Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cambrian-ai.com
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I'm loving my Taycan Cross Turismo, and am looking forward to driving up the ski areas here in Colorado now that we are finally getting some real snow. I got the All-Season tires on 20" wheels. In the past, I always installed Blizzak or Michelin X-ICE for my Audi A7, but am wondering if I need to do the same for car as heavy as the Taycan with such wide tires? If so, ( I'm showing my absolute Porsche ignorance here) can I install the 18" wheels I used on my A7 with Winter tires on my Taycan, or with the software just go berserk? Will they even fit?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I'm loving my Taycan Cross Turismo, and am looking forward to driving up the ski areas here in Colorado now that we are finally getting some real snow. I got the All-Season tires on 20" wheels. In the past, I always installed Blizzak or Michelin X-ICE for my Audi A7, but am wondering if I need to do the same for car as heavy as the Taycan with such wide tires? If so, ( I'm showing my absolute Porsche ignorance here) can I install the 18" wheels I used on my A7 with Winter tires on my Taycan, or with the software just go berserk? Will they even fit?

Thanks in advance!
if you spend time in snow country snows are a must have. I cannot advise on fitment

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
You make it sound like wide tires are better in snow. They are worse because they don't cut into the snow as much.
I don't know for sure but I doubt your 18" wheels will clear the brakes.
That being said, I would feel like it was a waste if I got All-Seasons and didn't use them in all seasons... if you were going to switch to winters you should've ordered summer tires with the car (if you had a choice).

str8tner

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'97 Boxster, BMW 3 , Lexus RX 350
Country flag
You make it sound like wide tires are better in snow. They are worse because they don't cut into the snow as much.
I don't know for sure but I doubt your 18" wheels will clear the brakes.
That being said, I would feel like it was a waste if I got All-Seasons and didn't use them in all seasons... if you were going to switch to winters you should've ordered summer tires with the car (if you had a choice).
Consumer Reports strongly recommends winter tires for those driving in snow country. I wish I had the option of summer tires when my 4S came with all-season tires. Finally, make sure you get tires designed for EVs. The weight of the car and other issues make that a must if you want the tires to last a few winter seasons.
"Tires for electric vehicles carry a heavier load and have to withstand high instant torque, leading to higher tire wear, so we need tires with stronger constructions and more robust rubber compounds. Greater mass and increased inertia means longer braking distance, so we place a special emphasis on optimal grip. "

Squiden

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I drove through the winter last year here in Colorado with no issues with the all seasons. My last couple cars I usually did the summer/winter double-pair, but the Taycan seems to do just fine on the all-seasons - the extra car weight gets you some good grip. As you know, this winter has been particularly mild, so I'm glad so far not having winter tires as it'd be a waste at the moment anyway! The one thing I haven't had to drive on yet (and am a bit afraid of) will be true ice... I'm sure the added weight will be a hindrance for stopping - something to consider.

About the only time I really wish for the winter tires is turning onto a street from a stop - the Taycan instant torque definitely creates some over-steer if you aren't careful on the throttle application. :) Otherwise, I've always felt very sure-footed on the roads while watching SUVs and trucks sliding around.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I too live in Colorado. I am a skier so when they are telling people to stay off the roads, I am often heading up to the mountains. Most of my miles in the Taycan have been in the mountains. I run all seasons during the summer and snows during the winter.

I have only driven the all seasons through light snow so I cannot give a full review of how they do in the winter. However, I have driven the Taycan through the toughest winter conditions you can experience. I have driven it on clear ice several times. Another time I took it up 15+ miles of switchbacks during a snow storm that had dumped 18 inches of snow which the plows had only partially cleared. You get the idea. The Taycan was the best snow car I have ever driven (and I have had my share of Audis, Subarus, etc) but when things got really dicey, I wanted all the security that snows provide. Just my two cents.

Oyinko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a set of 20'' Taycan turbo aero wheels and wondering if I could put the same tires sizes on the front and rear rims? Is it possible to downsize the rear tires to 245/45/20?

It's for winter usage so having narrower tires on the rear could help.

OP
OP
KarlFreund

KarlFreund

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cambrian-ai.com
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I drove through the winter last year here in Colorado with no issues with the all seasons. My last couple cars I usually did the summer/winter double-pair, but the Taycan seems to do just fine on the all-seasons - the extra car weight gets you some good grip. As you know, this winter has been particularly mild, so I'm glad so far not having winter tires as it'd be a waste at the moment anyway! The one thing I haven't had to drive on yet (and am a bit afraid of) will be true ice... I'm sure the added weight will be a hindrance for stopping - something to consider.

