DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
I'm really hoping they do better than that on performance and price.

If they really wanted to compete, they should break it down like this, knowing most people would gladly pay $10K (or more like $15-20K after options are factored in) for Porsche quality:

Model S Standard Range (4.0 seconds) $75K --> Base Taycan (4.0 Seconds) $85K
Model S Long Range (3.7 seconds) $94K > Taycan S (3.7 Seconds) $104K.
Model S Performance (3.0 seconds) $104K --> Taycan Turbo (3.0 Seconds) $114K
Model S Performance w/ Ludicris Mode (2.4 seconds) $124K --> Taycan Turbo S (2.4 seconds) $134K.​

Knowing Porsche, here's what they'll probably release, which would make me pass and just get a Model S after they refresh in September:

Model S Standard Range (4.0 seconds) $75K --> Base Taycan (5.0 Seconds) $95K
Model S Long Range (3.7 seconds) $94K > Taycan S (4.2 Seconds) $110K.
Model S Performance (3.0 seconds) $104K --> Taycan Turbo (3.7 Seconds) $125K
Model S Performance w/ Ludicris Mode (2.4 seconds) $124K --> Taycan Turbo S (3.0 seconds) $145K.​

I agree that they love to make the base model slower than it really should be to ratchet up their S sales for better profit margin.
Yep
Sponsored

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
Its actually fun to speculate....add about $10k to 15k for each of your prices on the Base, S Turbo and Turbo S, and you might be close....LOL
Blume just announced the Taycan would start just under 100 Euros (111,000 dollars). So $105,000 for the base model. Based on the other porsche lines, an S is normally $15k to $20k more than the base model

For an amazing, unique, new hip Porsche, those are not outrageous prices. similar to 911 price structure, but disappointed that we all were originally expecting price to be between the Cayenne and Panamera, not same as the 911
As I’ve been writing for weeks. Price creep= protected profit margins. Porsche saw the robust pre orders and decided the demand warranted going back on their word re pricing

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
……………………………………...

Ok, now the thing about the Mission E and the Taycan...
I think we must stop comparing the two.
The Mission E is the one where we put the deposit for, simple as that.
We should also stop looking for excuses why the Taycan doesn't look like the Mission E.
It does look like it but surely is something different.
It's not where I put down my deposit for, period.
Now, that being said, I'm looking if I like the Taycan as it is.
Therefore I'll keep my reservation till September where I shall visit the FAA in Frankfurt.
I just want to see if it is a car I want to spend my money on.
I've just forgotten about the Mission E, I hope the Taycan is something I want as I'm still interested but only just...
We'll see...
Yes I agree on this one and will also go to FAA to make up my mind, for or against a final purchse...….

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
At first I thought, "Of course, that is still a mule.....of course the sensors will be covered and the lights are still under camouflage as well."
Then I looked carefully at all spy photos and those photos actually released by Porsche, and they all have that part in the center of the lower bumper cover. I dont think those are sensors, as sensors and cameras tend to be about 1 cm in diameter. Not sure what those things are in the lower part of the bumper. fog lights? Would there be need for two Lidar devices in the front center of the vehicle?

Last edited:

GyAkUsOu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A1 GB
Country flag
At first I thought, "Of course, that is still a mule.....of course the sensors will be covered and the lights are still under camouflage as well."
Then I looked carefully at all spy photos and those photos actually released by Porsche, and they all have that part in the center of the lower bumper cover. I dont think those are sensors, as sensors and cameras tend to be about 1 cm in diameter. Not sure what those things are in the lower part of the bumper. fog lights? Would there be need for two Lidar devices in the front center of the vehicle?
It's a bit worrying that this part is also visible on the upcoming Audi e-tron GT (same platform). So I guess they won't cover up these cameras/Lidar/fog lights/whatever.

Porsche Taycan Close Enough ? Yes or No arcji7

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Close enough? Not even close.

I don’t need a 4 door sedan. I wanted a sexy Porsche electric car.

I wonder how many other deposits feel the same way.
Do you actually feel that way after seeing how close the latest mules look compared to the prototype? I think you might be better off buying something from Tesla...

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Do you actually feel that way after seeing how close the latest mules look compared to the prototype? I think you might be better off buying something from Tesla...
Ron.........judging from posts over the last year and a half (as the mule became better known as Taycan) there actually are a fair number of depositors who feel the same as GT3GT4 man.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Ron.........judging from posts over the last year and a half (as the mule became better known as Taycan) there actually are a fair number of depositors who feel the same as GT3GT4 man.
I'm sure there are some. But unless someone needs the money for something else (another car), I would figure people would just wait until September after seeing the production car and then decide.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is what I'm waiting for.

20190607_052917.jpg
I can’t figure out how a US plate fits on that front bumper and doesn’t occlude the sensor package below. And those appear to be active sensors - check out the adaptive cruise and InnoDrive sensors on a Panamera and you’ll see similar sized cameras and adaptive radar.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag
I can’t figure out how a US plate fits on that front bumper and doesn’t occlude the sensor package below. And those appear to be active sensors - check out the adaptive cruise and InnoDrive sensors on a Panamera and you’ll see similar sized cameras and adaptive radar.
Easy! You put your plate into a tow hook adapter and not have holes drilled into your car.
That’s what’s dealers do btw. They drill holes. Into your car. Yuck.
Not all cars mind you, but a surprisingly large amount of car models have no licence plate “spot”
As region to region requires a front plate or not.

Just ask your dealer to not drill any holes for the plate and you’ll be fine. I’ve done it in the past.

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Planning to buy a Tesla or a Bollinger next year
Country flag
I don't understand why so many people are so hooked on the looks only. While I love the Mission-E look, this present look is not bad either.

I was under the understanding that what would really make this car different is the how it would be able to hold high speeds for a long time, basically at any speed it should run longer than any Tesla at the same speed. Does that not matter any more?

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla, Bollinger, Rivian and other BEVs fan)

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
I don't understand why so many people are so hooked on the looks only. While I love the Mission-E look, this present look is not bad either.

I was under the understanding that what would really make this car different is the how it would be able to hold high speeds for a long time, basically at any speed it should run longer than any Tesla at the same speed. Does that not matter any more?

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla, Bollinger, Rivian and other BEVs fan)
Porschephiles and/or people who are drawn to Porsche are concerned with looks?......nahhh.
Course I'm joking.....but another ingredient here is simply that for many, we've been drawn to the beauty of the Mission E body. That draw has been reinforced continually since 2015.
Not all of us of course.........yep engineering of the car is important, but to the aforementioned 'Porschephiles and/or people who are drawn to Porsche'......it was assumed, if not taken for granted.
Sponsored