Crack in roof; too risky to drive?

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
A few weeks back, a small rock flew off the back of a truck I was following. I heard it hit the glass roof.

Didn't think much of it but today I happened to notice where it hit. It's a tiny little dent and there's a hairline crack that begins from the point of impact and stretches maybe 80% of the way across the roof, from passenger side to driver side.

The windshield is not affected at all. The impact was on the roof just above the passenger side window.

I can't feel anything when I run my hand on the crack from the outside, and it's totally invisible from inside the car. It's a minor aesthetics issue at this point and I plan to get it fixed but is it also a safety issue? Was planning to take the Taycan on a road trip that'll have me out of town for about a month but would obviously use a different vehicle if it's not safe. What's the worst that could happen?

Again, I want to emphasize that the windshield is completely unaffected. There's nothing that would impair my vision. It's been a few weeks since impact and I didn't even notice it until today so presumably it's not getting worse rapidly. It's just a small impact crater and hairline crack.

I'll want to replace that roof at some point, but I'll likely put it off for a bit if it's not a safety issue. What kind of cost am I looking at (in USD)?
Sponsored

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Cracks like that tend to “spider” in all directions and while it's probably not a safety issue, it would bug the bejesus out of me. If I were you, I’d reach out to my insurance company to replace the glass. Your deductible is doubtless far less than the replacement cost.
Sponsored