charging unit (e.g. pod-point etc) or basic commando socket?

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Hi folks, (apologies if this has been discussed before - I did search 1st)..... for AC charging at home...

If the standard 'mobile charger plus' cable-control box (I have learned not to call it a charger) - is designed to make the electricity supply safe and stable etc......

And the onboard 11kw charger actually charges the vehicle........

And the app/car software/laptop software controls and times the charging to suit a user defined profile....

Of what benefit/use is a wall mounted charging unit (like a pod point etc) compared to a bog-standard 32A commando socket?

Wouldn't it just duplicate existing capabilities supplied with the car?

Many thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I have just had a wall charger installed (Ok, electrical supply box or whatever you want to call it) because I expect it will be easier than getting the mobile charger out whenever I want to use it. I will just need to unwind the cable and plug in. There is also a load balancing function so that if other appliances are using too much energy it will scale back the charger so as not to trip a fuse. And it can also be used with solar, which I don’t have but am considering. It also looks better. Wasn’t cheap but I think it was worth doing. All I need now is my Taycan!

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
I have just had a wall charger installed (Ok, electrical supply box or whatever you want to call it) because I expect it will be easier than getting the mobile charger out whenever I want to use it. I will just need to unwind the cable and plug in. There is also a load balancing function so that if other appliances are using too much energy it will scale back the charger so as not to trip a fuse. And it can also be used with solar, which I don’t have but am considering. It also looks better. Wasn’t cheap but I think it was worth doing. All I need now is my Taycan!
Thanks Mr. M - Much appreciated.

1AX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T
Country flag
Hi folks, (apologies if this has been discussed before - I did search 1st)..... for AC charging at home...

If the standard 'mobile charger plus' cable-control box (I have learned not to call it a charger) - is designed to make the electricity supply safe and stable etc......

And the onboard 11kw charger actually charges the vehicle........

And the app/car software/laptop software controls and times the charging to suit a user defined profile....

Of what benefit/use is a wall mounted charging unit (like a pod point etc) compared to a bog-standard 32A commando socket?

Wouldn't it just duplicate existing capabilities supplied with the car?

Many thanks
Yes there is duplication and third-party EVSE is not a requirement.

If you plan to carry your mobile charger plus with you in the car for regularly charging 'in the wild' then a wall-fixed home supply will save you the hassle of getting it in/out of the bag in the car etc. If you don't plan to use it 'in the wild' (I would argue most people do not) then just leave the mobile charger attached to your wall at home, connected to a commando socket, and you're good-to-go. I have both a commando socket and a Rolec unit in my garage so have experienced both options.

Third party EVSE usually sells itself by promoting 'smart' features such as the ability to set timers and remote charge monitoring but in the case of the Taycan the same monitoring and timers can be set in the car itself, or by using the Porsche Connect app, so you're not gaining anything you don't already have by going third party.

Aesthetics may be a consideration if you're considering an Andersen or similar style unit, but otherwise just install a commando socket and use the equipment supplied with the car!

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Yes there is duplication and third-party EVSE is not a requirement.

If you plan to carry your mobile charger plus with you in the car for regularly charging 'in the wild' then a wall-fixed home supply will save you the hassle of getting it in/out of the bag in the car etc. If you don't plan to use it 'in the wild' (I would argue most people do not) then just leave the mobile charger attached to your wall at home, connected to a commando socket, and you're good-to-go. I have both a commando socket and a Rolec unit in my garage so have experienced both options.

Third party EVSE usually sells itself by promoting 'smart' features such as the ability to set timers and remote charge monitoring but in the case of the Taycan the same monitoring and timers can be set in the car itself, or by using the Porsche Connect app, so you're not gaining anything you don't already have by going third party.

Aesthetics may be a consideration if you're considering an Andersen or similar style unit, but otherwise just install a commando socket and use the equipment supplied with the car!
Thanks A - This is very helpful and confirms my view and my conclusion.

90% of the time I will be charging at home and at night. Have calculated distribution capacity - I have more than enough Amps spare from late evening until to around 0700. I make perhaps 8-10 longer trips per annum and don't mind spending 5 mins coiling the supply unit up to take with.

The aesthetics of the inside of my garage are already somewhat compromised - it's a tip! So a commando socket in there won't hurt.

Outside I have a handy little alcove not visible from the street with a shrub in a planter to conceal - so a second 32A commando will go there for visitors.

Diversity is a wondrous thing!

Hope your Taycan comes soon Mr. M

cheers and thanks again guys.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Depends on circumstances.

The Porsche charger wouldn't work well for me.
Our garage has been converted into a gym and has an electric roller door.

I would need to put the commando in the garage and run a cable with the Porsche charger lying outside on the floor in all weather's and the hassle of packing/unpacking etc.

Made far more sense just to get a separate wall 'charger'

Matt W

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
hi. Just reading this thread with interest. So I’m thinking about just installing a 32a commando socket in garage and running lead under door to charge car. Can anyone tell me how long the cable is from the commando to the Porsche pcm, and the other end from the Porsche pcm to the car? Ie can the pcm be left inside garage so it’s just the trailing lead under the door. Do you have to use the pcm, or can you buy leads that go from commando to car and then just do all the programming/timing from the app.

