Mikegrr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sl550, corvette c7
Country flag
I have a new build starting in February. I can still add the option for a HUD. Is this a good option? It’s not cheap at $1850. I have one on my Corvette, and I really like it but that also is a tachometer.
‘what are your experiences? I also plan on using Appleplay and Waze if I need directions so that wouldn’t show on A HUD.
Sponsored

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
I personally like it, but I find if you configure the extra dials, it can become distracting so I use it in the minimal (single stripe) mode. The most useful info i find is my speed and current speed limit. I don't tend to look at the IC for this bit. If I had to pay extra for this specific option, I suppose I'd skip it. I would take it if it is thrown-in as part of a package though (which it was for my build).

Is it necessary? no. The dash looks a bit cleaner without it too, so if a more classic (and I suppose more timeless) look is more important to you, just skip it - you won't miss much.

See here for some nice pics and further discussion: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/pic-of-head-up-display-hud-wireless-carplay-charging.2817

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have a new build starting in February. I can still add the option for a HUD. Is this a good option? It’s not cheap at $1850. I have one on my Corvette, and I really like it but that also is a tachometer.
‘what are your experiences? I also plan on using Appleplay and Waze if I need directions so that wouldn’t show on A HUD.
Try before you buy.

Personally I would skip it and an unnecessary gimmick - digital cockpit is great do don't spoil it with a pointless add on.

Others are sure to disagree so try a test drive to make your own informed decision.

OP
OP

Mikegrr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sl550, corvette c7
Country flag
The polarized sunglasses bit about blocking the HUD has really put me off it. The pictures weren’t very impressive either, imo.
Also thanks for the link to a previous thread. There are so many different opinions

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I’d skip it even if it would be free of charge.
I’m not strictly against HUD (in EQS looks great, btw), but imo, it doesn’t bring any additional value to me (not even mention problems with sun-glasses).

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Poorly implented on the porsche. I have a 6 year BMW and the HUD is much better.

I find the porsche HUD to be too distracting, position is too high and its always either too bright or barely visible, especially if there is a white car in front of you.

It's become a glorified speedo for me... One of the few options I truly regret.

Ps. Yes the brightness and height can be adjusted somewhat, not enough to overcome the poor implementation

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I have a HUD in my current car but don't look at it much so I wasn't prepared to pay extra to have it on my Taycan.
With the low seating position the dash display is very close to eyeline anyway.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I always thought HUDs were a gimmick but have come to appreciate it in my wife's e-Tron where it was standard with the Prestige package. Unfortunately, it is useless when wearing polarized sunglasses, so for that reason (and the $1850) I skipped it in the Taycan.

Vfr750Rouge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4 / Cayenne / Jeep Wrangler Willys
Country flag
Like it, with minimum information on it, Speed and speed limits.
Visibility is ok.
What Like the bonnet it add on the top of the driver display, I do not really like the look without seems something is missing.
I know a very expensive bonnet....

BluBaby

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have the HUD and I like it. Better than BMW's version of HUD and yes I wear polarized sunglasses but its awesome at night.

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Tried it on the dealer's car, didn't order it on mine. Replicates a lot of info that is right there behind the steering wheel. Also I couldn't quite focus my eyes on it properly... didn't have such problems with my 4-series, maybe I'm getting old though :movember:

Quick side-by-side of the dash without and with hud.

Porsche Taycan What is your opinion of the HUD option? 1F67C539-22D4-4058-B0D2-1AA526669503-COLLAGE

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have it on my Taycan and frankly if I were to order another Taycan, I’d probably skip it. It‘s OK, but minimal in its utility and informational relevance and frankly overpriced like many of Porsche’s options.

However, my favorite feature of the HUD is that I use it to “target“ my entry into my all too tight garage as my wife takes her half out of the middle with her Audi.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
I added it. Had one for the first time in my previous iPace. As others have noted, it’s mainly a glorified speedo but it really helped me keep my license….seeing speed without even a cursory glance down was ideal (and that thing was fast too). Cost to my insurance will be way more than the HUD if not careful, particularly in an even faster Turbo.

makados

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 BMW X5 45e, 2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have the HUD and I like it. Better than BMW's version of HUD and yes I wear polarized sunglasses but its awesome at night.
what do you think is better than on BMW? I have HUD on my X5 and it shows directions from CarPlay navigation apps, and it shows actual map for in-car navigation, like it does on the dashboard.

I didn’t spec HUD on my Taycan because, as far as I know, it doesn’t have that kind of convenient features, and is quite expensive for a regular HUD
Sponsored