louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
You aren’t the first person to break that cord. (Or maybe it’s getting hung up on something sharp in there?)

I guess I’ve been lucky. I’ve used mine twice. But yes, it’s best to just leave the j1772 plugged in while “waking the car from a deep sleep”.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I was pretty proud of myself, until I realized that I should have just waited to power up the car and eject the plug the normal way...because that emergency cord-pull mechanism is a "use once" thing. Porsche has to order a replacement part. Not too big a deal, but I now have a cord hanging in the space along the inside of door jamb for the time being.
I've not had the experience that it's a "use once" thing - and I don't think that's it's intention - it should be warranty for that to be replaced - I also specifically asked my service manger as to if "service visit is required" after use - and he indicated emphatically no - they only recommend a service visit not because used the cord - but because you had to use the cord that might be an indication of a broken charge port, not the use of the manual release.

if you are visiting your service dealer and they tell you use of the manual release requires a service visit post-release I would love to hear that so I can discuss with my service manager. There is confusion here, and that concerns me.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
OK - here is the report from local dealer service. My VIN is not part of the WLE3 service notice (to replace 12V battery). 12V battery *appears* to be functioning normally. Something (TBD, by me, I suppose) caused the battery to drain - even though I would have thought by locking doors it would shut down all ancillary draws. I have an old 2004 BMW 325xiT that used to have a parasitic electrical draw - was the most annoying issue but could at least be solved easily with jumper cables and a trunk-accessible battery. BMW finally figured it out and fixed it several years later - was a radio issue (even with radio off). The challenge with the Taycan is the need for a multi-step process if the 12V system is totally dead. It's a little intimidating to be staring at the outside of this beautiful new car and think you might screw it up with occasional DIY electrical "re-boots." But I suppose I'll get used to it.

Will be buying both a beefy 12V stand-alone jump-start unit (for the potential fuse-jump/terminal jump process with a totally dead car - I need a new one anyway for all cars) and a 12V LI battery trickle unit.

Get the Taycan back this afternoon. Should be a fun, fast weekend.
For the 12v stand-alone jump start unit where you don’t have access to a plug, do you have a unit in mind? I keep searching and can’t find one that explicitly works with the lithium ion battery such as the one in the Taycan. I keep a battery booster in my car all the time now just in case (have used it on multiple occasions as I was having battery issues). Very handy.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
According to the owner's manual they aren't too hung up on the type of jump battery. They do want you to use a Lithium Ion battery charger if needed.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
According to the owner's manual they aren't too hung up on the type of jump battery. They do want you to use a Lithium Ion battery charger if needed.
The Good to Know app suggests you need a booster that works with a LiFePO4 battery. I can’t seem to find one easily. My previous Genius one isn’t recommended. Here is the screenshot from the app:
Porsche Taycan Another 12V issue 2A55A828-3D08-47AB-907E-C9870CDF5A3D

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not to repeat others, but had a major 12V issue this morning. Taycan last driven 3 days ago. Overnight timer set for 85% max at 7am. no issues at all so far with mobile charger with 40A max. 385 total miles....should mention, very fun miles!

Go to car in morning All dark. Locked, so learned how to manually open door. Learned how to release charger connection manually on passenger side (who knew there was a string involved?). Porsche roadside contractor and I learned together how to jump the fuse panel in order to get enough juice for the frunk to open. Put the charger on the 12V terminals up front...and like magic, everything lites up inside. “Low 12V warning” on the display,, but otherwise fine.

Had them take the car to dealership to evaluate. My theory is some software sequence Is setting up an electrical drain on the 12V system. The modern day equivalent of leaving the lights on overnight in my 1972 240Z which would have the same net effect.

will post if I get any meaningful info from dealership.
I had a '72 240Z...louvers on the back. White with black wheels...so many good memories...pretty useless added comment on this thread but what the heck!

Last edited:

girish

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche macan; Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for a nice description. As you've said "another" 12V issue I'm guessing you're familiar with louv's thread. Do you know if your car has the software updates and new 12V battery?

I guess these are the problems with buying a completely new car design. Still a bit disappointing.

