Allocations?

DrLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (one day)
Country flag
I haven't seen many people talking about placing orders within the last couple months. Is it hard for anyone else to find an allocation?

I'm on the wait list at all 3 Colorado dealerships and I'm being told that an allocation for a Turbo likely won't show up for another 6-8 months and I'm told I'm the next in line to get one. At this point, I'm happy to buy out of state but don't want to spend the time contacting dozens of dealerships myself. Does anyone have a good broker they'd recommend for this?
Sponsored

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I got an allocation from a dealer in FL in late August with a freeze date of yesterday. I didn't really get the impression is was for any particular trim level, just for a Taycan. We also have at least 8-10 Porsche dealers in this state.

The dealer did ask me where I lived and said they weren't allowed to do allocations for out of state customers so you might have an issue finding one in another state.

6-8 months sounds kind of ridiculous from what I've experienced but maybe it's more like Turbos aren't available due to manufacturing delays so they're not giving allocations to people who want to order a Turbo. You might play dumb and ask around about ordering a 4s and see what they say.

yucatown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I had trouble getting an allocation for a turbo. After 2 months of waiting, a Turbo S allocation became available in July and I took it.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
The rumor mill says that, starting in early summer, Porsche significantly reduced the number of allocations they gave out, and may even have taken some back if they weren't used. That very much lines up with my experience of trying to find an allocation at around that time.

That's based on what salesmen at dealerships told me, so take it with a big grain of salt.

If you can find a dealership who has an allocation, your dealership has the ability to trade for it. You don't necessarily have to buy out of state to benefit from a different dealership's allocation. This works better if you have a good relationship with your local dealer, since I gather these trades are seldom one-for-one.

OP
OP

DrLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (one day)
Country flag
Two of the dealerships here had 4S allocations but didn’t offer to trade them for a turbo and now I’m pretty convinced I want a turbo since my config would have been over $160k if a 4S.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Two of the dealerships here had 4S allocations but didn’t offer to trade them for a turbo and now I’m pretty convinced I want a turbo since my config would have been over $160k if a 4S.
That's certainly a lot for a 4s but to get to that number you'd need to have spec'd a lot of options which aren't included on the Turbo either. Have you done a build for a Turbo with the same options to see what that comes out to?

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
I haven't seen many people talking about placing orders within the last couple months. Is it hard for anyone else to find an allocation?

I'm on the wait list at all 3 Colorado dealerships and I'm being told that an allocation for a Turbo likely won't show up for another 6-8 months and I'm told I'm the next in line to get one. At this point, I'm happy to buy out of state but don't want to spend the time contacting dozens of dealerships myself. Does anyone have a good broker they'd recommend for this?
Granted mine was a RWD, but I ordered on 08/09/2021 and my car is at the port in Emden right now.

Nick Murray is usually pretty responsive on this stuff. Wouldn't hurt reaching out to him.

makados

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 BMW X5 45e, 2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I used Cartelligent, and in early August they found an allocation for a build that was supposed to start last week, but got pushed by a week.

OP
OP

DrLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (one day)
Country flag
That's certainly a lot for a 4s but to get to that number you'd need to have spec'd a lot of options which aren't included on the Turbo either. Have you done a build for a Turbo with the same options to see what that comes out to?
Yeah I did and the amount spent on options was around $23k for the turbo vs more like $50k on the 4S, if I remember correctly. I figured that with the difference in base trim price being the most relevant factor in resale value, I'd be a bit better off with the turbo.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I lucked into one in Texas last month. I was checking CT inventory of several dealerships to see if they had any, one had an "incoming vehicle" showing, which was of course someone else's order. Fortunately, he had a CT4 build slot that was meant to start production this month, and he gave it to me a couple of weeks before it locked. I got my build in right away, he made the changes, and it delayed the production/delivery about a week.

I just got notified today that it started production and so far everything is happening a few days ahead of the TYD schedule with delivery supposedly in mid Nov.

dwaltchack

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor, ordered TCT Turbo
Country flag
I used Cartelligent, and in early August they found an allocation for a build that was supposed to start last week, but got pushed by a week.
what was that experience like? -working w Cartelligence

makados

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 BMW X5 45e, 2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
what was that experience like? -working w Cartelligence
It's fine, a second car I'm getting through them. The first one was a custom order X5 hybrid during early times of COVID. I knew exactly the car I wanted, gave them the build and they found allocation and negotiated a discount (75k -> 69k). I guess it's possible to get a better discount, especially if a car is not a custom order, but I'm not a good negotiator and not willing to do the legwork. When the car was ready, it was delivered to me with a package of documents, that I signed from the comfort of my home, and that's it. I only ever stepped into a dealership for a test-drive. Although, I think, more dealerships are doing home deliveries now.

For the Taycan, I haven't received it yet, but the delivery experience is supposed to be the same. About ordering - I knew a build and just pinged my account manager that I want the car, and in a day or two they found an close allocation at the LA area dealership. According to him, there is no discounts on Taycans now, so I'm basically buying convenience and someone talking to dealerships to find allocation, and that works well for me.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
According to him, there is no discounts on Taycans now, so I'm basically buying convenience and someone talking to dealerships to find allocation, and that works well for me.
I appreciate hearing this from someone other than the dealer... I hate paying MSRP, but it stings less knowing I don't have much control over it.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I was in Los Angeles a few weeks ago and visited the Porsche dealer in Woodland Hills. There were about 10 Taycans (Turbos, 4S's and RWD) in stock in various colors. You might want to do a search to see if you can find stock at any dealership. I live in NY and found a 2021 model close match to my custom build in Pennsylvania, but I already put a deposit on a custom build in early July. When I placed my order, delivery was going to be early November (the dealer said I was getting one of their previously placed orders for stock) but now I'm told it will be in January.
Sponsored