Basic spec 4S - What options are a must have?

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Have you looked at a base Turbo instead of a loaded 4S? On a lease, the Turbo isn't that much more expensive than a high spec 4S. You may still need to spec some options, but there's much more stuff as standard. Right now I'm around £150/month more for the Turbo than the 4S but with a bunch of stuff for "free", like Sport seats, full leather, metallic paint that would have been another £100/month on the 4S anyway.
Not an option for me. Only the 4s is on the company car list.
Sponsored

OP
OP

George-eed

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GT4, BMW X4,
Country flag
Thanks for the replies so far, some food for thought here.

Not sure if I’m correct but I thought the heated front seats and folding mirrors are now standard on MY 21? With regards to auto dimming lights, I have them on the GT4 and I Know I can definitely live without them. Sport Chrono and bigger wheels will have to be given a miss I’m afraid.
Will seriously consider the sport sound though. As I said I am having to be really tight with the options in order to keep it to an absolute max of 90k and the performance battery virtually takes care of that alone!

I will have a final play on the configurator over the weekend and lick the spec in on Monday morning.

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
Heated front seats are now standard on the MY21 model. Folding mirrors are not though, sadly.
However! The MY21 model does come with a wireless charging pad in the UK now.

Definitely have a test drive with the sports sound option on it. It will quickly convert you!

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
The only 'Must have' options i can think of are the bigger battery, auto dimming mirrors and parking sensors.

I love my 21" wheels, glass roof and sports sound. Everything else I could live without. Even the standard half leather interior is nice. I feel a 100K car should have full leather but like you I had to draw the line somewhere. The interior worried me, but the standard interior feels nice and doesnt let the car down.

Almost everything else is personal preference. One persons essential is another persons unnecessary..

I.e. Most seem to have electric charge port covers. Its not even on my list of important items. Charge cables are ugly things. Having a flap sticking out of the car whilst charging is irrelevant to me. But for many the 'coolness' makes it a must have.

Maybe its easier to say what I definitely wouldn't add

360 degree camera. Terrible. Not worth the money. Hope they fix it
PCCBS's - Good on my GT4, but on a 2.2 ton 4s?
Passenger screen - Really cool - But passengers messing annoy me :)
4 Zone climate - Who cares about the guys in the back
Just finished speccing mine and agree 100% with the "definitely wouldn't add" stuff

Silverback

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Model 3 Perf.
Country flag
Hi All
I have just ordered a 4S which is an October build and i need to lock down the spec quickly. This will be a company car and I am having to work to a very strict budget. This is strange for me as a long term Porsche buyer i am used to ticking lots of options but realistically its only the tax benefits and my man maths that has brought the Taycan into the equation so i am having to be very strict. My spec is basically consisting of metallic paint, performance battery and parking sensors but is there anything else that you would deem a must have and that in your opinion i would regret by not adding it now?

Thanks for your help
George
Interesting thread. I ordered my 4s through work on the UK Salary sacrifice scheme. I started looking at Tesla’s and an iPace, I had to work the ‘man maths’ to convince the wife that the 4s is the best option. Management approval did not include a great list of options, options for me were the battery upgrade and privacy glass. That is it. For me having a brand new Porsche Taycan is amazing, so options I can live without, if you couldn’t they would be standard. Even window winders would have been fine. However, I ticked and unticked the alloy upgrade many times and although I have not got the car yet I wish I had gone for the alloys, but my logic was you can always buy a set and then sell them at the end if I need to, but to be honest I probably won’t.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Taycan 4S due for delivery December. Bought through my own company as works out cheaper than a BMW M340i in the UK due to tax breaks.
I think must have is 360 degree cameras as it’s impossible to see out of the back and the car is enormous for us Brits.
Luckily heated seats now standard.
I have ticked sports sound, but if you are likely to listen to the audio mostly, you could leave this.
Bose is expensive, but I think a must.
And i think you will regret not upgrading the 19’’ storm trooper wheels every time you walk toward your new car. Spec normal black paint and you are half way there.
And obviously bigger battery.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
You guys in the UK get a pretty sweet deal on Taycans compared to over here in Switzerland. Especially if you can get it as a company car! Amazing.

I was planning to go pretty minimal with the options but ended up getting a bit tick-happy when the final configuration was done and cost myself 33k CHF in options (and that was without even adding that much).

Not received it yet, delivery in October, but depending on what the standard UK spec is, I think the key options are the bigger battery, non-standard wheels, and the 2+1 seat option so you get the ski hatch between the seats.

For options that aren't too £££: it's worth noting is that the storage pack makes the space under the lower climate control etc screen usable for storing your sunglasses or whatever, which I think would annoy me if I didn't add. There is also a no-cost option to make the door sill guards black matte aluminium, and model designation removal is also no-cost if you care about that. Black window surround is also not expensive and looks quite a lot better than the silver.

