What does how you hold the steering wheel say about you?

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
https://blog.greenflag.com/2020/how-you-hold-steering-wheel/

Around the London area at least, the young-ish men with Land Rovers and similar vehicles are almost exclusively No. 5 “The Cool Dude”.

The rest and in particular those in sports cars + mothers in SUVs tend to consistently be No. 1 and No. 3 with both hands in the correct positions.

Driving around a Mini Cooper with a big steering wheel over a recent Spain trip, I have to concede that it’s easier to get into No. 5 mood in that type of toot toot beep beep car. Would find the position very awkward on Taycan though.

Share your local observations!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
https://blog.greenflag.com/2020/how-you-hold-steering-wheel/

Around the London area at least, the young-ish men with Land Rovers and similar vehicles are almost exclusively No. 5 “The Cool Dude”.

The rest and in particular those in sports cars + mothers in SUVs tend to consistently be No. 1 and No. 3 with both hands in the correct positions.

Driving around a Mini Cooper with a big steering wheel over a recent Spain trip, I have to concede that it’s easier to get into No. 5 mood in that type of toot toot beep beep car. Would find the position very awkward on Taycan though.

Share your local observations!
#1 Exclusively for me - no matter what type of car I drive. In my much younger days I attended 10-12 Drivers Ed events per year and instructed at all of them. First thing that we went over in the pre-track class was hand position on the steering wheel, and as an instructor I repeated it to every student, and watched their hand position as they drove the course. Just got so ingrained with the 10/2 position it just comes naturally. Also..................at least on a Porsche the steering wheel has either indentations or lumps where your hands are supposed to go!🤪

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I usually drive with #2 for just going from point A to B. #1 when I want to actually feel more engaged.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
Always positioned like #8, without the death grip. Thumbs in contact with the spoke. About 9:30 & 2:30 on the Taycan.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I can't seem to stop myself defaulting to #2 (with my other hand joining in as required for tighter turns) when just tootling around, but I always switch to #1 when conditions are conducive to pushing on (I was pleased that my Porsche race instructor found that variation acceptable).

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
That's funny, I move all around the first few, but mostly 10/2. But one is missing... I went on a date with a guy a gazillion years ago and I'll never forget the way he held the steering wheel. I didn't even drive yet at the time (NYC) but it freaked me out. He had both hands next to each other at 6 o'clock. Always, turning, cruising, parking, everything. I was happy to go out with someone who had a car, but I could not take my eyes off the wheel. There wasn't a second date hahah.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Where’s the one where I’m driving with my knee because I have a cheeseburger in one hand and a taco in the other? (I like variety)

OP
OP

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
With InnoDrive cruising on a well-marked highway you can eat the cheeseburger and only press the wheel every ten-fifteen seconds until you’re done with your meal;)

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Where’s the one where I’m driving with my knee because I have a cheeseburger in one hand and a taco in the other? (I like variety)
You'll find that one in the Taycan handbook, in the section about the under-armrest storage compartment.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
You'll find that one in the Taycan handbook, in the section about the under-armrest storage compartment.
Oh, like general driving tips during two-hand tasks? Porche is always thinking…

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Evidently I have an n-polar personality, because I’m both “antisocial” and “fun to be around”; also, I do “see the big picture” but cross my t’s and dot my i’s. This is fascinating, especially since all it takes is to change the position of my hands on the steering wheel.

I am worried, though, about what some of my invented placements say about me - no idea what’s a “supporter boss”, or a “cool diplomat dude”. Maybe I should consider window tinting.

OP
OP

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Evidently I have an n-polar personality, because I’m both “antisocial” and “fun to be around”; also, I do “see the big picture” but cross my t’s and dot my i’s. This is fascinating, especially since all it takes is to change the position of my hands on the steering wheel.

I am worried, though, about what some of my invented placements say about me - no idea what’s a “supporter boss”, or a “cool diplomat dude”. Maybe I should consider window tinting.
Well, your in trouble then;) This Green Flag article is based on some pretty hard science backed by a large data sample, then analysed by a prominent panel of behavioural scientists all stemming from Ivy League colleges.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
normal highway driving, #2
more intense driving, curves, higher speeds #1
I'd never consider the other options

OP
OP

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Realized that I often default to #2 during relaxed cruising, didn't think of it until now! During more active driving and at higher speeds exclusively #1.

kl98cwg

First Name
DF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
#1, Perfectionist … isn’t that what all Porsche drivers strive for?! 🤣
Sponsored