Passifier

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN TURBO in production - (Tesla S-SOLD), Cayenne, MB 300 SUV
Country flag
Sorry, certainly did not intend to insult any Porsche owner. Back in the 1990s when Porsches were not such a common car in the Atlanta area, it was tradition of Porsche owners to flash headlights at each other to recognize each other's great car. It made the Porsche owners smile and have pride in their vehicle. Every Porsche is a great car!

Having said that, Porsches are supposed to be high performance sports cars. Every 911 qualifies for that. The base 911 does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, and the S w/Chrono does 3.3 sec. And the base Cayman/Boxster is 4.9 sec, but the S w/chrono and PDK is 4.0. But lets look at the heavy cars and the Taycan will be a heavy vehicle

Cayenne....Base model 5.9 seconds....common on, a Subaru will out run this! The S model w/chrono 4.6 seconds.

Macan.....Base model 6.3 seconds.....who has the gall to even call this a "sports" utility vehicle. Granted, it is beautiful and has the handling of a slow moving Porsche....lol The S w/chrono, 4.6 seconds....ok, no we have a "sporty" Sports Utility Vehicle.

Panamera....Base model...5.4 seconds......S model w/chrono 4 seconds. As an S model, considering its size and weight, truly AMAZING vehicle. Equally amazing interior, with hideous fat rear end (until the 2019 model). The base model boring and lethargic, no wonder they designed the rear-end to resemble a fat woman's rear end....lol At the time I test drove the Panamera several years ago, it also had different suspension settings. WOW. I almost bought it but had difficulty fitting it into my high-rise condo building parking spot and couldn't get over paying over 100k for a car that had an ugly rear end.

The Taycan.....I am guessing the Turbo S would be between 3.1 and 3.5 seconds, and the S around 4 and the base around 5. Just speculation based on other heavy Porsche vehicles and the obvious need of Porsche to differentiate models based on performance and justify pricing. And additionally for the Taycan, an important part of the performance will be the range.

I greatly look forward to seeing the exact stats of the different Taycan models and look forward to owning one!
We flashed headlights in the 70"s from BMW to BMW and then went to MB, Aston Martin, etc. and the trend stopped. Maybe we can do the flash lights thing again with the TAYCAN.....I am also weary of the mule photos because I am so entrenched in the Mission E look and still plan to fly to Germany for the debut before i pick up my car. Hope they surprise us but not feeling good about the changes and also was not happy with the package received a couple of weeks ago that still show the Mission E....bad PR !
Sponsored

Passifier

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN TURBO in production - (Tesla S-SOLD), Cayenne, MB 300 SUV
Country flag
Close enough? Not even close.

I don’t need a 4 door sedan. I wanted a sexy Porsche electric car.

I wonder how many other deposits feel the same way.
Agreed with your comment....only got rid of my Tesla S because I was worried about the future of the company but thought it was very cool in 2015! Sexy was my Aston Martin ! Will not accept a "Panamera" clone !

Reactions: Ron

robox

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5/ Maloo
Country flag
Agreed with your comment....only got rid of my Tesla S because I was worried about the future of the company but thought it was very cool in 2015! Sexy was my Aston Martin ! Will not accept a "Panamera" clone !
Close enough? Not even close.

I don’t need a 4 door sedan. I wanted a sexy Porsche electric car.

I wonder how many other deposits feel the same way.

robox

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5/ Maloo
Country flag
I’m of the same thinking
The conformation in a recent post by PAG-J1 that the just posted renders from an auto mag were ‘so close’ to the production model has put me out of my misery
It’s been a roller coaster ride since putting down my deposit
I don’t need a 4 door family sports car either, I also wanted a ‘sexy’ electric porsche (the gorgeous Misson E) or in fact a car that resembled the
‘latest sketch from our designers’ would do nicely but I’m afraid the production model is missing soooo much of the sexy for me
I thought bugger it, if the inside is the same as the the concept then I’d probably go ahead but even this is confirmed toned down and not my preferred choice
My whole working life I’ve dreamed of buying a Porsche, sad to say I might have to wait a FEW MORE YEARS for the 911 to go electric or a FEW MORE YEARS for that elusive Taycan coupe
The Taycan is set to be a huge success even though at the moment it’s not ‘close enough’ for me, good luck to them
Disappointed but the Porsche dealer can hold my deposit (number 4 in the South Island NZ ) till I see the car just in case, (not holding my breath)

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag
I’m of the same thinking
The conformation in a recent post by PAG-J1 that the just posted renders from an auto mag were ‘so close’ to the production model has put me out of my misery
It’s been a roller coaster ride since putting down my deposit
I don’t need a 4 door family sports car either, I also wanted a ‘sexy’ electric porsche (the gorgeous Misson E) or in fact a car that resembled the
‘latest sketch from our designers’ would do nicely but I’m afraid the production model is missing soooo much of the sexy for me
I thought bugger it, if the inside is the same as the the concept then I’d probably go ahead but even this is confirmed toned down and not my preferred choice
My whole working life I’ve dreamed of buying a Porsche, sad to say I might have to wait a FEW MORE YEARS for the 911 to go electric or a FEW MORE YEARS for that elusive Taycan coupe
The Taycan is set to be a huge success even though at the moment it’s not ‘close enough’ for me, good luck to them
Disappointed but the Porsche dealer can hold my deposit (number 4 in the South Island NZ ) till I see the car just in case, (not holding my breath)
Yeah I’m already shopping around. I wanted more sport and less sedan, which the mission e was.

Wife wants a sports car and wife gets what she wants.

