flying a field tech in to assist. Not confidence inspiring.

Do you have a case open with PCNA?
Personally I’d be ok with them replacing the bad cell(s). The battery is designed to be opened and serviced in this way.

If your TV remote went dead, you’d crack it open and swap in two new cells, right?

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Personally I’d be ok with them replacing the bad cell(s). The battery is designed to be opened and serviced in this way.

If your TV remote went dead, you’d crack it open and swap in two new cells, right?
Thanks for that information @DerekS. I did not know that it was designed to be opened and bad cells replaced. The dealer made a big deal about having only done it one time and they had to fly a regional rep in to do the repair. That will definitely change my thinking about how I proceed with Porsche NA.

Last edited: