Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
So, I know this has been discussed at length so I’ll keep it brief. A few opinions about my Taycan base loaner compared to my 2023 Sedan GTS (151k sticker) , I couldn’t find the sticker on base loaner but I think it’s new as it has 5k miles.

- The Michelin pilot sports give a noticeably softer ride compared to my all season continentals

- The loaner has no air suspension , it feels like I’m sitting in an SUV compared to my car, it sits very high

- handling and ride quality is very good, GTS is definitely more “sporty” and feels way more planted , you can feel the lower COG

- The car has an even torque band, but lacks punch from 70mph on , no sport chrono

- The base seats and dash lack leather, the interior did not feel premium at all

-Holy 💩, I didn’t realize how much I love a heated steering wheel and really like my electric steering column vs manual

-It has the 20” sport aero wheels, I certainly notice the car is more efficient due to smaller wheels and being less powerful

-one thing I’m amazed at in my car is how air tight it is , the road noise is insane in this car , not sure if it’s the tires or if it lacks the thermally noise insulation option

-I really enjoy the GTS accents and the mission E wheels, the car looks like an exotic, this car looks a bit flat

-I feel the lack of RWS, RWS is extremely maneuverable In tight spaces

- I don’t have night vision (not sure if that’s what it’s called), I find it annoying - can probably shut it off

I don’t know the exact sticker on this car, but I’d imagine it’s north of 100k. Personally, it doesn’t feel like a 100k car. It’s amazing how the “same” car looks and feels so entirely different

If you’re in the market , definitely drive a few models as they all feel VERY different . Hey, if you’re spending 100K+ on a car I’m thinking you’d want more than 1990’s acceleration too….

Overall Decent car , but lacked to many visual cues and HP I would demand for a 6 figure car , with this overall package given price I found it a but underwhelming
Sponsored

Last edited:

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
It's amazing how the cars look the same to most people, but one looks like an exotic and the other "flat". Maybe some insecurity is in play here.

StevenB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Taycan RWD
Country flag
It looks like you definitely picked the right car for you ! I'm impressed you would feel such a massive difference in ride height as (other than by changing the setting) I would be unable to tell whether my air suspension is in the lowest or highest setting doing regular driving. As for the looks, with mission E wheels (optional on all models) no one really sees any difference between a RWD and a Turbo S on the outside, exactly the same awesome look.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
It looks like you definitely picked the right car for you ! I'm impressed you would feel such a massive difference in ride height as (other than by changing the setting) I would be unable to tell whether my air suspension is in the lowest or highest setting doing regular driving. As for the looks, with mission E wheels (optional on all models) no one really sees any difference between a RWD and a Turbo S on the outside, exactly the same awesome look.
Regarding the ride heights. My TST feels very very different in Range, Normal, Sports and Sport+ (realise some of this is due to the suspension changing settings as well as height). Range in particular, mainly as I use it on longer motorway journeys, is quite a bumpy feel imo. Sitting high like an SUV is an odd comment though, the Taycan feels nothing like that, on mine or the loaner RWD's I've had. The RWD on springs does feel very different to drive though. I am not sure it feels worse, but certainly different

StevenB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Regarding the ride heights. My TST feels very very different in Range, Normal, Sports and Sport+ (realise some of this is due to the suspension changing settings as well as height). Range in particular, mainly as I use it on longer motorway journeys, is quite a bumpy feel imo. Sitting high like an SUV is an odd comment though, the Taycan feels nothing like that, on mine or the loaner RWD's I've had. The RWD on springs does feel very different to drive though. I am not sure it feels worse, but certainly different
You are absolutely right, I fully agree that the suspension settings make a big difference (and therefore I prefer the air suspension) but the difference in ride height between the settings is hardly noticeable to me. That is unless I take a speed bump too fast and bottom out with the front spoiler :)

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
You are absolutely right, I fully agree that the suspension settings make a big difference (and therefore I prefer the air suspension) but the difference in ride height between the settings is hardly noticeable to me. That is unless I take a speed bump too fast and bottom out with the front spoiler :)
Exactly. It keeps the car flatter and I do feel it 'hunker down ' (technical term :CWL: ), but I don't feel higher on the road. Especially not next to the massive SUV's when at a roundabout or something

OP
OP
Redhot2474

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
It's amazing how the cars look the same to most people, but one looks like an exotic and the other "flat". Maybe some insecurity is in play here.
Little things like the wheels (I love), sideskirts, different front /rear fascia , larger wheels to feel out wheel wells, color of a car , car height etc all make a big difference in look of a car , 🤷‍♂️

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Gotta love the superiority complex that some Porsche owners develop for their model and options of choice. While we all have differences in terms of the aesthetics elements of the Taycan that elicit that special emotional response, the car is mechanically 85%+ the same regardless of model/options. That last 15% is part of ”tailoring the suit” to meet your specific needs/preferences.

