Which service add ons are worth buying?

rjdoc74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT, Tesla MX P100D
Country flag
I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my CT4 hopefully in a week of two. This is my first Porsche, I am coming from a long line of Mercedes and Tesla vehicles. I'd appreciate some advice on what service add ons are worth getting? Wheel and tire coverage? Extended maintenance agreement? With Mercedes, I'd always shop around and usually got the best price from an out-of-state dealer (I am in CA). How do I get the best deal on these?

I am planning to keep the car for 4 years if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I never buy any of it. If something happens, I’ll pay at that time.

But you have to be okay with paying later when/if the time comes.

There’s a possibility of a cost in the future.

But there’s a guaranteed cost if you buy it now.

OP
OP

rjdoc74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I am normally the same way, but I read that Taycans are magnets for tire punctures and rim damage (I am almost certain of that in my case since the wife will be driving it ha ha). So it may be prudent to buy coverage to is time.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In general, the standard Porsche warranty for new cars is great for BEV. The tire and wheel package … I have terrible tire luck so I got it. Ymmv

OP
OP

rjdoc74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In general, the standard Porsche warranty for new cars is great for BEV. The tire and wheel package … I have terrible tire luck so I got it. Ymmv
I think I’ll get it too. Just want to get it at the best price :)))

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

Pretty much my approach - only buy catastrophic insurance (i.e. for things you simply cannot afford to cover) and even then max out deductibles if it sufficiently lowers premiums. Insurance companies make money on every insurance, so why not make the money myself, again, as long as the payout does not significantly affect my life. Over the years, I know I've come up way ahead of any extended warranties, protection plans, etc, even though I did have to pay for a new tire once, and replace a couple of batteries in some electronic devices (though I should mention that a lot of the coverage plans to electronics have gotten wiser over time and they either don't cover batteries at all, such as most laptops, or have a deductible which essentially covers the new battery). Sometimes the pre-paid maintenance is worth while, but you really have to look at the details to know (there is an amazing number of tricks dealers use to make those look more attractive than they really are).

In the end, look at coverages, deductible, and your needs, then do the math - only buy if it's worth it. Math/stats is your friend here (and also the answer to the age old question kids in math class tend to ask their teachers "when am I ever going to need this?" ;) ).

Vfr750Rouge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4 / Cayenne / Jeep Wrangler Willys
Country flag
I got the wheels and tires insurance. i have the car for 11 moths now… and 4 new tires changed for ponctuations - worth it ! 50$ deductible.

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
2020 Turbo. I got the tire and wheel Coverage. Not cheap. I think $3000. But I curbed the two passenger side rims going through a bank drive through and they were repaired perfectly. Although I guess its only about $150/wheel retail.
Also had nails in two rear tires. Porsche won't let you repair so they replaced at no cost. $500 each.
It's still easier to have the coverage. Hard to get tires.

electricsidecar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
electricsidecar.app
Vehicles
Volcano Gray Taycan 2022
Country flag
2020 Turbo. I got the tire and wheel Coverage. Not cheap. I think $3000. But I curbed the two passenger side rims going through a bank drive through and they were repaired perfectly. Although I guess its only about $150/wheel retail.
Also had nails in two rear tires. Porsche won't let you repair so they replaced at no cost. $500 each.
It's still easier to have the coverage. Hard to get tires.
To confirm, does the tire & wheel coverage cover curbing repair? I just took a small chunk out of the corner of my rear tire rim on a curb leaving a parking complex and am hoping I can get it fixed...

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
To confirm, does the tire & wheel coverage cover curbing repair? I just took a small chunk out of the corner of my rear tire rim on a curb leaving a parking complex and am hoping I can get it fixed...
Mine did here in Arizona. Can anyone from California confirm for @featherless ?

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
You will absolutely scragg the rims multiple times parallel parking on the road. If you don't know a wheel guy, get the insurance. Then if the guy the insurance co sends is good, get his details and use him when the insurance runs out.

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
Yes, the coverage includes repair for any wheel damage and even replacing a wheel if it can’t be repaired.
The techs are amazing at repairs.

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I bought wheel and tire coverage. We don't have the best roads here in Toronto and with my luck I always either get a flat or curb rash my wheels. It was like $3000 for 5 years. Worth it to me.
Sponsored