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
I am still on the fence. Loved the Mission E as soon as I saw it and called my dealer to put me "on the list" to get on the list. I had my deposit down as soon as the dealer ask for a deposit. The first pics of the mules really turned me off. The newer pics are better but still not nearly what I thought I was putting mone down for. I am in no hurry as I have plenty of cars so I am in the wait and see (in person) before I decide either way. If I go for an EV I am thinking I want it all and will not settle. There are way to many ICE cars which I would still prefer to an EV which does not meet or exceed my expetations.

3DBB

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW R1150R
Country flag
As far as I can tell, the final Taycan will have exactly zero of the top five features that attracted me to the Mission E. If that's truly the case, I'm out. I guess I'll be looking at a used BMW i8.

robox

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5/ Maloo
Country flag
As far as I can tell, the final Taycan will have exactly zero of the top five features that attracted me to the Mission E. If that's truly the case, I'm out. I guess I'll be looking at a used BMW i8.
I agree
It would be way easy to let them away with say one or two maybe three .... but five, six or SEVEN best features
For me it’s
1. Doors (later confirmed not in) but
Necessitating standard look central pillar
2. Wide rear/front guards
3. Subsequent serious recess/dish to doors
4. Interior
5. Staggered concept wheels (but this
might be an option
6. Minimal door handle look
7. Elimination of Porsche logo at rear

I find it so ordinary now (compared to the E)
So Sad

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
I am still on the fence. Loved the Mission E as soon as I saw it and called my dealer to put me "on the list" to get on the list. I had my deposit down as soon as the dealer ask for a deposit. The first pics of the mules really turned me off. The newer pics are better but still not nearly what I thought I was putting mone down for. I am in no hurry as I have plenty of cars so I am in the wait and see (in person) before I decide either way. If I go for an EV I am thinking I want it all and will not settle. There are way to many ICE cars which I would still prefer to an EV which does not meet or exceed my expetations.
Your story and comments mirror mine to a tee. My expectations were that for a premium price, Porsche would blow everything else away and actually build the mission e that we all wanted. Gorgeous, and unique, long range, with all of the driving dynamics of a genuine Porsche. Fast charging is great, but few of us will ever use it, ability to sustain high speed for extended periods of time is great, but few of us will ever need it. I’m not going to settle for a “good looking sporty 155K 4 door sedan” with battery technology which will be obsolete in 24 months, unless the vehicle itself was a game changer, and the reality of the production Taycan isn’t. I suspect that fully half of us who have put deposits down feel the same way.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag
Your story and comments mirror mine to a tee. My expectations were that for a premium price, Porsche would blow everything else away and actually build the mission e that we all wanted. Gorgeous, and unique, long range, with all of the driving dynamics of a genuine Porsche. Fast charging is great, but few of us will ever use it, ability to sustain high speed for extended periods of time is great, but few of us will ever need it. I’m not going to settle for a “good looking sporty 155K 4 door sedan” with battery technology which will be obsolete in 24 months, unless the vehicle itself was a game changer, and the reality of the production Taycan isn’t. I suspect that fully half of us who have put deposits down feel the same way.
Yeah same boat here. This would have been my first Porsche (and because of that I was denied a new GT4) but I wanted something like the mission E, something sporty. I feel this car is less sporty, at least it looks like it for me. I wanted a fun 3rd vehicle, this looks more like a daily driver which I already have 2 of.

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Yeah same boat here. This would have been my first Porsche (and because of that I was denied a new GT4) but I wanted something like the mission E, something sporty. I feel this car is less sporty, at least it looks like it for me. I wanted a fun 3rd vehicle, this looks more like a daily driver which I already have 2 of.
See, I'm trading in my Macan for the Taycan. DD for DD. I keep my fun car to cars that I can buy outright and won't have payments on, as I like to do lots of umm...things that may go against warranty, haha.

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
See, I'm trading in my Macan for the Taycan. DD for DD. I keep my fun car to cars that I can buy outright and won't have payments on, as I like to do lots of umm...things that may go against warranty, haha.
Well I have other "fun" cars as well but why does a DD have to be boring? I have a Pano TS for a DD which is about as boring as I want to get.

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Well I have other "fun" cars as well but why does a DD have to be boring? I have a Pano TS for a DD which is about as boring as I want to get.
Yeah, I get what you're saying. My Macan GTS is chipped and lowered a bit...plenty fun for a DD. My Jeep is all set up for off-road stuff (bur still drivable as a daily), so that's fun in it's own right.

However, you're writing off a car that you haven't REALLY seen or driven yet as being boring.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Well I have other "fun" cars as well but why does a DD have to be boring?
It doesn't.
Life is too short.
If 'driving' ranks high as one of life's simple pleasures....compromise should not be in the cards.
Everyone's different. You know your own priorities......you know how you rank them.
I've driven a 911 home after work for many years......rain, snow, winter, summer.

There a days I would not trade that for anything in the world.
If a person can get that kind of pleasure from a Macan or Audi TT.....more power to them.
Taycan will be a 'good car' but IMHO.....but the way it sits now, it will only rate as a good dog-hauler for the wife to drive for a couple years.
I would have felt differently about the Mission E body.

When you get out of your car and start to walk away......do you always have that hankering to turn your head for one more look?
For me that's also one of life's simple pleasures. :)

Ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
89 Turbo, BMW M6 Competition, 87 Turbo SN, BMW X5, Turbo S, BMW 4, BMW 2, Audi A5
Country flag
I agree with Gregg T. When I walk away from my 89 930 Turbo it is a great feeling. Maybe we will get lucky and Porsche decides to use the Mission E body for a Turbo S version. The more aggressive/wide body.
Sponsored