WLG2 Campaign -- software updates

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I would hope no dealer ever directly connect a car to the internet. I just think "Mother" will want to see and confirm in real time that the files are received by the dealer and with ALL cars now needing huge files uploaded and downloaded daily a dealer with a non managed connection might have corrupt files or need to do multiple attempts to download a "clean" file and in doing so delay the return of the car to the owner.
I have no clue if the car is connected directly to the server or just to the local computer during the update. Given the frustration of the service people with the speed of the download (first patch still downloading after 4 hours) I would presume the former. Of course this does not matter if internet connection is fast - as pointed out in Sweden update took exactly 2 hours.

I still hope they move to OTA....
Sponsored

Litigator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Anything that makes the car better is a good thing. I agree. I just wanted to see how critical it was.

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
,2020 Taycan rurbo, 2018 GT3 1997 911 C4S, 1996 911 TT, 2008 911 GT2,1989 Speedster, 1994 3.6
Country flag
Thought Taycan’s already had this ability built in? Certainly every time I’ve asked anyone at Porsche they have made a point to say this was possible.
I believe the Taycan can get wireless updates guys almost 100% positive

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
It already gets nav updates. Firmware updates will know doubt follow but Porsche have a long way to go before this is rolled out.

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
,2020 Taycan rurbo, 2018 GT3 1997 911 C4S, 1996 911 TT, 2008 911 GT2,1989 Speedster, 1994 3.6
Country flag
It already gets nav updates. Firmware updates will know doubt follow but Porsche have a long way to go before this is rolled out.
Probably right but eventually they should be able to. TD

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I had a map update this morning (ota) it was the loudest ‘bong’ ever to announce an update was installed. Scared the ***** out of me.....
Haha, think I got one as well. Wondered what the bong was. Need to keep an eye out next time.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Haha, think I got one as well. Wondered what the bong was. Need to keep an eye out next time.
It popped up with a message on the centre screen when it bonged. The kids spotted the message...

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I was told today my VIN number is not required to have WGL2 installed. My car was completed in early July. last part of my VIN is 51744

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
BMW has made the leap. Their newest cars can update most, if not all, systems OTA. But it was a long, slow path.

I don’t think Mercedes is there yet.
They get there eventually. The problem is not the manufacturer, they can do this fairly easily. The problem is the supply chain. All the really fantastic stuff in luxury cars developed over years by suppliers like Bosch, etc. all now need to speak a software update language compatible to the system of their customer. This takes time. I rather wait and have excellent seats, lighting, etc. My focus is on driving availability and experience and NOT on OTA updates.