Porsche Mobile Charger Connect vs Mobile Charger Plus

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
Anyone seen or know the differences between the mandatory Porsche Mobile Charger and the Plus version which is coming in June?

from : https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/charging-18558.html

• The Porsche Mobile Charger Connect combines intelligent charging functions with network and Internet connectivity. It can be used to charge the vehicle with 11 kW. With the "price-optimised charging" function, daytime and night-time periods, during which electricity is cheaper, are also used specifically for charging. Operation is intuitive via the five-inch touch display. Data such as the battery's current charging status and the remaining charging time can either be displayed on the screen or on a smartphone or tablet linked to it. Thanks to its WiFi functionality, the Mobile Charger Connect can also be networked with the Home Energy Manager so that intelligent charging functions can be used at home.
  • With the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (available from mid-2020), the Taycan can be charged at home or on the road with a maximum of 11 kW. With its compact dimensions and weighing less than three kilograms, it is easy to transport. A wall bracket is supplied and can be mounted in the garage. The Porsche Mobile Charger Plus is then simply and securely attached using a clip-in system. With the Porsche Charging Dock Pedestal bracket and the attractively designed Porsche Compact Pedestal, both chargers are protected against external influences such as rain or vandalism. The devices can be removed from the docks.
Sponsored

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
I have seen the Mobile Charger Connect and it's a big heavy thing that will take up a lot of space in the trunk if one should choose to bring it on the road for emergency charging. I already have a very small and light ChargeAmps mobile charger for that purpose. I also have a 22 kW charger in the garage so for me this forced option is nothing but a very expensive joke.

The Mobile Charger Plus will do pretty much the same job as the Mobile Charger Connect, i.e. charge the car with up to 11 kW. I refuse to believe that Porsche can not deliver this free standard charger until mid-2020. I am 100% sure that this is just another example of Porsche squeezing as much money as possible from of their customers :angry:

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Which chargeamos product do you have, like the lightweight and will it work with the taycan?

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
Last edited:

seea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Singer Classic 911, Carrera GT, F430, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi, new to EVs & have some questions regarding chargers/charging. Notwithstanding issues related to socket compatibility &/or charge efficiency:

a) are Porsche Mobile Charger Connect & Porsche Mobile Charger Plus compatible with non-Porsche EVs/hybrids? (for example, can I use them to charge Teslas, Nissan Leafs, etc.)

b) are other manufacturers' chargers compatible with Porsche EVs/Hybrids?
If incompatible, are these voltage, current, or software issues?

c) when "parting ways" with your EV, do you (eventually plan to) have a contractor/electrician uninstall the charging accessories, then hand these to the buyer? Tell buyer to just order their own charger? What's typical?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
yes - EV chargers are not vendor specific - in North America the Taycan conforms to the J-1772 EV charging standard - and the Porsche Chargers conform to the J-1772 charging standard - so you can expect your Taycan to charge with any other J-1772 charger, and if you go with Porsche chargers they will charge other EVs.

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
I have a stupid question, is there an app that connects to the mobile connect unit? the Tesla app tracks activity and flow, the Connect app seems to just show status from the car not the mobile connect unit?

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
And what’s the point of mobile charger connect? I feel like I could have skipped it and just checked the 25ft cable.
what aftermarket cables are people using?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The PMC+ (STD with the car) does not have an app nor does it offer WiFi. It has a max of 9.6kW.

PMCC has an app of sorts (web portal - PMCC Web Connect) and is WiFi enabled. Only accessible on your home network or via the hotspot. It also has a touchscreen and offers 19.6kW to 22kW (UK and Europe). To take advantage of the additional throughput you'd need a suitable electrical supply and optioned the onboard 22kW AC charger (STD is 11kW). Max 11kW would be possible if the supply supports.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PMCC in US is currently also limited to 9.6 kW - any more would require a hardwired supply cable - so it would no longer be “mobile” - but I guess you could unplug the “supply” cable and (it’s modular) - but you’d want to throw the breaker cause the supply cable would be “live” if you just unplug it…the problem is once you’ve thrown the breaker and unplugged the PMCC from it’s hardwired supply cable - you’ll need to purchase a NEMA plug supply cable - which is north of $200 for an underspec supply cable that will overheat - well I can get you an _ENTIRE_ EVSE for about $300 with a 25ft cable and a range of NEMA plug adatpers that is also lighter, smaller, and won’t overheat - so for about the cost of a NEMA 14-50 supply cable - you can get a non-Porsche EVSE…again better choices for less money than the Porsche option.

