Will older models get extended range as 2022 models?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
No, you are correct that the rear motor mechanically decouples due to the two speed transmission and the front motor stays connected at all times.

I don’t think what they are referring to here in these changes is a mechanical decoupling for the front motor. There’s no real detail there, but they refer to it as “electric freewheel”. For that reason, I think they only mean the
Sorry I did write decoupling, but meant that it was not active.

In the back of my head I think I read on this forum, that in Range mode only the front motor was active and not the rear motor. But now the text states the rear motor is the one that is active.

My car is in the workshop to try to get InnoDrive working so I can not go and and test it. I have not used Range mode so much since it did not give me more than perhaps 10 km extra range at 75% SOC or so. And I found it so irritating that it limits the speed to 140 km/h. Driving at the legal speed of 130 and just wanting to quickly overtake or pull out the stops on power. I know you can just floor the pedal and it will speed up but it always surprises me or any other person driving.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I know you can just floor the pedal and it will speed up but it always surprises me or any other person driving.
Lol, I didn’t know that at first. But I learned…

So, I was driving with my wife one day and said, “Hey did you know the car has a range mode where it won’t let you exceed a certain speed?”

I put it in range mode, took it to 70mph (the set limit at the time) and then said “Watch this.”
I then proceeded to floor it. We shot forward and she looked at me like I was an idiot. Which I guess I was.

Sorry. Off topic. Continue

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Lol, I didn’t know that at first. But I learned…

So, I was driving with my wife one day and said, “Hey did you know the car has a range mode where it won’t let you exceed a certain speed?”

I put it in range mode, took it to 70mph (the set limit at the time) and then said “Watch this.”
I then proceeded to floor it. We shot forward and she looked at me like I was an idiot. Which I guess I was.

Sorry. Off topic. Continue
No 'Casserole Safe Mode' even in Range then... ?

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would imaging all cars will get tweaks when next in the dealers. I doubt it will be OTA nor a recall but be carried out as part of routine service.

Take the new numbers with a pinch of salt and as mentioned above all need to be re-calibrated and therefore expect the differences to be marginal.

What we want is new battery tech (solid state / other) to move this game along rather than software optimisations (not a core Porsche strength at the moment as we all can bear witness to).
Yep new tech is what is needed, but at least Porsche underestimate their range while Tesla who have been doing EV's for 12 years overestimate by 30%! The 4S has the same range as a Tesla Model 3 Long Range in the real world, which suggests they aren't too bad at this game.

RocketDog

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4s
Country flag
Yep new tech is what is needed, but at least Porsche underestimate their range while Tesla who have been doing EV's for 12 years overestimate by 30%! The 4S has the same range as a Tesla Model 3 Long Range in the real world, which suggests they aren't too bad at this game.
I've just swapped a Tesla Model 3 Performance for the 4S and having done real world driving in both cars, the Tesla was significantly more efficient in terms of range (still prefer the 4S though!)

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've just swapped a Tesla Model 3 Performance for the 4S and having done real world driving in both cars, the Tesla was significantly more efficient in terms of range (still prefer the 4S though!)
Wow. Most M3P owners are getting around 270 miles per charge which is same as 4S owners are getting in general, some in warmer climates are getting over 300. My Taycan is far more efficient than my MSP100D as well

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You're right. Front decoupled (except when going down hill where you will see the rear light up (in cruise control mode at least))
Wow. Most M3P owners are getting around 270 miles per charge which is same as 4S owners are getting in general, some in warmer climates are getting over 300. My Taycan is far more efficient than my MSP100D as well
No danger of 270 miles at this time of year - 220 at best - with a PB+.

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
You're right. Front decoupled (except when going down hill where you will see the rear light up (in cruise control mode at least))

No danger of 270 miles at this time of year - 220 at best - with a PB+.
Agreed but then same for the Tesla based on the forums

RocketDog

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4s
Country flag
My CT 4s is sat outside ATM with 85% charge on it - range is showing as 186 miles - thats going to equate to 219? My M3P would show 300 miles at 100% but would typically get 265 in reality. The Porsche is miles behind. See attached screenshot from the range calculator. The range on the calculator increases to 240 if you select ECO plus but thats how my car is currently setup and the range is still more like the 220 shown.
Porsche Taycan Will older models get extended range as 2022 models? 1638213247099
Sponsored