Will not take more than 150kW. Is something wrong with the battery?

Vikram

First Name
Vikram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hello,

I have a 2022 Tycan 4s with the larger battery. I dont often take it to a DC fast charger but in the past when I have charged it at a 350kW Electrify American charger, the car has taken 270kW in the beginning as expected. However, recently I have tried 4 different 350kW chargers (Electrify America, Electrify Canada and the local Porsche dealer with a 350kW charger) and the car refuses to take anything more than 150kW. When it reaches 50%, it abruptly drops to 100kW. Since I live in Boston and it is winter, I have made sure the battery is preheated and even when it is heated to 85.F / ~30.C, the car will not take more than 150kW. Has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering if something is wrong with the car. / battery and if I need to have it checked by the dealer.

Thanks!
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
there is no way to tell without logs from the EA stations

even money bet EA was throttling the charger and it has nothing to do with your battery - the 350 kW rating on the EA stations are "aspirational" not a "guarenteed"

there are _TON_ for factors involved charging speed - and none of them are controlled by the driver of the vehicle…

you can't know for certain why you are getting any particular charging speed with out detailed logs from the vehicle and the charging stations at the moment of the charging session…

it's not your battery is the even money bet - it's EA which sucks and does not promise 350 kW - but sometimes (rarely) achieves it.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP
OP

Vikram

First Name
Vikram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
lots of historical details here - long story short - Your Charge rate may vary - YCRMV…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...my-taycan-charge-as-fast-as-i-want-it-to.779/
Thanks. I have looked at this post before and I am not getting the charging rate even when I am above 77.F and less than 20%. I would have expected the newly installed charger at the local Porsche dealer to perform but the numbers is exactly the same at all of them including EA and EC - starts at 150kW and then drops to 100kW around 50%. I am guessing it is possible that all of them are underperforming from the 350kW advertised speed?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
s
Thanks. I have looked at this post before and I am not getting the charging rate even when I am above 77.F and less than 20%. I would have expected the newly installed charger at the local Porsche dealer to perform but the numbers is exactly the same at all of them including EA and EC - starts at 150kW and then drops to 100kW around 50%. I am guessing it is possible that all of them are underperforming from the 350kW advertised speed?
yes - 350/270 kW is rarely achieved in my experience - it requires the onsite batteries to be fully charged and previoius vehicles not to have drained them…

EA sucks.

d00d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Country flag
I'm in the Boston area and the best EA so far has been Manchester, where I get ~200kW until 50%, ~150kW until 75%, <100kW after 80%.
Which EA station did you get ~270kW?
The Merrimack and Seabrook EA chargers are derated more than that, dropping to ~90kW after five minutes.
I've found EA's 350kW and 150kW chargers output the same within a given station.
Don't recall what speed I got at the Nashua Porsche charger when I topped it off post sale, but it may only be a 50kW.

OP
OP

Vikram

First Name
Vikram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I'm in the Boston area and the best EA so far has been Manchester, where I get ~200kW until 50%, ~150kW until 75%, <100kW after 80%.
Which EA station did you get ~270kW?
The Merrimack and Seabrook EA chargers are derated more than that, dropping to ~90kW after five minutes.
I've found EA's 350kW and 150kW chargers output the same within a given station.
Don't recall what speed I got at the Nashua Porsche charger when I topped it off post sale, but it may only be a 50kW.
It’s been many months but I got 270 at the Burlington Mall (EA)

Modthispny

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD
Country flag
same here man same here. Most I get is around 120-130kW at around 50% and it drops as the charge % increases. Even the loaner Taycan charged at same speed so don’t think it’s an issue with the car.

allroadusa

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ Pure White
Country flag
In order to get 260-270, you need to have the battery preheated and a SOC way below 40% (20/25%).

OP
OP

Vikram

First Name
Vikram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
In order to get 260-270, you need to have the battery preheated and a SOC way below 40% (20/25%).
Agree but I have tried it all. Preheated the battery to 85.F and SOC at 20%. Seems to me like the chargers are not performing.

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
Agree with other posters. I got 225 briefly one time that quickly dropped to 150 and then gradually below 100. My typical experience at EA on a 350 is 130-160 to start and below 100 after I hit about 60%.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree but I have tried it all. Preheated the battery to 85.F and SOC at 20%. Seems to me like the chargers are not performing.
yes - this is truth - charging stalls are performing at the rate EA maintains them and allows them to run - your issue is with EA and it's crappy charging network.

mjw930

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, ‘21 Ridgeline (modded)
Country flag
85F is not preheated, it's closer to 100F when it's properly preheated. And there's no way to command preheated, you need to make the charging station the destination, the actually station in the car's navigation POI database, not the GPS coordinates. If the Porsche dealership's charger doesn't show up when you search for charging stations then you aren't preheating. I get the same results at the dealership DC charger, about 150KW but every time I come in under 30% SOC to an EA station as a waypoint in my navigation I see 260+KW and a battery temp over 95F (35C).