Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan?

AddAlfa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Country flag
Completely different. Ceramic is a coating that wears off and PPF is a wrap. Ceramic cant repel pebbles and other road debris whereas PPF can and is self healing if scratched. PPF on the whole car makes indistinguishable. But on part of the car means you will have different wear and tear situations and care for the paint differently where you don’t have PPF.
Thanks. May I ask what the approximate cost is to PPF the whole car?
Sponsored

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Torv, reading a lot on the forum about different problems on these cars. How has your overall experience been?
My experience has been fairly flawless. The car itself has been rock solid and very much a Porsche. My only gripe is that the PCM is kind of wonky and troublesome. Frankly though, it’s a very minor annoyance and doesn’t distract at all from my love of this car.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
About $6,000, but you’ll never worry about the paint again and it always looks freshly waxed without any swirl marks.
Hardest part is giving up the car for another week+ while they work on it.

AddAlfa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My experience has been fairly flawless. The car itself has been rock solid and very much a Porsche. My only gripe is that the PCM is kind of wonky and troublesome. Frankly though, it’s a very minor annoyance and doesn’t distract at all from my love of this car.
Thanks. About 40 days away from delivery.

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Polestar 2
Country flag
PPF is the best investment you'll make in the car.
Xpel Ultimate Plus with the templates is an outstanding product.

Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? IMG_1987 (1).JPEG
Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? IMG-2579

Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? IMG-2695

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
A really good installer will tend to custom cut rather than use templates and the added cost will be worth it. The templates help with costs (for the installer) for the material optimization; however, they have to stretch the product to hide the seams, which can compromise the finish, depending on how slim the margins are with the template.

If the seams are exposed, grit and wax build up will develop in the crease...I just had a PPF complete done on my R8 and scheduled for one on this car in the next two weeks. I dont think there is anything out there better than stek - its finish is paint smooth with zero orange peel and in my case I am opting for a complete high gloss color change.

Up until my last 2 cars I had used Xpel. This product is FAR superior. Really blown away with its finish and durability. Also, it has extreme hydrophobic properties so no need for that extra ceramic coating that many do on their PPF.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
If the seams are exposed, grit and wax build up will develop in the crease...I just had a PPF complete done on my R8 and scheduled for one on this car in the next two weeks. I dont think there is anything out there better than stek - its finish is paint smooth with zero orange peel and in my case I am opting for a complete high gloss color change.

Up until my last 2 cars I had used Xpel. This product is FAR superior. Really blown away with its finish and durability. Also, it has extreme hydrophobic properties so no need for that extra ceramic coating that many do on their PPF.
My experience with STEK was the opposite. Completely trashed in less than a 1 year and I live primarily in S. FL with no winters/salted roads. Went with it once - never again. Back to Xpel Ultimate on all vehicles. Ultimate on 2 cars is perfect with zero orange peel and repels water well.
Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? RS PPF

Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? PPF & ceramic

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My experience with STEK was the opposite. Completely trashed in less than a 1 year and I live primarily in S. FL with no winters/salted roads. Went with it once - never again. Back to Xpel Ultimate on all vehicles. Ultimate on 2 cars is perfect with zero orange peel and repels water well.
RS PPF.jpg

PPF & ceramic.jpg
same or different installer? It usually has a LOT to do with that.

Also, what does "completely trashed" mean - this stuff is all self healing, so prep prior and application are almost always the reason for a failure.

My color change to dyno miami blue (from Mythos Black) looks like perfect OEM paint...I can't believe its PPF.

Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? IMG_1458

AddAlfa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PPF is the best investment you'll make in the car.
Xpel Ultimate Plus with the templates is an outstanding product.

IMG_1987 (1).JPEG
IMG-2579.jpg

IMG-2695.jpg
This is going to sound crazy but I don’t want the badges removed to do the PPF. $165K car and don’t want anything altered. Am I nuts or can they do XPEL without removing the badges or anything else?

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
This is going to sound crazy but I don’t want the badges removed to do the PPF. $165K car and don’t want anything altered. Am I nuts or can they do XPEL without removing the badges or anything else?
I was going to say that the badges should be removed. It's just a screw, and by not removing the badge, you now see a seam around the badge which can collect dirt.

The installer also needs to remove the side markers which are also attached by one screw. Certain parts that are easily removed should be removed.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
A really good installer will tend to custom cut rather than use templates and the added cost will be worth it. The templates help with costs (for the installer) for the material optimization; however, they have to stretch the product to hide the seams, which can compromise the finish, depending on how slim the margins are with the template.

Sorry, but template's do not require stretching. The template's can be altered in the software so that they are extended as far as you like, and template's mean that you do not need to take a knife to the material as much, reducing the risk of scoring the paint. My installer used template's on all my cars and don't really have any seams to speak of (certain curvy areas require seams because stretching the film and forcing it to fit the contour will risk it lifting easily in the future).

CygnusX-1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
as the other guy said, the badge removal/reattach is no big deal and you’ll get a better wrap result. I wouldn’t worry about it.

porscheguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TTS CT
Country flag
I’ve got a CT and had the entire car including pano roof wrapped in Xpel ultimate plus 10. Nothing was removed during install and everything looks great. Followed that up with a ceramic coating to repel dirt from collecting anywhere including seams.