$1k reimbursement for electric steering column adjt

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
VAG has learned from this situation, though. In May my wife bought an Audi Q5. We shopped for a while; every one we found had the “Semiconductor Delete Package” (clearly named for the lulz) on the Monroney. The line item description for this package stated all the options that were removed and the dollar amount being deducted from the MSRP. In the end, we were lucky to find ONE on a dealer’s lot that omitted this package & had all the features.
That is definitely a fair approach given the supply chain shortage. As long as the manufacturer is up front, everything is honest. The problem is when they promise something for customer to take delivery, then reneg on it but refuse to undo the delivery.

Honestly, if a month or two ago they offered everyone $1,000 cash or full refund for the car, I bet most people would take the $1,000. In the car market of first half of 2022, this should not be a huge problem. I said first half 2022 because I can see slowdowns happening already. With the market heading south, people back out of their orders, dealer spec cars are not moving at $15K+ above MSRP as they got used to before. Heck, I see a few Taycans at MSRP which are not moving either, so definitely the market is slowing down. By the time I get an allocation, I might be able to negotiate a deal under MSRP.
Sponsored

OP
OP
f10tt

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
PCNA called me today to ensure I got the email. Because this is a worldwide thing rollout is going to be very slow. They told me at least November for my Nov 21 delivered MY22.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PCNA called me today to ensure I got the email. Because this is a worldwide thing rollout is going to be very slow. They told me at least November for my Nov 21 delivered MY22.
It makes you think. If it takes them that long to roll out a cash payment, how would would it have taken if they actually had parts to do a retrofit. Are all campaign rollouts correcting issues this slow with Porsche?

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I did not get an email, but I got a letter in the mail this week with the same wording. Go figure.

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
had 1st service this week and asked about the electric steering column, (UK) dealer still clueless. Have asked for compensation/refund of the associated £1440 option, will see what happens. Still only 1 key (after 11 months) , evidently the second keys sent don’t work.

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
So after some complaining and nearly 1 year I finally received a letter from Porsche UK, no electric steering column will be retrofitted and £360 compensation will be paid instead. Still waiting on a second key........

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
Never heard that this component was M.I.A. on my '21. Is it the case that every Taycan with 14-way seats is qualified for this rebate if they don't have the electronics for the steering wheel already inrstalled? I have a heated steering wheel but movement is manual only.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So after some complaining and nearly 1 year I finally received a letter from Porsche UK, no electric steering column will be retrofitted and £360 compensation will be paid instead. Still waiting on a second key........
I think people need to just start treating Porsche like experienced Tesla owners treat Tesla - assume the only features you will ever get are the ones present on delivery date, for the rest either negotiate immediate discount off the price of the car at delivery, or negotiate a written guarantee with explicit dates and/or associated penalties for not delivering. Before delivery is when the customer has the most leverage without having to take things to court. After delivery, they can give you whatever compensation and if you take it, their lawyers will consider the settlement accepted.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
I think people need to just start treating Porsche like experienced Tesla owners treat Tesla - assume the only features you will ever get are the ones present on delivery date, for the rest either negotiate immediate discount off the price of the car at delivery, or negotiate a written guarantee with explicit dates and/or associated penalties for not delivering. Before delivery is when the customer has the most leverage without having to take things to court. After delivery, they can give you whatever compensation and if you take it, their lawyers will consider the settlement accepted.
Not defending Porsche, but I think the chip shortage is something not seen before. Personally, I understand they owe me some stuff. If they want to give me a check and not do it, that is fine. If it was a major component I needed then I would not have accepted the car. I can live with the manual steering adjustment.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not defending Porsche, but I think the chip shortage is something not seen before. Personally, I understand they owe me some stuff. If they want to give me a check and not do it, that is fine. If it was a major component I needed then I would not have accepted the car. I can live with the manual steering adjustment.
I understand unique situation of the pandemic. I have no problem with them offering compensation, so people who think it's worth it can accept. However, unique world situations don't absolve people or companies of their contractual obligations. For example, if you got laid off because of chip shortages (your company cannot make product without chips), do you think Porsche would accept you sent them half a monthly payment for the car with a note "here is half the payment, due to unforeseen market situation that's all I will pay for the foreseeable future"? Or do you think they'd engage lawyers to reposes your car?

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
sad but true, I've owned a Porsche for a few years and generally their service and communication has been excellent, however, they have let themselves down on this. I did sign a disclaimer that stated the parts were missing but they would be retrofitted which I trusted would not take 11 months only to be told they could not honour it -hindsight and all that. Leverage was limited with a 1+ year wait list..... I was just pleased to get a car :CWL:

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
So why only £360 when in the US they get $1000. I am pretty sure I don’t get $3 if I exchange £1. That seems blatantly unfair unless the option in the US was more expensive than in the UK - which I don’t think it was

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Leverage was limited with a 1+ year wait list..... I was just pleased to get a car :CWL:
You got an excellent point there. However, what they should have done is say up front, "you can refuse delivery and get all your deposits back, or if you take the delivery we will try to retrofit this in your car, but if we fail, you will get £360 instead". That would have been honest. The problem is that they committed to retrofit in order not to have to try to find another buyer for a custom ordered car, and then reneged on it. Other manufacturers for example clearly tell customers what is missing and offers a discount (I think they even call it something along the lines of a "chip shortage package" and give it a negative price) rather than commit to retrofits. There they clearly use their leverage of long wait times but do it honestly.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So why only £360 when in the US they get $1000. I am pretty sure I don’t get $3 if I exchange £1. That seems blatantly unfair unless the option in the US was more expensive than in the UK - which I don’t think it was
Because their actuaries have determined that is the amount most British Taycan owners are willing swallow. No different than car pricing - a fair price is a price customers are willing to pay (which differs from country to country, sometimes by quite a lot).
Sponsored