NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Finally charged my MY20 last night. I have a time-of-use rate plan so cheapest electricity from 9pm to 6am. I have a 40A 240V charger connection and PMCC set for 32A charging current - plenty to recharge in that 9 hour window. I have only the general charging profile, it is not enabled (not active). I have a timer set for 6am M-F and 8am Sat-Sun with target charge 85%.

Plugged in at 8:14 pm, car determined it needed to start at 1:25am and car and PMCC obediently waited until 1:25am. Car hit 85% target right on schedule at 5:59am and stopped charging at 6. As of 8:17 I have not unplugged the car and it is not charging past 85%.
Porsche Taycan Always charging to 100% Screenshot 2021-02-17 081101
Sponsored

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Owning Teslas for the last 8 years and now added a Taycan, charging profiles are a nightmare, Porsche should go simple as Tesla,
1-plug the car
2- on the battery icon charging just slide the level of charging desire
3- you can schedule the charging and the speed of charging if you like
NO need to read the manual or going to a forum for something so simple to do.
After Tesla been out for so many years, this complex settings to do simple things are unacceptable, IPad intuitive way to use is how a car should be.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Owning Teslas for the last 8 years and now added a Taycan, charging profiles are a nightmare, Porsche should go simple as Tesla,
1-plug the car
2- on the battery icon charging just slide the level of charging desire
3- you can schedule the charging and the speed of charging if you like
NO need to read the manual or going to a forum for something so simple to do.
After Tesla been out for so many years, this complex settings to do simple things are unacceptable, IPad intuitive way to use is how a car should be.
Amen.

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
Getting really fed up with it charging to 100%. Sometimes it charges to 80% or whatever I set, but more often than not even though I go through timers, profiles making sure it's all set correctly and then double check (well I actually triple checked last night) I wake up and the car has charged itself to 100%.

This is really annoying as I had no reason to use the car for the next few days. Now I am going to have to find journeys to take it out on just to run the battery down.

Should I take it back to the dealer? Or is there something else to look into?

Daniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Getting really fed up with it charging to 100%. Sometimes it charges to 80% or whatever I set, but more often than not even though I go through timers, profiles making sure it's all set correctly and then double check (well I actually triple checked last night) I wake up and the car has charged itself to 100%.

This is really annoying as I had no reason to use the car for the next few days. Now I am going to have to find journeys to take it out on just to run the battery down.

Should I take it back to the dealer? Or is there something else to look into?
I had the same problem before, solved now; perhaps it's the same for you ?

Here is an exemple:
Your timer is set to get 80% at 7h30 am , with no active profile in background.
At 7h30 the battery charge will be 80 %
But if you don't unplug the car, at 8h00 the charge will restart to the maximun .... strange but that is Porsche logic ...
The only way to avoid this result is to set a profile , active, with favorites charging hours from 1h00 (for example) to 7h30

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had the same problem before, solved now; perhaps it's the same for you ?

Here is an exemple:
Your timer is set to get 80% at 7h30 am , with no active profile in background.
At 7h30 the battery charge will be 80 %
But if you don't unplug the car, at 8h00 the charge will restart to the maximun .... strange but that is Porsche logic ...
The only way to avoid this result is to set a profile , active, with favorites charging hours from 1h00 (for example) to 7h30
I'm not sure if you saw my earlier post in this thread, but you can't use Timers and Profiles together, otherwise the car will charge to 100%. You use one or the other.

Check out the video at this link to see how this works.

UPDATE-Well, I went through the process again, and it turns out I was wrong! You can use Timers and Profikes together. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I'm not sure if you saw my earlier post in this thread, but you can't use Timers and Profiles together, otherwise the car will charge to 100%. You use one or the other.

My profile is set to charge to 40% if the car is below that. My timer is set to charge the car to 80% by 7AM. They work great together and I get the exact result I am expecting.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I found in the ‘21 Good To Know manual that the timer will charge to the set SoC and then continue to 100% if not unplugged after 30 mins of the timer end (copied extract below). I tried this on Sunday and it seemed to be holding at 88% for an 85% ahead of the finish time. When I unplugged and got in the SoC had pared back to 86%. I’m planning to test this again tonight. Is anyone experiencing the overcharge leaving the timer-based charge in place for more than the 30 mins after the timer end?

Ending charging with the timer
Vehicle plug inserted.
Timer function activated.
  1. Press the release button.
    High-voltage battery charging stops.
  2. If charging is ongoing, wait until the ring has disappeared from the release button.
If the vehicle plug remains inserted for more than 30 minutes after the timer has expired, the high-voltage battery is charged up to a maximum charge state of 100 %.
This only applies if you have a single charging event programmed. If you have it on repeat then charging will pause waiting on the next timer event.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Sorry that's nonsense.

I've used a profile and timer since day 1 (almost 2 years now).

I have 2 location based profiles and 1 timer set for where I regularly charge.

Always charge to 85% without issue and never overcharges.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
This true, but the charging time for that last 5% - 10% also degrades the battery. Exactly how much - not sure, and we may not know with this particular battery set-up, and you may not realize any capacity loss over the first 2-3 years.

My counter point - what's wrong with charging to 85% except when you need 100%?
Have you seen @Dee 's findings how SoH changed after he started to charge to 100%?

Last edited:

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry that's nonsense.

I've used a profile and timer since day 1 (almost 2 years now).

I have 2 location based profiles and 1 timer set for where I regularly charge.

Always charge to 85% without issue and never overcharges.
Well, I went through the process again, and it turns out I was wrong!

Sorry for the confusion.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Well, I went through the process again, and it turns out I was wrong!

Sorry for the confusion.
Some people cannot do this. Good on you. We’re all human.
Sponsored