About the only time I really wish for the winter tires is turning onto a street from a stop - the Taycan instant torque definitely creates some over-steer if you aren't careful on the throttle application. :) Otherwise, I've always felt very sure-footed on the roads while watching SUVs and trucks sliding around.
Thanks! Did you see that the Rocky Mountain Porsche chapter is holding an ice day on Georgetown lake? I’m thinking that would be worth while!

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
you can take a look at some of my other posts on this topic. All my research shows the two top-tires are going to be Nokain R3 or the Hakappillitta 10 EV Smart Studded (if you can go studded).

There are supply chain issues though, so if you find a set of 'anything' that can keep it from spinning around in a circle, you might want to pick them up this year and then get your 'ideal' winter setup next year when there are potentially more options.

I have been holding out on the studded as they are rated for the EV, however it has been 3-months and we haven't been able to find a set of rears anywhere in the US country as a whole!

Yes, skinnier tires allow you to 'cut into the snow', however if you go with the R3 (they have crystals that 'act like studs') or the Hak-10-EV-stud, with the weight you could theoretically get better traction with a wider tire and use the grip and weight combo to act more like a snowmobile track vs a 'regular' snow tire. Bottom line, even the fronts are not 'skinny' winter tires if you went all-around with those. to use the skinny tire/snow theory, I would think that you would have to go MUCH skinnier than the front tire width and at that point, you are really asking for trouble with stability with such a heavy car.

Not sure of others thoughts, but these are mine and my 'theory' which is leading me to use the off-set, wide rears and just be sure that I put tires on there that can act as a snow-cat vs a tire.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even regular not-studded snow tires are vastly superior than all seasons in actual snow and frozen temperatures. The rubber is much softer for the cold, and braking and traction is much better.

Of course it’s a huge pain to swap, so for a single trip or a few, I’d resist swapping. For living in snow country, though, snows are just much safer

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The way I look at it is this: How mad would I be at myself if I crashed and took out a massive repair hit on my car, if knowing that perhaps if I had snows instead of AS it might have just been enough to prevent that accident?

There you go. Easily convinced myself to pay for the $5k winter shoes.

OP
OP
KarlFreund

KarlFreund

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cambrian-ai.com
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I too live in Colorado. I am a skier so when they are telling people to stay off the roads, I am often heading up to the mountains. Most of my miles in the Taycan have been in the mountains. I run all seasons during the summer and snows during the winter.

I have only driven the all seasons through light snow so I cannot give a full review of how they do in the winter. However, I have driven the Taycan through the toughest winter conditions you can experience. I have driven it on clear ice several times. Another time I took it up 15+ miles of switchbacks during a snow storm that had dumped 18 inches of snow which the plows had only partially cleared. You get the idea. The Taycan was the best snow car I have ever driven (and I have had my share of Audis, Subarus, etc) but when things got really dicey, I wanted all the security that snows provide. Just my two cents.
The way I look at it is this: How mad would I be at myself if I crashed and took out a massive repair hit on my car, if knowing that perhaps if I had snows instead of AS it might have just been enough to prevent that accident?

There you go. Easily convinced myself to pay for the $5k winter shoes.
so true! I’ve started looking around and cannot find any non studded snow tires!
you can take a look at some of my other posts on this topic. All my research shows the two top-tires are going to be Nokain R3 or the Hakappillitta 10 EV Smart Studded (if you can go studded).

There are supply chain issues though, so if you find a set of 'anything' that can keep it from spinning around in a circle, you might want to pick them up this year and then get your 'ideal' winter setup next year when there are potentially more options.

I have been holding out on the studded as they are rated for the EV, however it has been 3-months and we haven't been able to find a set of rears anywhere in the US country as a whole!

Yes, skinnier tires allow you to 'cut into the snow', however if you go with the R3 (they have crystals that 'act like studs') or the Hak-10-EV-stud, with the weight you could theoretically get better traction with a wider tire and use the grip and weight combo to act more like a snowmobile track vs a 'regular' snow tire. Bottom line, even the fronts are not 'skinny' winter tires if you went all-around with those. to use the skinny tire/snow theory, I would think that you would have to go MUCH skinnier than the front tire width and at that point, you are really asking for trouble with stability with such a heavy car.

Not sure of others thoughts, but these are mine and my 'theory' which is leading me to use the off-set, wide rears and just be sure that I put tires on there that can act as a snow-cat vs a tire.
thanks for all the good info! I went online to find some winter tires yesterday and struck out! I’ll keep trying!
Sponsored