My dad is a retired electrician, he’d definitely be good the commando install but probably to much of a push for a third party system.. with no grants anymore I’m kinda thinking £1300 for a third party system does not need to be a priority.

Any help appreciated

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
I have a tethered Zappi installed in my garage, going solar so it made sense for me. I have the mobile charger but don’t use it, though I understand it’s slower. I charge at 7.5kwh overnight (8 hours) with no issues at all, cost £1300 to install on single phase.

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
hi. Just reading this thread with interest. So I’m thinking about just installing a 32a commando socket in garage and running lead under door to charge car. Can anyone tell me how long the cable is from the commando to the Porsche pcm, and the other end from the Porsche pcm to the car? Ie can the pcm be left inside garage so it’s just the trailing lead under the door. Do you have to use the pcm, or can you buy leads that go from commando to car and then just do all the programming/timing from the app.

My dad is a retired electrician, he’d definitely be good the commando install but probably to much of a push for a third party system.. with no grants anymore I’m kinda thinking £1300 for a third party system does not need to be a priority.

Any help appreciated
Hi Matt - 1st if you are collecting a new car it may not have the mobile charger supplied -you may have to wait for a replacement (apparently its to do with new regulations - but other countries are affected and in the US they think its a faulty design). Your OPC may 'lend' you one of the 'unsupplied' ones until the new one arrives

Yes you can buy alternatives (around £300 ish) with longer leads 7.5M typically - make sure its 32A - and check quality - does it have an APP?

If 2nd hand car - the Porsche supplied one 'plus' version comes in 2 flavours 4.5M (standard) and 7.5M (cost option) between the little EVSE (charger box) and the car - The mains supply cable is only around 1 M (not sure) - the commando is water proof - the EVSE is waterproof - and the car connection is waterproof - you could always add an external commando cheaply - the main cost in the system will be in the metal cased, open PEN protection - RCBO. Check it is EV compatible.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have a tethered Zappi installed in my garage, going solar so it made sense for me. I have the mobile charger but don’t use it, though I understand it’s slower. I charge at 7.5kwh overnight (8 hours) with no issues at all, cost £1300 to install on single phase.
Standard Porsche PMC+ supports up to 9.6kW and so will charge at the same rate and speed as your Zappi - 7.4kW, 32A on single phase.

Personal choice but no need to have a different (unused) EVSE and effectively paying twice for the pleasure IMHO. Adding the Porsche HEM would have joined the dots with solar being added to the mix.

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
Standard Porsche PMC+ supports up to 9.6kW and so will charge at the same rate and speed as your Zappi - 7.4kW, 32A on single phase.

Personal choice but no need to have a different (unused) EVSE and effectively paying twice for the pleasure IMHO. Adding the Porsche HEM would have joined the dots with solar being added to the mix.
I didn’t realise there was an option for solar, but I’m happy with my choice, it’s neat and will hopefully be a good long term option. The stories about the PMC put me off as well.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Any help appreciated
For clarity the EVSE / "charger" is the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (PMC+).

PCM (Porsche Communications Manager) is the central media control center in the car and visually recognised as the central display.

The PMC+ is weather and water resistant (IP55) rated and so could be installed outside (personally I would choose to protect it in some way). The commando 32A 5 pin receptacle can also be installed outside.

The supply cable for the PMC+ is short but that is typical. The PMC+ to car cable is 4.5m by default unless you specify a 7.5m cable. Either cable could be extended but if your PMC+ is wall mounted near to the door then potentially the standard cable will be long enough.

The My Porsche App, My Porsche website or the PCM can be used to configure charging timers and profiles.

There is a question mark now on what EVSE Porsche are supplying and so you may not get a PMC+. If that is the case then you likely have better options out there to suit your use case with your EVSE mounted externally on a wall which is more compact and better engineered for outside use in all weathers.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I didn’t realise there was an option for solar, but I’m happy with my choice, it’s neat and will hopefully be a good long term option. The stories about the PMC put me off as well.
The "stories" are just that and predominantly related to the PMCC and not the PMC in the US market.

In UK / Europe I don't think there are any concerns at all but people have preferences and so the debate goes on.

Remember these EVSEs aren't chargers (the car has all the charging equipment onboard) and so simply supply an electrical supply safety to your car.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag

Any help appreciated
@smoothound is correct here… I collected a new car yesterday with no EVSE. Since I was trading in they let me take my old charger out of the car I was trading as it would have gone back to Porsche to be destroyed. Apparently a new one will come at some point. Might be worth checking with them if you plan to rely on this

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
The "stories" are just that and predominantly related to the PMCC and not the PMC in the US market.

In UK / Europe I don't think there are any concerns at all but people have preferences and so the debate goes on.

Remember these EVSEs aren't chargers (the car has all the charging equipment onboard) and so simply supply an electrical supply safety to your car.
Thanks for clarifying, I guess my long term thinking is the myenergi solution will offer a lot of functionality when I install solar, will wait and see.
Sponsored