bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Here are the bits that Porsche were quoting at me from the T&C's. Note, this was Porsche GB (though which Porsche Ireland ran through before Brexit), not just the dealer:

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 09.59.55.png

The key clause here is "directly of indirectly" ... which they were sticking to.

My installer, who was very experienced and professional was very frustrated with the situation and when removing the equipment.
Thanks for that. Sounds like the kind of thing Porsche GB would do - this entire process for me has been painful up to now and I haven't even taken delivery of the car yet!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
That was odd, as a the BlackVue dashcam is mounted totally separately from the vehicles system, and the battery pack only connects to the 12V outlet (meant for any power source) which only is on when the car is running.

Nothing is interfering with Porsches computer or cabling, so you’re dealers statement makes no sense. I’m pretty sure my dealer in Norway would never claim something like that.
I should note that I had the battery pack installed into a permanent 12v supply and then using the smarts of the battery unit to know to only draw power when car was running. The battery pack has a 12V supply from the car and monitors the ignition status to know when to recharge itself or not.

It didn't use the 12v socket and there was no way to "disconnect" it fully once installed.

However, the battery unit was designed for this installation scenario and the entire reason for it!

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
With all the cameras that are built-in to the Taycan it would be great if they could be used to record like a dashcam.

Maybe they will sell it as one of those apps on demand.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do you have the battery pack with that for parking mode?
You may want to look into the new 900x

Unless you park for long periods of time outside, It seems I may not need the battery pack as much since it has a voltage cut off, a timer and ability to turn off via the app

I was thinking thinking of the case where I would be parking the car in my garage and didn’t want it to keep draining the battery.

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Here's my BlackVue DR650. You might be able to see the expansion of the burst cap on top of the supercaps that are rated too low of a temperature for this application. I also found the thing unreliable and had to set up a script on my computer that would "ping" the camera on a regular basis to alert me whenever it stopped responding. Which obviously happened often enough that I created the script in the first place. I took it apart to see if I could fix it, since eventually it stopped working altogether in <4 years. No, I never got it working again.
I like the physical profile of the blackvue cameras, but IMO the build quality is garbage.

Porsche Taycan Dashcam IMG_20201026_102547

obscurelyfamous

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Chalk Taycan 4S
Country flag
I should note that I had the battery pack installed into a permanent 12v supply and then using the smarts of the battery unit to know to only draw power when car was running. The battery pack has a 12V supply from the car and monitors the ignition status to know when to recharge itself or not.

It didn't use the 12v socket and there was no way to "disconnect" it fully once installed.

However, the battery unit was designed for this installation scenario and the entire reason for it!
Do you have any more details on your installation, e.g. parts and setup? I’m interested in something similar but concerned about the parking mode draining the battery while I’m parked at home in my garage (and plugged into the EV charger).

Ideally the installation would make using the dashcam seamless without needing to manually turn it on/off.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Here's my BlackVue DR650. You might be able to see the expansion of the burst cap on top of the supercaps that are rated too low of a temperature for this application. I also found the thing unreliable and had to set up a script on my computer that would "ping" the camera on a regular basis to alert me whenever it stopped responding. Which obviously happened often enough that I created the script in the first place. I took it apart to see if I could fix it, since eventually it stopped working altogether in <4 years. No, I never got it working again.
I like the physical profile of the blackvue cameras, but IMO the build quality is garbage.

IMG_20201026_102547.jpg
Interesting - I've had a the higher end 900 model for close to 5 years with zero issues - seems to work flawlessly TBH albeit I never use their crappy SW and just download/view the movie files to view with other apps.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Has been discussed in a few threads here - expensive compared to competition and has some pretty terrible reviews from forum users (no personal experience) - takes up a lot of screen real estate.

rma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cayenne e hybrid, urus, huracan evo
Country flag
Do you have any more details on your installation, e.g. parts and setup? I’m interested in something similar but concerned about the parking mode draining the battery while I’m parked at home in my garage (and plugged into the EV charger).

Ideally the installation would make using the dashcam seamless without needing to manually turn it on/off.
Ive got a similar setup with a DR 750s LTE 2 Channel with a blackvue battery pack - relatively easy for a novice with a basic trim tool set from amazon - cabling routed along the headliner all the way to the boot, battery pack is in the boot (under the rear most section that lifts up) using the cigarette lighter (12v) point in the boot as well. Totally reversible, no splicing, and no issues with warranty. The battery charges using the 12v point which is switched on and off with the car so no drain. Lasts around 24-30 hours with 2 channel

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 MK 2 MR2 GT T-Bar, 2002 Volvo S80
Country flag
its not just Porsche who treat fixed dash cam installs with contempt, BMW are the same, but given the small risks involved with an install vs the risk of a traffic accident, I had one installed anyway.

Will have to do more research before installing on the Taycan when it eventually rocks up.

targaben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, GT4, Macan
Country flag
Really don't know why all manufacturers don't either fit dash cams as standard built in or as a factory extra. Make life much easier than diy. Especially when they all have some sort of cameras built in anyway for other purposes. My old Tesla 3 did have one but you had to put a usb drive to record onto. I am sure eventually this will happen but how its not more industry standard already is crazy.
Sponsored