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I had a base loaner today while my 4S CT was getting the windshield replaced. Similar thoughts to yours although I came away impressed from the base:

- Fun RWD only was ready to be squirrelly at times
- Noticeably lighter (less one motor, sedan variant, no air suspension)
- The suspension was tuned really well! Felt great and comfortable with the proper dampening for sporty driving and just cruising.
- It’s not “fast” but it’s still no slouch
- I totally missed RWS. Nearly overshot my driveway backing in 😂
- This one had the 21” Mission E wheels which definitely helped with superior handling feel

I came away saying I’d recommend that model to anyone looking for a solid, fun DD. Only downside was as a 2024 model the sticker was almost 120k. For a base. 🤯

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
- The Michelin pilot sports give a noticeably softer ride compared to my all season continentals
I would not attribute the softer ride to the tire brand but more to 1- 20 inch vs 21 inch tires 2- softer suspension set-up of the entire range vs GTS. Also many people underestimate how good Taycan's steel suspension is until they drive one and when they do they assume "the comfort must be coming from something else".

Also on the "visual cues" point. I think 90% of what you are talking about has something to do with Mission Es vs other small bits and pieces. They just change the car so much and make it look way sportier than any other 20 or 21 inch wheel.

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
So, I know this has been discussed at length so I’ll keep it brief. A few opinions about my Taycan base loaner compared to my 2023 Sedan GTS (151k sticker) , I couldn’t find the sticker on base loaner but I think it’s new as it has 5k miles.

- The loaner has no air suspension , it feels like I’m sitting in an SUV compared to my car, it sits very high

- handling and ride quality is very good, GTS is definitely more “sporty” and feels way more planted , you can feel the lower COG

- The car has an even torque band, but lacks punch from 70mph on , no sport chrono

- The base seats and dash lack leather, the interior did not feel premium at all

-Holy 💩, I didn’t realize how much I love a heated steering wheel and really like my electric steering column vs manual

-It has the 20” sport aero wheels, I certainly notice the car is more efficient due to smaller wheels and being less powerful

-one thing I’m amazed at in my car is how air tight it is , the road noise is insane in this car , not sure if it’s the tires or if it lacks the thermally noise insulation option

-I really enjoy the GTS accents and the mission E wheels, the car looks like an exotic, this car looks a bit flat

-I feel the lack of RWS, RWS is extremely maneuverable In tight spaces

- I don’t have night vision (not sure if that’s what it’s called), I find it annoying - can probably shut it off

I don’t know the exact sticker on this car, but I’d imagine it’s north of 100k. Personally, it doesn’t feel like a 100k car. It’s amazing how the “same” car looks and feels so entirely different

If you’re in the market , definitely drive a few models as they all feel VERY different . Hey, if you’re spending 100K+ on a car I’m thinking you’d want more than 1990’s acceleration too….

Overall Decent car , but lacked to many visual cues and HP I would demand for a 6 figure car , with this overall package given price I found it a but underwhelming
See also this other comparison: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...e-model-loaner-comparison-observations.18687/

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had a base loaner today while my 4S CT was getting the windshield replaced. Similar thoughts to yours although I came away impressed from the base:

- Fun RWD only was ready to be squirrelly at times
- Noticeably lighter (less one motor, sedan variant, no air suspension)
- The suspension was tuned really well! Felt great and comfortable with the proper dampening for sporty driving and just cruising.
- It’s not “fast” but it’s still no slouch
- I totally missed RWS. Nearly overshot my driveway backing in 😂
- This one had the 21” Mission E wheels which definitely helped with superior handling feel

I came away saying I’d recommend that model to anyone looking for a solid, fun DD. Only downside was as a 2024 model the sticker was almost 120k. For a base. 🤯
A lot of car reviewers will say they prefer the base Taycan out of all of them on the basis of it having "enough" power, being lighter and having only RWD.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
A lot of car reviewers will say they prefer the base Taycan out of all of them on the basis of it having "enough" power, being lighter and having only RWD.
Yeah, I'd say its split maybe 80/20 with about 20% of reviewers saying its underpowered for the price. Then again, there's always a Porsche premium when comparing any Porsche to many of its competitors. In a weird way, I kinda like how spartan a base Porsche can be....reminds me of how all German cars used to be back in the 70s and 80s. Anyone remember what a Mercedes W124 interior was like? Well built but very spartan. You'd get vinyl seats and a basic radio for the equivalent of 100k today. Now Mercedes and BMWs feel like stepping in to a night club or something.

superflytnt

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had a 4S with Mission-E wheels and now have a GTS with Aero wheels. I miss my Mission-E's for the look, but the ride is way comfy with the Aero setup. I also haven't had any flats yet with my Aero's. I had flats all the time with my Mission-E's - replaced 5 tires in 2 years (hitting the edges of potholes and such).
Sponsored