19.2 kW AC On-board charger removes the standard Plug & Charge capability

seskiyapan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Most people won’t take advantage of it. What’s your use case?

Up to a few days ago I would have said it cannot be added later. However, Porsche recently announced there will be a 19.2kW retrofit option for MY20 (maybe 20+) cars in some markets later this year. It’s a hardware swap.
Do you have the link for this announcement ?
Sponsored

NFBJRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I’m looking at a lightly used ‘21 Turbo S w/ the 19.2kW charger. Has there been any update about plug and charge functionality?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I’m looking at a lightly used ‘21 Turbo S w/ the 19.2kW charger. Has there been any update about plug and charge functionality?
there is an update/procedure the dealers can perform to make sure this all works - any Porsche dealership should be able to review the history of the VIN and see if this work was done or if the 2021 was produced post fix - and therefore has the fix from the factory.

this can be resolved, so you won't be stuck with it like that forever - but it may take some work to get the procedure performed if the vehicle is still in the 'broken' state

depending on how much you plan to use public fast charging (most people use it far less than they plan to or discover they need to) that I wouldn't let this deter me if you like the vehicle.

NFBJRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Thank you! It’s already hard enough to find something that’s already built that meets my criteria without now having to also rule out any cars equipped with that option. Good to know this is now a non-issue.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you! It’s already hard enough to find something that’s already built that meets my criteria without now having to also rule out any cars equipped with that option. Good to know this is now a non-issue.
"non issue" is an overstatement - fixable issue w/some effort is more accurate

but also it only affects plug&charge - you can always start charging via app or local charging stall

so this "broken" feature is simply the lack of a convenience feature…again the car still works fully - but you may have to launch an app to start the charging session rather than just plug the car in.

carboard123

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s 1972 911T Targa
Country flag
I have a 2021 with the 19kw onboard charger. When I first got the car (new) plug and charge did not work. I had the software update done to fix this issue quite a while ago (can’t remember exactly when this was). I have never had a problem with plug and charge since. Works every time. The update was not a big issue. Took a few hours and car was ready same day.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a 2021 with the 19kw onboard charger. When I first got the car (new) plug and charge did not work. I had the software update done to fix this issue quite a while ago (can’t remember exactly when this was). I have never had a problem with plug and charge since. Works every time. The update was not a big issue. Took a few hours and car was ready same day.
the update is no issue

directing the service tech to the correct service bulletin is the issue - they sometimes have trouble knowing what you are talking about

once found it is trivial and easy - finding it is the trick

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I have been off this forum for a while and just checking back in. I have a MY21 with the 19.2kW option and went through the software upgrade this summer with the new colored icons. I have plug'n'charge activated by checking the box in the settings and it has worked flawlessly at every EA station since the upgrade.

Reading this, it is actually the first time that I have heard that P'n'C is not an option/does not work for others with the 19.2kW.

I remember back when I first had the car, I went through an upgrade that allowed me to select the P'n'C when others could not (I will have to search for those posts back around the March'21 timeframe. At any rate, when it went through the interim update back in the spring, it actually removed the P'n'C and I thought I was out of luck. Then the full PCM upgrade comes available and I am back to having this work.

I don't think I am special, so I am wondering if others with the 19.2kW have the P'n'C working after the PCM upgrade?

Don't ask me what I did, as it is nothing that I can state from my end, I simply went through the upgrade and it is available.
Sponsored