in any case - for North American market PMC+ & PMCC are effectively 9.6 kW - Porsche was rumored to have a 19.2 kW model (same as euro 22 kW model I’m guessing) but pricing and availability is elusive - you would need that or a non-Porsche EVSE to take advantage of 19.2 kW North American charging option for MY’22 Taycan - given that the current PMCC has heat problems @ 9.6 kW not sure I’d want to run 19.2 kW through it - but I have no personal experience with the 19.2 kW model…time will tell if this is a good idea.

for the North American market I’m not a fan of the Porsche chargers - and at $1120 for the PMCC I really really not a fan as there are better and less costly non-Porsche alternatives - the “includes” PMC+ is tolerable but still fundamentally not my favorite choice, but it’s included with the vehicle so it’s hard to argue you should spend extra $$$ getting a non-Porsche option. I can easily argue skp the Porsche option if you’ve checked the $1120 box - and if you want a 25 foot charging cable Porsche forces you to get the the $1120 PMCC - again there are better more cost effective solutions for a 25 ft cable EVSE in North American at 1/2 or more less the cost of the Porsche option.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
we all know I like the clipper creek options - they are about 1/2 the cost of the Porsche Option with a 25ft cable

but here is another alternative w/23ft cable - 9.6 kW (40 amps charging - 50 amp breaker) (NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 cable - doesn’t matter for fixed home installation) - and software adjustable from up to 50 amps of charging (70 amp breaker)

has a good app, wifi, and works with various home assistants - relabile - buy this for your home garage - it’s 1/2 the cost of the Porsche PMCC (works better, won’t overheat, better app and wifi support) and comes with a 23ft cable - ifyou check the $0 25ft cable option you’re forced to buy the Porsche $1120 PMCC - if you get this it’s 1/2 the cost, and you get to keep the moble PMC+ w/15ft cable for when you travel with your Taycan. so for 1/2 the cost you get 2 EVSE’s - one for home/garage - and the other “included” charger which is mobile for travel. I really really don’t like the PMCC.

https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/home/

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Thank you for all of this info. (clipper creek / charge point).

I'm finally wrapping my head around charging. As if it wasn't difficult enough to choose wheels LOL. Even after the read, I'm still leaning towards shelling out the additional $500 for PMCC in order to get the touch screen. I'd rather not have to pull out my phone to make adjustments. Not having real life experience puts me at a disadvantage in making this decision, I know.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Even after the read, I'm still leaning towards shelling out the additional $500 for PMCC in order to get the touch screen. I'd rather not have to pull out my phone to make adjustments.
lol, I think you just triggered 6 more @daveo4EV charging posts…

But I couldn’t agree with him more that the PMCC is a bad option on the car (in the US).

And it’s not $500. It’s $1120. And it’s literally just for the differences between the PMC+ and the PMCC.

The ChargePoint he linked looks awesome for people with the standard 9.6kW (…11kW) on board AC charger.

What adjustments are you wanting to make?

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
lol, I think you just triggered 6 more @daveo4EV charging posts…

But I couldn’t agree with him more that the PMCC is a bad option on the car (in the US).

And it’s not $500. It’s $1120. And it’s literally just for the differences between the PMC+ and the PMCC.

The ChargePoint he linked looks awesome for people with the standard 9.6kW (…11kW) on board AC charger.

What adjustments are you wanting to make?
Chargepoint = $700 and PMCC upgrade = $1120 Got it. I am not going to add the 19.2kW option as I'm not interested in adding 100amp service.

I've never owned an EV so I'm a bit in the dark here. I just assumed that timers and charging limits would be set on the wall unit as opposed to the car or an app. I'm here to be enlightened ;)

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Chargepoint = $700 and PMCC upgrade = $1120 Got it. I am not going to add the 19.2kW option as I'm not interested in adding 100amp service.

I've never owned an EV so I'm a bit in the dark here. I just assumed that timers and charging limits would be set on the wall unit as opposed to the car or an app. I'm here to be enlightened ;)
Then it would be $500 for whatever the PMCC loses relative to the ChargePoint,

…plus reduced charging capacities since the ChargePoint can go above 40 amps when hardwired (you can use up to 48 amps, while the PMCC is limited to 40 amps) and one less EVSE since the ChargePoint would still leave you with the factory supplied PMC+ that you can leave in your car as @daveo4EV mentioner. This is what I do since I also have a separate EVSE.

I don’t know if you can change timers and profiles on the PMCC since I don’t have it. But I think the phone option is better anyway. That’s how I do it now and probably how I would do it regardless. I’m not normally with my car or charger when I decide to change this. I’m off somewhere else, we make plans for the next day that affect how I want to charge, then I change it in the app on my phone. Super convenient.

And you can adjust profiles and timers on the car’s PCM in any case…but again, I’m not usually by my car when I want to adjust it.
Sponsored

Last edited: