2021 Taycan Review Motortrend

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I also found this quote from the article hilarious:
We are also less than enthralled with the brake tuning. The Taycan has has little to no deceleration when off-throttle, and the one-pedal driving modes do little to slow the car. "The choices are off, on, and auto, and I can feel no difference between them," technical director Frank Markus said.
Clearly doesn't know how to review the car.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
At an average of 19MPH no wonder. I have 10,000 miles, avg speed 27mph and 3.1 Kwh
It's a valid point. I have done a few road trips that were mainly superhighway miles, but the vast majority of my mileage has been "combined" driving. In the stop-and-go, around town, I typically don't try to get to the next obvious stop at maximum speed. However, on the express routes with speeds over 40 mph, I do enjoy the ability to get up to speed very quickly, especially when I'm in pole position or leading the pack.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
The reviewer clearly wanted a Tesla. Range and one pedal breaking are all they really cared about it seems.

The irony is the the Taycan and soon the Lucid are the fastest road trip cars out there.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I view Motor Trend as no different than Consumer Reports. They give favorable results to those that pay more for their review/services. The sad thing is that people think that these are truly independent reviews and their sponsorship dollars don't play a role into their reviews and they are only in business to inform the consumer with unbiased reviews.....it is simply not the case and yet some people still believe that paid sponsors have zero impact on their reviews.

gelkad

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3 Touring, Taycan Turbo, 992 Turbo S
Country flag
Totally incorrect, I get 3.1 to 3.3 on my Taycan Turbo 2020

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I view Motor Trend as no different than Consumer Reports. They give favorable results to those that pay more for their review/services. The sad thing is that people think that these are truly independent reviews and their sponsorship dollars don't play a role into their reviews and they are only in business to inform the consumer with unbiased reviews.....it is simply not the case and yet some people still believe that paid sponsors have zero impact on their reviews.
You must have meant something other than Consumer Reports. Consumers Union, the non-profit organization that publishes Consumer Reports, has never accepted advertising or other funding related to the products they review. They purchase all their test vehicles as anonymous consumers.

jvdsanden

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BMK-inkoop.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Taycan CT4S and Tesla M3 oreon
Country flag
Mine 3.8 over 4800 miles.
Thanks, this is when you drive normal? I reached with my Tesla also around 3,8miles/kWh.
I understand when you always want to be the first at the traffic lights, you will drive more inefficiently.
But thanks for the confirmation that if you drive normal you can reach higher efficiency.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Thanks, this is when you drive normal? I reached with my Tesla also around 3,8miles/kWh.
I understand when you always want to be the first at the traffic lights, you will drive more inefficiently.
But thanks for the confirmation that if you drive normal you can reach higher efficiency.
90% Normal mode, 5% Range, 5% Sport. Airco always on. Dynamic but not aggressive driving style. Even with normal acceleration a Taycan usually is the first off the traffic lights…

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Its NOT the average speed but rather how fast you accelerate to that speed.
Yes I know. But my average was achieved by driving on French motorways that did not have heavy traffic, so little acceleration needed. The legal speed limit is 130 km/h (82 miles per hour). Stop about every 1 hour 45 minutes or so to stretch legs, coffee and charging. Saw very little benefit in switching to range mode, only a few extra kilometres range. Mostly in normal mode with ACC engaged if any traffic occurred. Plus cabin temp at 21 and 21.5 degrees C. No gloves or seat heating used.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Lazy, bad journalism. You have Motortrend saying the Taycan is the most inefficient EV and Edmunds saying it has 320+ mi range, two opposite ends of the spectrum and both equally incompetent & irresponsible.

I don’t love C&D but man do Motortrend & Edmunds make it look good.
21st Century journalism is pure junk.
Sponsored