(I also ended up adding rear wheel steering, Bose stereo, comfort access, full leather, 18-way seats, volcano grey, privacy glass, ambient lighting, darksilver accents, heated steering wheel, lane change assist, Innodrive, electrically folding mirrors, sport sound. Didn't get sport chrono because I don't like the clock, and you have to stop somewhere... but feel I might regret not having the GT steering wheel and mode selector knob)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The only 'Must have' options i can think of are the bigger battery, auto dimming mirrors and parking sensors.

I love my 21" wheels, glass roof and sports sound. Everything else I could live without. Even the standard half leather interior is nice. I feel a 100K car should have full leather but like you I had to draw the line somewhere. The interior worried me, but the standard interior feels nice and doesnt let the car down.

Almost everything else is personal preference. One persons essential is another persons unnecessary..
Must must must option is RWS unless you live on a ranch and never drive into town with more than 10k inhabitants.

Must option is battery+ if you care about range!

Must option is PTV+ if you like to take corners above speed limit.

I have all three, and would not buy it without.

Everything else is personal preference and mostly taste.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...Didn't get sport chrono because I don't like the clock, and you have to stop somewhere... but feel I might regret not having the GT steering wheel and mode selector knob)
That is well loaded with options! Congrats!

Almost identical to my car except InnoDrive, is not available in China.

Don't worry about Chrono, you'll love the car without. :)

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Wow, this thread just goes to show that Porsche's expansive options list is probably not as crazy as it appears - looks like people have radically different ideas of "must-have" options!
For me, it's the only the standard 4S 19" aero wheels I couldn't live with - oh, and maybe un-painted mirrors on a light-coloured car (that still really annoys me that you have to pay for that), everything else is just a nicety.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
The thread was for must have.
I did actually add racetex heated steering wheel (recommendation by Thomas on Autogefuhl), internal disco lights as blue inside looks great with Gentian blue exterior, 150kw on board DC charging pack (should be standard) because I want every ability to charge at the highest speeds. comfort seats which give full leather and memory pack (my wife’s driving position is very different to mine). Folding mirrors because the car is so wide. Adaptive steering, my dealer said I should not be without it (we will see). Glass roof because you cannot have roof bars without and I have had Audi estates for years (also specced roof bars); looking forward to sending pictures of a non SUV Porsche with mountain bikes or a roof box.
Security glass and normal window surrounds to create contrast.
20’’ Turbo Aero wheels and electric charger doors because of the theatre- I had ordered the standard flaps, but changed my mind as it seemed unreasonable not to add them to a £99k car!

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
the feature here is not the “flap”, or the auto open - it’s the “auto-close” when you’re done - once you own an EV - you’re charging it every day over night - and therefore you are plugging it in and uplugging it every day - given the number of times I see people driving around with the gas flap open or even the entire cap off having driven away from the pumps and not finished closing up the fueling system - it seems it’s fairly common to drive off once “unplugged” with all this stuff still open rather than closed…

and yep - I see Chevy Volts, bolt and other EV driving around all the time with their EV charge ports “open”...

the auto-close feature is well worth the cost cause it means it’s a one step process to unplug the ccar and drive away and know that everything is done - it’s a small feature, but one that you will use on a daily basis and it’s also in the grand scheme of things not that costly - and down right cheap by Porsche standards

having lived with EV’s for 7 years - the use patterns are different and an auto-close charging port cover is one of life’s little pleasures.

Porsche calls the feature in the US

”Power Charge Port Cover”

not a single one of those 3 concepts words covey the value proposition of this feature
  • Power - yeah who cares
  • Charge Port - yeah I know it’s a charge port
  • Cover - duh?
no - the name of this $640 feature should be

Auto-close when you un-plug - and you do this EVERY DAY

$640 would fly out of everyone’s wallet - cause there are way more expensive options on that list that you’ll never use every day or even once a month…

just my $0.02
I didn't get it, and don't regret it. The side of the car looks better without the electric feature, which requires space for the door. Have I left the door open on occasion? Sure, but infrequently. It's the same thing as closing a gas tank cover.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I didn't get it, and don't regret it. The side of the car looks better without the electric feature, which requires space for the door. Have I left the door open on occasion? Sure, but infrequently. It's the same thing as closing a gas tank cover.
I did get it, but I kind of agree. In addition to the visual noise, I did not understand that the power door basically makes the side vent somewhat fake, because some component of the mechanism intrudes into a large portion of the vent. If the side vent serves any purpose whatsoever other than cosmetics, the power door compromises that purpose.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I have the power flaps, and there is definitely an air flow through the wing.
Sponsored