4 vs 4s rolling acceleration times

danp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85D, Model 3 LR
Country flag
Starting to warm up to the Taycan (probably CT) to replace my 2015 Model S P85D. What I've realized over the years of driving that is that off the line acceleration has become much less important/relevant that rolling acceleration, from 30 and up. Wondering how the Taycan variants stack up, in particular the 4 vs the 4s, but I can only find this info for the Turbo and Turbo S.

Anyone know of any videos or road tests that might help me decide whether the 4s is worth the extra $$ for the rolling acceleration?
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
both cars are fast enough, buy as much car as you can afford.

OP
OP

danp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
both cars are fast enough, buy as much car as you can afford.
It's more of a question of what the best value for the money is, vs what I can afford. But I suppose when it comes to Porsche, buying what you can afford / YOLO-ing it is actually the right advice. 😂

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
Starting to warm up to the Taycan (probably CT) to replace my 2015 Model S P85D. What I've realized over the years of driving that is that off the line acceleration has become much less important/relevant that rolling acceleration, from 30 and up. Wondering how the Taycan variants stack up, in particular the 4 vs the 4s, but I can only find this info for the Turbo and Turbo S.

Anyone know of any videos or road tests that might help me decide whether the 4s is worth the extra $$ for the rolling acceleration?
30-50mph: P85D: 1.6s Taycan: 1.9s Taycan 4s: 1.7s
50-70mph: P85D: 2.6s Taycan: 2.6s Taycan 4s: 2.1s

All numbers from Car and Driver. Once rolling, even a base Taycan is pretty quick. Above 50mph, 2nd gear really helps.

Btw, the P85D numbers are from the end of the 40k mile test. New the numbers were 1.9/2.9s.

Last edited:
OP
OP

danp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

All numbers from Car and Driver. Once rolling, even a base Taycan is pretty quick. Above 50mph, 2nd gear really helps.

Btw, the P85D numbers are from the end of the 40k mile test. New the numbers were 1.9/2.9s.
Thanks! Are these times online somewhere? Don't see them in the test articles, perhaps you need a C&D subscription? If so, any chance they might also have the same numbers for the new Model S Plaid and Long Range, for comparison?

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
Thanks! Are these times online somewhere? Don't see them in the test articles, perhaps you need a C&D subscription? If so, any chance they might also have the same numbers for the new Model S Plaid and Long Range, for comparison?
All online on the C&D website w/o subscription.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag

Are these the times for the RWD? The 4CT is a bit faster 0-100 than the RWD (5.1 vs 5.4 seconds) and almost comparable times 80-120 km/h with the 4S.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

I've been looking to replace my 2015 P85D with Ludicrous upgrade and sport plus suspension. I test drove the 4S on a couple of occasions. While the handling was great and off-the-line acceleration was fine, even the 4S definitely felt slower on the highway accelerations (plus the jarring gear shift which were not fun either, though greatly improved between when the Taycan first came out and my most recent test drive last year). When floored, it felt noticeably slower in the 40mph+ ranges. This is why I'm stuck waiting for a Turbo CT (coming up on a year, still no allocation).

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's more of a question of what the best value for the money is,
if you want to be in an EV and you are looking for value, a nissan leaf would suffice

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Such a welcoming community here.
I have a 4S sedan. For me, it was the sweet spot, with plenty of power off the line and for passing. Of course, I went crazy with options, but as you mentioned YOLO. IMO all of these cars are fast with plenty of passing power. If you can afford it then just get what will make you happy. I'm firmly in the "no regrets" group when spending this much money on a vehicle.

OP
OP

danp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've been looking to replace my 2015 P85D with Ludicrous upgrade and sport plus suspension. I test drove the 4S on a couple of occasions. While the handling was great and off-the-line acceleration was fine, even the 4S definitely felt slower on the highway accelerations (plus the jarring gear shift which were not fun either, though greatly improved between when the Taycan first came out and my most recent test drive last year). When floored, it felt noticeably slower in the 40mph+ ranges. This is why I'm stuck waiting for a Turbo CT (coming up on a year, still no allocation).
That's disappointing but super helpful, thanks. My P85D is also the 2015 with the sport plus suspension, and even though it's 7 years later, I'm finding it hard to find something to replace it with that doesn't have a bunch of tradeoffs, isn't another Model S, or doesn't cost 2X.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's disappointing but super helpful, thanks. My P85D is also the 2015 with the sport plus suspension, and even though it's 7 years later, I'm finding it hard to find something to replace it with that doesn't have a bunch of tradeoffs, isn't another Model S, or doesn't cost 2X.
if costs are a concern you are in the wrong place, there are now many EVs that cost far less than a taycan and are very decent vehicles that you can buy to replace your model S.

the taycan is more expensive than most EVs just like porsche ICE cars are more expensive than other ICE cars.

people who are interested in owning Pcars are a bit less sensitive to the cost of the car.
Sponsored