OP
OP
MN_taycan

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 Audi S7, 1972 Datsun 240Z
Country flag
I've not had the experience that it's a "use once" thing - and I don't think that's it's intention - it should be warranty for that to be replaced - I also specifically asked my service manger as to if "service visit is required" after use - and he indicated emphatically no - they only recommend a service visit not because used the cord - but because you had to use the cord that might be an indication of a broken charge port, not the use of the manual release.

if you are visiting your service dealer and they tell you use of the manual release requires a service visit post-release I would love to hear that so I can discuss with my service manager. There is confusion here, and that concerns me.
My issue is that the cord is hanging down, and doesn't retract? Maybe user error on my part.

The service manager told me it would be covered, but that they needed to order a new one. I will talk to them either tomorrow or next week. Either way, not currently impacting driving or charging...just a bit odd.

OP
OP
MN_taycan

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had a '72 240Z...louvers on the back. White with black wheels...so many good memories...pretty useless added comment on this thread but what the heck!
Never a bad call to reference a 240Z. I love mine. Both cars super fun, but couldn't be more different.
Porsche Taycan Another 12V issue IMG_3553 (1)

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
My issue is that the cord is hanging down, and doesn't retract? Maybe user error on my part.

The service manager told me it would be covered, but that they needed to order a new one. I will talk to them either tomorrow or next week. Either way, not currently impacting driving or charging...just a bit odd.
I “fed” the cord back into the hole - not a fun task - but it appeared to work the next 2 times I used it - but yeah it doesn’t retract on it’s own - not sure that means it’s broken. But it is a mystery - we could use some more guidance on this component.

OP
OP
MN_taycan

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I “fed” the cord back into the hole - not a fun task - but it appeared to work the next 2 times I used it - but yeah it doesn’t retract on it’s own - not sure that means it’s broken. But it is a mystery - we could use some more guidance on this component.
Ah, ok - that makes sense. I’ll post what I hear back from local dealer. I believe they have 1 guy that has all the Taycan training...the other folks seem far less knowledgeable.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
My previous post was based on this wording from the owner's manual P. 285 on jumping 12 V battery:

General Safety Notices
The 12-volt lithium battery is automatically disconnected
from the vehicle electrical system if the battery
charge condition is low. When the 12 V lithium
battery is discharged, it is impossible to operate the
vehicle. The electrical system is deactivated
temporarily.
-Pay attention to the warning.
Charging the 12 V lithium battery:
-Establishing operational readiness.
-Please see chapter "Starting, driving and
stopping the vehicle" on page 231.
– or –
-Charging the 12 V battery using the charger.
– or –
-Feed electricity in from another vehicle for at
least 5 minutes.
Then establish operational readiness or charge
the 12 V battery using the charger.
After establishing operational readiness, charge the
12 V lithium battery with a charger (for at least 10
minutes) or feeding in electricity from an external
source, the electrical system will be automatically
reactivated. The 12-volt lithium battery is automatically
connected to the vehicle electrical supply
again.

Using a jumper cable, the battery of another vehicle
can be used to feed electricity into the vehicle. Both
batteries must have a nominal voltage level of 12
volts. The capacity (Ah) of the donor battery must
not be substantially less than that of the flat battery.
The discharged 12 V lithium battery must be connected
properly to the vehicle electrical system.
The need to repeatedly feed in electricity from an
external source or charge the 12 V lithium battery
under normal operating conditions may indicate that
the 12 V lithium battery is damaged.
-Never attach jumper cables or a charger directly
to the 12 V lithium battery.

OP
OP
MN_taycan

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok- been scanning other threads and think I have at least a potential cause for my 12V battery drain/shutdown. I was merrily deleting profiles on my app in the evening while the Taycan was plugged in. I had set some profiles up...but with a timer set up every day for 85% at 7:00am via mobile charger and the car generally plugged in overnight, didn’t see the need for profiles. Anyway, seems that futzing with charging settings while charging is a no-no. Now that I’m down to just the single timer and no profiles, hopefully won’t happen again. Porsche service still thinks they need to replace my manual charger eject pull cord (although it isn’t damaged...just hanging in the door jamb) so I’ll update forum when I go through that process. Happy motoring!

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Thanks for the update. I think I'll get a lithium charger and keep it handy just in case.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Does this not just boil down to simply using the on/off button when switching off the car and before locking it? Maybe too simplistic but looking through these issues on the forum, it seems to be largely US cars that are impacted. Unless I am mistaken I have not heard of anyone in Europe having this issue but I am wandering whether its just how people switch off the car after use vs an actual issue with the car/components of it?
Sponsored