Why is launch control superior to simply smashing one's foot on the accelerator?

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 Turbo S, 2021 TTS (June 11)
Country flag
2021 Taycan Turbo S scheduled for June 4, 2021 delivery.

Consider two hosers of identical weight sitting in two identically spec'd TTSs, sitting at a stoplight prepared for a race, and when the light turns green, hoser #1 uses launch control while hoser #2 simply smashes his foot down on the accelerator. Hoser #1 presumably will win the race. But why? What is it about going through the launch control ritual that gives an extra boost of performance? Why not just design the car so that available horsepower is the same regardless of whether or not the proper launch control ritual was followed by the driver?
Sponsored

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
With a Model S, it preheats the battery, changes the stance, etc. With a Taycan, who knows, I suspect it's a marketing thing to parallel ICE vehicles. But maybe there actually is something technical like charging up a (flux) capacitor. I really wish someone would ask someone at Porsche and get the real reason why we can't use "overboost" at passing speeds, which is when it would actually be useful in real life.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This is most of the reason I didn't fork over the extra $$$ for a Turbo S - the available torque and HP are the same except in Overboost which is only available from launch control. I definitely think it's just a software limit.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I believe the turbo S has a larger inverter in the rear in addition to the larger motor shared with the Turbo. Launch mode allows the inverter to use max power. I suspect the car can’t cool fast enough to allow for prolonged use of max power ... hence, launch mode.

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
I believe the turbo S has a larger inverter in the rear in addition to the larger motor shared with the Turbo. Launch mode allows the inverter to use max power. I suspect the car can’t cool fast enough to allow for prolonged use of max power ... hence, launch mode.
So the inverter is the ”flux capacitor?” It would be better to have the boost on the dial like the other Porsche’s that have sport chrono so we can have the HP when we need it not when we just want to bring up our lunch.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So the inverter is the ”flux capacitor?” It would be better to have the boost on the dial like the other Porsche’s that have sport chrono so we can have the HP when we need it not when we just want to bring up our lunch.
How often would 3 seconds of extra boost be helpful outside of a launch when you would need ~30 seconds to cool?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Likely it's something that's also hard on the batteries, and therefore they want to make it more effort to use. (And usage is probably tracked, like other Porsches)

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
It engages software calibration for traction & stability control to optimize launch that isn't the same as mashing the accelerator at speed.

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I assume the Turbo has the same components that undergo the stress as a Turbo S when doing a launch control. Also the battery capacity of both are the same. The motor is the only difference.

It's plausible that a Turbo S reduces the horsepower to spare drivetrain, battery etc. when performing a launch control because the car is not really equipped to handle this much power all the time.. This is a different story with the Turbo; why does the power needs to be reduced? All the components are already sufficient for this horsepower, because it's roughly equal to the standard power a Turbo S deliveres.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I assume the Turbo has the same components that undergo the stress as a Turbo S when doing a launch control. Also the battery capacity of both are the same. The motor is the only difference.

It's plausible that a Turbo S reduces the horsepower to spare drivetrain, battery etc. when performing a launch control because the car is not really equipped to handle this much power all the time.. This is a different story with the Turbo; why does the power needs to be reduced? All the components are already sufficient for this horsepower, because it's roughly equal to the standard power a Turbo S deliveres.
The front inverter is different between the Turbo and TS. 300A vs 600A. Same motor.

Perhaps a combination of marketing and as we said, reducing every day stress. ICE cars have it.. prior Porsche owners may expect it.
Sponsored

Last edited: